Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Turnkey PCC Rifle Options

Unfortunately the range I normally go to is going 10+ months of being closed and I'm not sure if it's actually going to open again, at least anytime soon. That means the other two options in my area are either a public range that's just not a fun place to shoot, or a semi-public range that has additional bays for members where you can shoot with a holster and do transitions. Those bays, however, require pistol caliber rifles and no center-fire rifles are allowed back there.

At the moment, if I were to join there, that only leaves me with either shooting a .22 AR or a MP5. I would like to be able to get back into shooting regularly, to include reps with an AR-configured gun.

There was a thread earlier about PCCs, but I can't find it, and what I'm asking here is a little more of a narrow question. I'm asking for options for a turnkey, AR-style 9mm rifle. It doesn't have to be a SBR/pistol, and honestly it would make it easier if it wasn't.

The two main options seem to be either the Colt 9mm or the myriad of Glock-mag-based ARs, but a lot of them seem to be all over the place on reliability. The Colt would be the easiest solution and pretty cost effect at ~$1000, as all I would need to do is throw a rail that I already have on there, except I'd also have to buy mags, which aren't cheap.

The Glock options make the mag problem a little easier, as they're cheaper, but I don't own any 33-rnd mags, so I'd have to buy some for that, too.

I've seen the Sig MCX PCC, but that seems like it's got a lot more going on than I need or want.

Anything else I'm missing? And is there a turnkey 9mm Glock-based AR that works and doesn't have "Aero Precision" on the side of it? (I keeeeeed! kind of).

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have a New Frontier Armory PCC (pistol config) in .45 ACP. They offer 9mm and 40 Cal as well. They use Glock magazines. "Build it online" and mine came in around eight bills not counting irons and RDS. It has functioned well ... so far.

You can order stuff for a pistol config, or rifle config. Stripped lowers and uppers, or complete uppers and lowers. Mine shown below - I've replace the blade with an SBA-3

NRA Benefactor Member
    NRA Certified Instructor

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on."
    John Wayne - "The Shootist"

Downloads
    Uploads
    Maybe look at something like this. Keep in mind I've never used any of them.

Downloads
    Uploads
    CMMG Banshee
    “ When I comes to modern politics, I think the inverse of Hanlon's Razor applies...In other words, "Never attribute to stupidity that which is adequately explained by malice." - Kerplode

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry R View Post
    I have a New Frontier Armory PCC (pistol config) in .45 ACP. They offer 9mm and 40 Cal as well. They use Glock magazines. "Build it online" and mine came in around eight bills not counting irons and RDS. It has functioned well ... so far.
    Any idea how many rounds you've put through it? Looking at their site, they do appear to be a decent option.

Quote Originally Posted by Uffdaphil View Post
    CMMG Banshee
    All of the ones I see are pistols (or SBRs), which I don't really want to deal with. However a Banshee upper on something like Alamo posted might be a solution.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by gatordev View Post
    Any idea how many rounds you've put through it? Looking at their site, they do appear to be a decent option.
    I've only run a few hundred through it; mostly hardball. But, it didn't have any problems with my 200g SWC reloads either.
    NRA Benefactor Member
    NRA Certified Instructor

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on."
    John Wayne - "The Shootist"

Downloads
    Uploads
    Gator, I missed that you only wanted carbine length. The CMMG Resolute is the 16.1” model available for Glock or Colt mags. It is spendy at $1800 (Cerakote included), but for me the less violent recoil delayed blowback system is worth it. Don’t have the dough for the 9mm Banshee yet. Be aware it may be a looong wait. My 7.62x39 Banshee took 21 weeks.

You can also use just the upper for your standard AR lower with adapter and save maybe $3-400 bucks. I had a Palmetto Glock 16” 9mm Glock pattern that I replaced with a 7” barrel. I sold it because of the obnoxious clouds of gas suppressed. And I don’t really trust Palmetto for serious use.

https://cmmg.com/resolute-mkgs-9mm-16-1
    “ When I comes to modern politics, I think the inverse of Hanlon's Razor applies...In other words, "Never attribute to stupidity that which is adequately explained by malice." - Kerplode

Downloads
    Uploads
    I put together an Aero Precision EPC. In hindsight, I'm not sure why I bothered as blowback isn't really that enjoyable after shooting better operating systems.

