Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Former11B View Post
    I’m very curious to see how the upgrade is.

I’d like to do it but reeeeeally want to know how the new ones sound and perform etc

If it trimmed even a little bit of weight that would also be awesome but just a bonus
    I have my first Recce 5 in a box ready to go. Got super busy the last few days so I haven't sent it off yet.

If you are patient I will let you know in about a month or so how it goes.

In the first post above I referenced some numbers...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    I have my first Recce 5 in a box ready to go. Got super busy the last few days so I haven't sent it off yet.

If you are patient I will let you know in about a month or so how it goes.

In the first post above I referenced some numbers...
    The numbers on paper look good but I really want someone’s first hand experience

I’m not sending it off until my Nomad LT comes in so I’ve got about 8 more months I think

Downloads
    Uploads
    The numbers on paper look good but I really want someone’s first hand experience

I’m not sending it off until my Nomad LT comes in so I’ve got about 8 more months I think
    I will let you know in about a month. I just placed the order today.

I hope it works out good too...I know this is a 5.56 can I am sending in, but if my 9mm can is any indication I am not that worried. I can honestly say that I am STILL extremely glad that I sent my 9mm can in for the upgrade when it became available. Seriously, on the 9mm can the difference was big (in a good way). I can only hope it will be the same for this one.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Suppressor is officially gone back as of today, February 16 via FedEx.

They said it can be up to 30 days to get it done (after they get it), which is fine. I'm not in a hurry and I have a spare 5.56 can as well as my Optimus Micro to hold me over.

I've never shot 5.56 through my Micro yet so this might give me an excuse to try it.

None the less my policy of having two cans per caliber is very nice.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Got notification today that my suppressor upgrade is done. Less than two weeks total turnaround time. It's scheduled to be delivered back to me on Saturday.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've had my suppressor back for a couple of weeks. Honestly I haven't had a ton of time to shoot recently but I did put a few mags through it on two different hosts so this is my first impressions only. I shot it on my 10.5" and my 16" rifles.

Normally I shoot suppressed about 100% of the time and with 5.56 I am always wearing ear pro. That fact alone (that I wear ear pro) is the only factor that even puts a little bit of hesitation in this equation for me. If I am wearing ear pro all the time is (or rather was) it worth it?
    On balance I would say I am glad I did it for a number of reasons.

I am not a high volume shooter and I have multiple cans so my baffles were nowhere near being worn out. I just like the idea of an upgrade and so far it hasn't disappointed. I shot the guns just before sending off the can, and two weeks later when I got it back I got some ammo from the same bucket and tested the revisions trying to keep everything constant.

So far the biggest thing that jumps out is on my 10.5" it was very noticeably quieter at the ear, like a lot quieter. I took a single shot without ear pro on and it was much quieter from that aspect. I went from a Gen 3 Recce 5 to the latest baffles and they are not kidding when they said it was 'improved'. That said I am always wearing ear pro (except for really rare instances) so that's the only thing that made me hesitate to do it. On balance I am glad I did it. If there ever is some kind of absolute emergency where I don't have time to go get some ear pro on it is definitely going to be better.

The workmanship was extremely good. The welds are absolutely flawless. I think they use some kind of automated robotic laser welder now and it shows. That part is quite impressive actually on how it turned out. They do also refinish the can so it is literally like getting a brand new suppressor. The only thing (cosmetically) that changed isn't really worth mentioning but in the interest of full disclosure here we go. Where the front cap transitions to the tube body there is now an ever so slight ledge now whereas before it was kind of rounded at that transition point. It doesn't look bad at all. I spent 6+ years staring at that can and that is literally the only thing that is cosmetically different than what it was before. And as I already said the welds are flawless by anyone's standards.

Hopefully I can get more time using it, particularly in different conditions. The day that I shot it it was slightly windy outside and in my experience that helps prevent getting gassed out. When a really calm day comes around I will try to induce gas to the face but I have a feeling that too will be in general reduced a bit vs before.

