Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ATF eForms

Downloads
    Uploads

ATF eForms

I just got an email notification from Silencer Shop that says the ATF will be launching eFile in December of 2021. They said it's expected to go live sometime between the 15th and 28th of this month.

One would hope that this makes the filing and approval of suppressors to be on par with that of SBRs.

Anyway posted here for discussion purposes.

Link below to the Silencer Shop blog talking about the new moves.

https://www.silencershop.com/blog/po...pcouyggv5mciom

Downloads
    Uploads

Downloads
    Uploads
    All this being said at present I might get 'one more' suppressor, that being another 9mm can. I have two for each caliber so far except for 9mm.

I don't shoot enough 45 to warrant getting cans for that caliber but nothing is impossible.

Regardless if I get one more or ten more it would be nice to not take a year to get a tax stamp.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    One would hope that this makes the filing and approval of suppressors to be on par with that of SBRs.
    Is it too much to hope for a much better experience than the e-form process for Form 1? That was certainly built by the lowest bidder. I suspect they just added Form 4 to what they already have. Still, it's worth putting up with the pain of navigating e-forms for the reduction in wait time. I have two cans in jail so will be curious if this can help with those.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by BoilerUp View Post
    Is it too much to hope for a much better experience than the e-form process for Form 1? That was certainly built by the lowest bidder. I suspect they just added Form 4 to what they already have. Still, it's worth putting up with the pain of navigating e-forms for the reduction in wait time. I have two cans in jail so will be curious if this can help with those.
    According to the link above it won't help with anything already submitted/cashed. It's just new stuff.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I’m gonna be less than thrilled if these start getting like 3 week approvals and stuff already in the works gets pushed back

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by BoilerUp View Post
    Took 4 damn tries to get my form 1 done. Sumbitch kept shutting down and taking me back to the splash page.
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    According to the link above it won't help with anything already submitted/cashed. It's just new stuff.
    But they also warn people not to pull their app and resubmit; that doing so would just lengthen their wait, so hopefully the process is applied evenly according to that instruction.
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    I got a can i docusigned last week and no movement as far as Shipping, so I’m assuming I’m in line to get mine in the efile line.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well, I think that's what happened with they came out with e-forms for Form 1. It didn't noticeably delay the processing of paper, but the e-file was a worked as a separate queue. It figures, since SS mailed in my Form 4 the day before this announcement, so I'll probably be sitting for 6-8 months while others will start getting their e-form stamps back in 2.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The major part of the delay with paper forms is the collection and shipping. The ATF doesn't process a form and then mail it off, and it's been made worse by moving the check/charge processing to a different part of the country. The short version is that the forms you send go to the money collection office. Your forms sit with many others until there's enough to ship a whole tub together. Then the form itself gets processed, and then those forms sit in a tub until it's full and then it gets sent off to be returned. On top off that, the background collection is a process that has the lowest priority, behind whatever other backgrounds are needed by the collecting agency (from what I understand, it's the FBI and not the military investigation agency).

So bottom line, a big wait is the shipping of paperwork x2 (or maybe it's x3...I can't remember). Hopefully eFile Form 4s will be as quick as the other forms. It's sure taken them long enough to come out of beta.

Downloads
    Uploads
    If they were serious about cutting their work load, they would allow several NFA items on the same form. I won’t hold my breath.
    “ When I comes to modern politics, I think the inverse of Hanlon's Razor applies...In other words, "Never attribute to stupidity that which is adequately explained by malice." - Kerplode

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Uffdaphil View Post
    If they were serious about cutting their work load, they would allow several NFA items on the same form. I won’t hold my breath.
    With eFile you're kind of doing that now. You can batch process multiple items and only one background check is completed (or not at all if you fall into the time window).

I just hope eFile is stable enough that it's able to stay up when all the dealers hit it at once submitting items.

Downloads
    Uploads
    You can do that for suppressors? Will the SS kiosk be considered eFile? I’d love to get two more .30 cals.
    “ When I comes to modern politics, I think the inverse of Hanlon's Razor applies...In other words, "Never attribute to stupidity that which is adequately explained by malice." - Kerplode

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Uffdaphil View Post
    Will the SS kiosk be considered eFile? I’d love to get two more .30 cals.
    The kiosk is not 'e-file'. It was a way to make collecting information about people easier. When they had 41F finally put in place you had to get prints and this and that...and if you had 4 people on your trust that meant each person would have to get fingerprint cards and whatever for each stamp.

With the kiosk they can store one set of prints indefinitely and just print them out as needed. It turned the process into almost a once and done system.

None the less they would still print out your documents and get a physical envelope and mail stuff to the ATF on your behalf. I recall Silencer Shop posting pictures of pallets full of documents waiting to be mailed to the ATF. They literally had to be picked up by forklift.

With e-File all that snail mail goes away. Instead of having to print out everything and stuff envelopes it can be submitted all online.