I have been thinking about getting some type of night vision for a while now. I will definitely have to save up for it, but it's a good goal to have.

The question is between night vision and thermal, which one would you get (and why)?

I'm sure there are pros and cons to each one, I'm just not familiar enough to know enough to make a decision.

I am not (yet) asking for specific recommendations but rather a why or why not for each one. Later on I can get into specifics.

In general though I don't want to spend some insane amount. I would say between $1000 and $2000 would be the price range.

I also don't need anything to see a mile away. I'm primarily thinking about say a 100 to 200ish yard ability to ID and/or take a shot.

I'm not sure what form any of this will take. I've seen tons of people with helmet mounted gear and all that, but I've also seen pic rail mounted options, and even things that mount to an existing scope.

At this point I am thinking about maybe mounting something on my 300blk or even my 10.5. Both of them have RDS and one is QD so taking them off isn't a big deal.

I don't know enough to really make any kind of decision but hopefully I can learn more going forward.