In the three graphics attached, one is from Silencer Shop's tests using a lot older equipment and a 16" gun. That lists the ear number at 144DB. The other two is going from Mod 4 to the latest baffles. The regular Mod 4 shows an at the ear sound of 135.98 DB at the ear on a 16" gun. The latest baffles and using the same ammo and same testing equipment shows a 131.98 DB reading.

At least in theory those videos show a 12 DB reduction at the ear from the generation just prior to mine (in the Silencer Shop video it was a Gen 2 and mine was a Gen 3). 12 DB at the ear is A LOT. Going from Mod 4 to now it shows a drop of 4 DB.

With all that in mind I can confidently say that the ear noise from what I had to now is down by around to 6-8 DB, and probably a bit more (but that's all academic). All I know is it's CLEARLY quieter at the ear.

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 210
Size:  248.0 KB
    Name:  Capture2.JPG
Views: 207
Size:  323.6 KB
    Name:  Capture3.JPG
Views: 206
Size:  375.8 KB
    Last edited by alamo5000; 15 March 2022 at 12:48.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The basic summary is this:

If you have a Mod 3 or older (if it's eligible to upgrade) then it's worth it. If you have a regular Mod 4, it's not worth it. I did have a Mod 3, and I do have a regular (pre eco-baffle) Mod 4. I won't be upgrading the Mod 4. Not enough evolutionary change or improvement to make it worth the cost to go from Mod 4 to the eco baffles.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Sounds like I need to send mine in.

Did the weight change any?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Sounds like I need to send mine in.

Did the weight change any?
    I didn't weigh it but I don't think so. If so it was very minimal.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I sent this write up over to my neighbor and he’s already purchased the upgrade from griffin. Is planning on shooting his Mod3 Recce 5 over the weekend on a 10.5” and 16” along with his YHM Turbo to see how it sounds after the baffle swap is done.

I am gonna try to get mine done before the summer

Downloads
    Uploads
    I sent this write up over to my neighbor and he’s already purchased the upgrade from griffin. Is planning on shooting his Mod3 Recce 5 over the weekend on a 10.5” and 16” along with his YHM Turbo to see how it sounds after the baffle swap is done.

That's awesome. I am glad to have helped even if in some little way. I definitely don't have any complaints so far.

Downloads
    Uploads

Do you have any update as to this? Going through old threads looking for something and saw this.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Just got my Paladin 300 back from GA with the upgrade. They only had it for a few days, so pretty happy with the turn around time. I had minor damage to a baffle so this was a convenient way to address that and get the product improvements. I mostly run this on my 300 BLK SBR so will try to get it out for testing soon.

Separately, I didn't realize the Paladin is rated for 300 Win Mag, so I have a question out to GA if it's ok to run with 300 Norma Mag as my other .30 cans are not.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by BoilerUp View Post
    Just got my Paladin 300 back from GA with the upgrade. They only had it for a few days, so pretty happy with the turn around time. I had minor damage to a baffle so this was a convenient way to address that and get the product improvements. I mostly run this on my 300 BLK SBR so will try to get it out for testing soon.

Separately, I didn't realize the Paladin is rated for 300 Win Mag, so I have a question out to GA if it's ok to run with 300 Norma Mag as my other .30 cans are not.
    I would think it would be fine. I looked up load data on Hodgdon's website and the PSI/CUP data is pretty similar. That said I would definitely ask GA directly.

Win Mag has pressures up to 64K PSI on some loads. Given that is the MAX out of all loads on their site.

Norma Mag on the other hand (based on their tests/data) tops out a little over 60K PSI on certain loads.

In other words, in terms of pressures (based on Hodgdon's data) Norma Mag is a slight step DOWN in terms of pressure from the Win Mag (on average, considering all the load data they published).

Edit: Please let us know how it turns out when you shoot it (comparing to the older baffles).

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by BoilerUp View Post

What barrel lengths on the 300 Norma?

If it’s a rifle length barrel, not an SBR type thing (which I doubt), you’ll be fine. I PMd a GA employee on another forum and posed the scenario and the 300 Norma was given the go ahead