Downloads
    Uploads

The latest thing I did (AR porject)

Apologies for the wordy post, but it's colder'n hell outside, so while I'm waiting and hoping it warms up a touch, I thought I'd put up a rundown of this latest project. If you're allergic to reading and proper grammar, you may skip to the list. []

So, it all started with an innocent lower receiver purchase; we can all use an extra lower for the safe, right? Anyway, Brownell's was selling blem Geissele lowers for cheepy-cheep back in early November, and I decided to grab one while the getting's good. I'd originally wanted to pick up the set, but those were sold out by the time I decided I "needed one of these". I'll admit, it was kind of an impulse buy, but with the damn things OOS almost solid since the 2019 BF fiasco, like I said; for me it was as good a time as any to get one, considering ya never know when they'll be back in stock. Enter Black Friday 2021...

When I start a project, I normally have it all planned out, and assemble the parts from a list made based on my reasearch of what I want the rifle for, and what parts I want assemble it with. This was going to be an SBR, loosely based on the latest iteration of the venerable Mk 18, or as Bill G calls it, the URGI. I grabbed parts simply because they were available, and again; ya never know, so this could be labeled a total impulse buy on my part, but it has been on my want list for a while. Problem is, because I was just grabbing parts, I failed to follow my usual ordered process and hit several hard stops along the way. I'm no gunsmith, but I have built some experience along the way as I've assembled all of my rifles, following established methods including headspacing, staking, etc.

You might questions some of the choices I made, but I decided to give some things a try, with the biggest question being the barrel. I would love to have been able to find a CHF/CL, FN, Colt, BCM, whatever, but they just aren't out there right now; if any of you would like to offer me a 10.5" with pedigree specs for a price that's fair to both of us, please pm me. In the end, I wound-up giving the shot to Roscoe's Bloodline 10.5", as they are known to have some mil contracts (although I know that's not a sign of "as good as"), and they spec their gas port to .069" making it less gassy than 95% of the competition. Also, they're 100% American made in-house at their manufacturing facility, which is important. Who knows? It might work out to be a great choice and permanent solution for as long as it lasts. Anyway, impulse driven, get it now processes create headaches! I normally have a decent supply of spares in the ole' bin, but this time, I hit hard stops with the pivot pin (I have 5 takedowns, so why no pivots?), buffer retainer, and bolt catch springs. Each time, figuring incorrectly that my ocean of spares was sufficient to finish, I resumed, and hit the next stop. Frustrating, but that made me fix my spares situation, so lesson learned.

I expect some poo-poo-ing for a couple of my choices, and plan to replace if they don't work out, or simply out of OCD. Constructive criticism is always appreciated and taken under advisement as I respect the opinions of this group. So here it is.

Lower:
    Geissele Super Duty forged (Blem)
    " " Ultra 5 axis trigger guard (Because who didn't put the fancy KAC guard on their lower builds?)
    " " Super Dynamic Combat 2 stage trigger
    " " Maritime Bolt Catch
    " " Buffer Tube and H2 Super 42 buffer and spring
    " " Mil Spec LPK
    Radian Talon Selector
    BCM Mod 3 grip
    B5 Enhanced SOPMOD stock
    FCD Mag Release

Upper:
    ADM Forged upper receiver
    Rainier Nitride BCG
    Roscoe Bloodline 10.5" nitrided barrel and gas tube
    BAD gas block
    Geissele Paratrooper CH
    Geissele 9.5" MK 16 rail
    Griffin Flashcomp
    Magpul MBUS Pro offset irons
    FCD LSFA (replacing the stock unit when I get around to it)

Optic:
    AimPoint Micro T2 on a Geissele Super Precision 1.93" mount

Name:  20220129_105507.jpg
Views: 560
Size:  1.22 MB
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Looks good to me. The Chem Light really completes it.

And I'm also to the point where I'll sometimes buy stuff just to try even though I know what I like and what I think works best for me.

