Uploads

The PSA JAKL

Name:  51655124146_1.jpg
Views: 720
Size:  73.9 KB

Name:  51655124146_4.jpg
Views: 1096
Size:  96.8 KB

Who has heard of these? Apparently they are still in development, which has been a several years long process but supposedly they are getting ready for release.

It's a fully captured bolt and carrier using a long stroke piston system. It's sort of a hybrid AR/AK. It can use any standard AR lower and any standard mags. It's a non reciprocating side charger that can be fired in the folded position.

On the surface of it something like this could potentially be a great car/truck gun. Eliminating the buffer tube assembly would make this a lot easier to stow.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Is this actually ready for release, or is this like the PSA MP5?

On the surface, I think I'd rather get a Brownells BRN-180

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post

They have been advertising it a lot recently and several YouTubers have videos of them shooting the thing. According to what I saw they had a prototype back in 2020 but when they ran it during tests they had to go back and redesign a few things. So in essence this is the release 2.0 only the first time it was never actually released.

Supposedly this is going to hit the shelves soon, I guess. I don't ever keep track of industry stuff so I am not the one to ask. I can only tell what I saw and heard on the internet

Downloads
    Uploads
    I guess they are trying to replicate the commercial success of the Sig 556

Downloads
    Uploads

This times 100

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Former11B View Post
    This times 100
    Can either of you explain a little bit why you would prefer one to the other? I am not at ALL married to anything so it would be cool to see what the pros have to say.

Why would you like the BRN-180? I've only passively heard of it but obviously no deep dives into either.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Because it's fucking cool.

Name:  20210524_194515_Original.jpg
Views: 1393
Size:  95.6 KB

Actually, it helps that it's made by PWS (and not PSA). It fits onto an AR lower and it's a short stroke piston system. Early versions had fitment issues with many lowers, but PWS has largely corrected that (by averaging the variation in specs among several lowers, I would imagine). That said, I opted to build mine on a modern 180 lower (Billet. The OG version of the lower is forged). Outside of a couple hiccups with the first mag or two, it's been trouble free, and I wouldn't have an problem using it to defend myself or my home. the barrel has a properly sized (if smallish) gas port, and doesn't require the suppressed setting in my experience (Some have had gas/feed issues stemming from use of the suppressed setting).

It's a reciprocating side-charger. Some people have reported interference with the stock dogleg charging handle and optics when racking that seems to be related to oversized dickbeaters. I never noticed that issue before I put the PRO on it, and am using a straight handle that doesn't interfere with anything. It has a noticeably skinny rail, which, combined with it's light weight is nice for handling, but it can heat-up quick when firing a lot in succession. There are various solutions to help with that. The 180 has a long history of being just a cool-ass weapon, and this version of it doesn't disappoint. It's different enough to scratch the itch for a non-AR and the ability to fire folded is a hoot that the LAW doesn't compare with.

Name:  20210716_234946.jpg
Views: 645
Size:  2.12 MB

My long term plan is to SBR it, but the difference between the SIG-style stock and the brace hasn't produced a compulsion (It's freaking identical) to get that done.

Pros: No gas to the face, runs clean, light weight, looks cool, folds up small-ish and fires that way. Decent price for a self-contained upper. Ability to roll old school, or present day with 2 different available lowers from Brownell's, plus a 3rd from 17DM. Only requires one Allen wrench to completely strip the entire upper.

Cons: Issues with firing with the port door closed (Resolved, IIRC), odd charging handle that can interfere with charging if an optic is in a certain spot (Alternate handle available from AR180parts.com), skinny rail heats up quickly when firing like you mean it (there's no need for full retard!), AR receiver extension hoop requires a picatinny adapter in order to use a folding stock with a non-BRN specific lower (That's a snivel, IMO and should be part of the purchase plan when buying. Hell, Brownell's sells them as an optional package now too).

Name:  20220109_215026.jpg
Views: 852
Size:  1.12 MB

People whinge about the muzzle device, which is a throwback to the original. Being a suppressor guy, you shouldn't bat an eye at putting a compatible MD on it to be able to run a can. Mine also got a SSA-E so it feels like my other rifles in that respect. Sorry for the review, but you asked! One last observation: the cool thing is that even all the usual shit hanging off of it (Except for a light), it's still light and compact, which makes it a blast to shoot!

Adrian has one too, maybe he'll pipe in with details on his old school BRN.
    Last edited by Joelski; 21 May 2022 at 15:27.
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    Can either of you explain a little bit why you would prefer one to the other? I am not at ALL married to anything so it would be cool to see what the pros have to say.

Why would you like the BRN-180? I've only passively heard of it but obviously no deep dives into either.
    I live right down the road from where PSA is made. Used to be a decent place IMO, great prices, hometown feel. Now it’s like the Walmart of guns and I wouldn’t trust my life to any of it. So many issues it’s not even funny.