I'd suggest you really consider the Sig MPX. It's a duty and/or competition quality firearm with some pretty innovative engineering. It's a good weapon and one of my favorites. If you've got an MP5, you'll appreciate the smooth cycling of the short stroke gas piston. I actually think it's a bit smoother than the roller lock design.

If that just doesn't do it for you, then the CMMG radial delayed blowback would probably be the next thing I'd consider.

After that, choosing a blowback AR9s would be a function of personal preference for the features / brand you like, but kind of like a 308 AR I'd suggest trying to keep as many of the parts as possible from the same manufacturer to help ensure it works well out the box, but I generally view all of them as range toys. My EPC is fun, I guess, but I'm about to send the barrel back to AP so they can replace it with one with an improved feed ramp design as they are known to have issues with flat nose / TMJ rounds.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The intent of this is just a range trainer, so the ammo used would pretty much be 115gr ball. That said, after perusing the options here, I think I'm leaning towards the Banshee upper with an existing lower/mag adapter. Seems to be a functional answer that's under budget, even after buying the adapters. I can use an already Form 1'ed lower I have and grab an in-stock short upper. I still need to do some more research on the uppers.

Probably the quickest way to get my original range to open back up is to buy this and then I won't need it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The intent of this is just a range trainer, so the ammo used would pretty much be 115gr ball. That said, after perusing the options here, I think I'm leaning towards the Banshee upper with an existing lower/mag adapter. Seems to be a functional answer that's under budget, even after buying the adapters. I can use an already Form 1'ed lower I have and grab an in-stock short upper. I still need to do some more research on the uppers.

Probably the quickest way to get my original range to open back up is to buy this and then I won't need it.
    Figured you'd be a Colt 6951 guy. Kind of a set it and forget it like you're looking for, and if you want to dump it, you'll get what you paid.

Also you mentioned mags for the Colt. Try the Duramags. They have worked well for me and are around $20.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Angstadt Arms makes some nice ones

Here’s a 9mm rifle, takes Glock mags and looks like it needs little upgrading save for maybe trigger, optic and light

https://angstadtarms.com/product/udp-9-rifle/

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    Figured you'd be a Colt 6951 guy. Kind of a set it and forget it like you're looking for, and if you want to dump it, you'll get what you paid.

Also you mentioned mags for the Colt. Try the Duramags. They have worked well for me and are around $20.
    Initially I was figuring that was the way I'd go, but the Banshee upper is an interesting option. The other benefit of going with the Colt is I can pop off the FSP and throw a spare C4 10" rail on there and it matches a lot of my other configurations of a 10-inch-ish rail system on short guns.

Good to hear about the Duramags. I saw them listed for decent prices.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Former11B View Post
    Angstadt Arms makes some nice ones

Here’s a 9mm rifle, takes Glock mags and looks like it needs little upgrading save for maybe trigger, optic and light

https://angstadtarms.com/product/udp-9-rifle/

That looks like another option. I'm also going back to the original Colt idea. After looking at the Banshee selection vs price, an 8" gun doesn't make sense if I'm trying to create a training gun that emulates my other rifles. The Colt only requires me to do some minor gunsmithing and I'd have a copy with no additional expenses (other than the mags). If I can buy it locally for what an online + transfer price would be, it seems like a winner. I'll have to see if that Angstadt Arms is sold locally, as well.

BoilerUp: You seem to not appreciate the standard blow-back operating system. Assuming this isn't suppressed, would you agree that it's still a liveable experience?

I feel like I've created my own Alamo thread.

Downloads
    Uploads
    BoilerUp: You seem to not appreciate the standard blow-back operating system. Assuming this isn't suppressed, would you agree that it's still a liveable experience?
    Ha! Yes, totally livable, but after you've shot an MP5 I think you get a little spoiled and I'm the type that would rather put $800 towards a $2,000 thing I love instead of spending the money on something that is "livable". In hindsight, I'm not really sure why I felt the need to build the EPC. I just kind of wanted to play with the AR9 thing but was ultimately disappointed. The recoil impulse between a blowback 9 and a .233 is very different.

I'm curious if a 22LR conversion kit would serve your purposes? I've always been tempted to try one of those. Then you are shooting your exact same rifle and mags have the same profile.

Downloads
    Uploads

I feel like I've created my own Alamo thread.
    And this here folks, is why I love this place.