Not familiar with Rosco but with a 10.5 inch barrel with a RDS you probably aren't shooting for groups. Price looks attractive. I would have gone 11.5, personally, but will be interested to hear how you like it.

The only thing I'd really question is a nitride bolt. It's been speculated that the nitride process really shouldn't be applied to bolts because of the heat treatment and, in theory, risks making the bolt more brittle. I have lots of BCGs to include two RA's and have yet to break a bolt, but all I really buy anymore are phosphate BCMs.

Oh, and maybe something on the handguard to index your grip? I've been playing with the BCM KAGs.

Silly question...was that B5 SOPMOD a recent purchase? It seems that their FDE color has varied a lot over time so I'm curious if that's recent or one you've had a while. I just ordered an FDE one yesterday for a Block 2 build.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I hadn't heard that about the nitride process, but I'm kind of ashamed, as I claim to be a steel snob as knives go. Makes sense, subjecting a heat treated part to the nitride process, as I imagine the hot salt bath is above the temper heat used to harden the bolt and carrier, although I've probably got 8k through that particular bolt as it's a new rifle whore part. I really can't bring myself to drop the $350 Bill wants for his sooper-dooper nano weapon BCG, although all it takes is a wild impulsive hair, and poof: Sooper Dooper!

I briefly considered the 11.5" and decided that I wanted to stick somewhat close to the Mk-18 template and do a better job than with the 300 BLK I put together years ago. It's nice, but the billet lower doesn't really fit, but look what people did with the original RECCE specs.

On the SOPMOD, they offer it in Coyote as well as FDE. I wanted to darken it up a little and that was perfect. I wish BCM would follow suit with their grips so I could complete the look, but it is, what it is. I bought it at DSG, but as far as I know, these have been available for a while now.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Nice build. Looks like you just made your own 10.5" Geissele Clone Upper to match your lower. You doing NV or just like the 1.93? I'm thinking if you don't go with NV, you could lower the mount and get standard BUIS instead of offset.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I think the mount looks badass, but my neck fusions love it. My want list includes at least a single tube. My justification is coyote hunting. I just need to save the shekels for a PVS-14. Not ruling out a rifle mounted optic, but the way coyotes like to surround you, it's better to track with your head.

Also, I dig the offsets. I'm shooting old cans of beans and steel targets and only timing myself, not competing. so the transition doesn't hurt me. I have my blackout set up for lower 1/3rd, but it feels cramped. My old-ass eyes don't like to switch from sights to target in that micro peephole.

PS: I am thinking about the VG or some such. Also have plans for a Scout 300 and remote/mount.
    Last edited by Joelski; 29 January 2022 at 14:56.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    Nice build. Looks like you just made your own 10.5" Geissele Clone Upper to match your lower. You doing NV or just like the 1.93? I'm thinking if you don't go with NV, you could lower the mount and get standard BUIS instead of offset.
    Scalarworks is making 1.93" BUIS.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    Scalarworks is making 1.93" BUIS.
    That's why I mentioned standard BUIS. You could just get some $65 MBUS vs $200+ Scalarworks sights.

If he was running NV, I'd say yeah, go for it the Scalarworks BUIS. Personally, I like the 1.7"

Downloads
    Uploads
    Cause 1.93 is so much better on short barreled setups

#needsfdeupper

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by mustangfreek View Post
    Cause 1.93 is so much better on short barreled setups

#needsfdeupper
    Come see me when you have 3 fused neck vertebrae, tough guy.

Downloads
    Uploads
    If that's what works for you, then who am I to judge really? I'll only add to say run it if it hasn't been and if things need to be changed or corrected, running it is how we the rifleman, find out.

Curious, why the chemlight and not the sling cinched with that sling keeper from FCD? I got out in 2011 after 21 years, so I may be a bit behind the times. Emergency IR chemlight illumination source or something else TACSOP related?