Downloads
    Uploads

Steak cooking thread...

I take it everyone here is pretty much a carnivore. If you want to up your cooking game read on. I bought myself a Christmas present this year, a sous vide cooker. It's a little device about the same size as a hand blender but it has a heating element, a timer, and a little engine to circulate the water. The one I bought is in the link below.

https://anovaculinary.com/products/a...ion-cooker-pro

Anyway typically I like to cook (when I have time) but this thing is something else. I cooked my first steaks with the little machine tonight and daaamn it was PERFECT. If you are not a good cook, or you just like to eat good stuff definitely consider one of those little devices. By the time it was all said and done my steaks could have been on the cover of any food publication. And the thing is you can just put the steaks on and go mow the lawn. It is pretty much cheating, but I couldn't be happier with the results.

Basically you put your steaks/meat/whatever into a zip lock bag and get as much of the air out as possible. Then you have a container with some water in it and once it gets up to temperature you drop the bag in the water and go off to watch football or something. The cooker will maintain the water temp down to the tenth of a degree (or something like that). When the timer goes off it will shut off the heating element and you just take the steaks out and gently pat them dry with a paper towel. You can finish them on the stove (1 minute each side) to make a crust or you can put them on the grill to get the wood/charcoal flavor in there.

I have to look into it some more, but I think you can even use frozen steaks as well and get excellent results. Just season the steak before putting it up in the freezer and you don't even have to thaw it out. Just drop it in and go. It's about as difficult as using a toaster.

The real trick is knowing what temperatures are the best for whatever you are cooking. The same thing for the time you cook them for. They say steaks should not go beyond 4 hours but anywhere from one to two hours is fine. Up to four hours and no harm will be done. Other types of meat will probably be different.

The one thing that they do say can happen is if you buy really thin cuts of meat that they won't turn out as good. That's fine because I never get thin cuts anyway.

It really can't be any easier, but the results were stellar. If you are looking for a last minute gift for yourself or someone else this is HIGHLY recommended.

Sorry. No pictures. I ate the evidence.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Sous Vide is a pretty controversial cooking method. Many purists hate it.

Personally, I like my steak now just grilled on a large griddle.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    Sous Vide is a pretty controversial cooking method. Many purists hate it.

Personally, I like my steak now just grilled on a large griddle.
    I like tradition just as much as the next guy and in some situations its definitely the way to go. For example a lot of the time I can't stand it when people take too many liberties with Texas style BBQ. I've been to places (not in Texas) where I was like 'this is not Texas BBQ...you need to change the sign out front'. And when I eat Asian food I am very much a fan of traditional food too. A lot of the fusion crap that gets put out there a lot of the time sucks, but from time to time people hit a homerun by pushing the boundaries a little bit.

If you look at it though some of the best food on the planet is in some way or another a fusion of sorts. In Bali (Indonesia) back in the 50s and 60's it began to be a tourist spot. The resorts brought in a ton of European chefs to cook for visitors. What happened though is the local guys that were actually doing most of the work learned those European ways and applied it to their local food. Over time it developed and now, for five bucks you can eat some amazing stuff there. Same thing with Vietnam and the French. A whole lot of food there was born out of a situation that existed back in the day.

I get it, but am not opposed at all to people experimenting with new things. To me sous vide is another tool in the box. It really depends on the cut of meat and what the situation is. For a New York type steak, I have always been the same as you... grill it on a griddle or something like that. For a ribeye though, nothing beats cooking those outside.

I am definitely not going to sous vide everything and abandon all else... no way. I am not giving up my smoker nor my wood or charcoal anytime soon. They all have a place as far as I am concerned.

Also with sous vide you can cook all sorts of things not just steaks.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Follow up question for all you guys.

What is your top three favorite cuts of meat? Any bird or animal. I want more ideas for things to cook

I made a prime rib with my machine and it came out really good. I've also cooked some various pieces of lamb as well (not for Christmas), and of course a few different kinds of steak.

I want to try some duck but I need to figure out where to get it from.

Anyway please give me some good ideas of your favorites and if I am able to get it I might try it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Filet
    Porterhouse
    Sirloin/Strip

Not a fan of fatty cuts at all. Keep all that marbling nonsense. Ribeye is a gross cut, IMO. I know that's sacrilege but I like my meat done medium rare to medium and cool, fatty meat, no matter how good is just nauseating to me. That said, some game is on the lean side for even my taste. I like my venison and Elk around 80/20 with good pork sausage. The leaner cuts are roasts and stew more often than grilled.

Also, breed plays a role. Much is made over Kobe, and Wagyu is becoming more commonplace, but if you've never had it, find some, and also some Watusi beef. move over, Angus!
    Last edited by Joelski; 28 December 2022 at 18:53.
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Joelski View Post
    Filet
    Porterhouse
    Sirloin/Strip

Not a fan of fatty cuts at all. Keep all that marbling nonsense. Ribeye is a gross cut, IMO. I know that's sacrilege but I like my meat done medium rare to medium and cool, fatty meat, no matter how good is just nauseating to me. That said, some game is on the lean side for even my taste. I like my venison and Elk around 80/20 with good pork sausage. The leaner cuts are roasts and stew more often than grilled.

Also, breed plays a role. Much is made over Kobe, and Wagyu is becoming more commonplace, but if you've never had it, find some, and also some Watusi beef. move over, Angus!
    I am not a fan of Porterhouse (the US definition of that). Having two different muscles there trying to cook both right is difficult. Of course it can be done but it's not common. New York is one of my staple cuts. For a pan steak you can't get much better. I like sirloin too, if it is cooked correctly. Over done and it's not that good. That's one of the beautiful things about Sous Vide. I made probably the best sirloins I've eaten in a long time (if not ever) using that method and it was effortless.

I like filet but I haven't made one using this method yet. I will, but I just haven't. All these different cuts of beef require different styles of cooking though.

I really want to try some different kinds of meat. If I could find it I would like to try duck breast. I would also like to try deer as well, but given that I haven't shot one in a while it's hard to come by.

A few places have lamb near me. I like it. I got hooked on it when I lived in Australia. Kangaroo is pretty good as well. Lamb here though is quite expensive but I still buy it every now and then. When I was living in Africa I ate every kind of mammal possible. I seriously wish they would sell some of that meat over here. It's sooo good.

If I can find a source for various other meats (besides beef) I would definitely be interested. I just love the variety.

Korean food is near or at the very top of my most favorite foods ever. The variety is great. I even ate a plate of raw beef with egg yolk over there. It was good. The various types of beef/pork bbq is something I generally won't turn down, like ever. Where I am at now the closest 'good' Korean food is over an hour away, so it's not easily accessible.
    Last edited by alamo5000; 28 December 2022 at 20:52.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Beef carpaccio is pretty good. I had a gf that made me eat all kinds of raw shit. To the point that when it was my bday, she asked me what I wanted for dinner and I asked for something that was cooked. That was my first trip to Hyde Park. Best steak I've ever had, period. It was Steak Oscar, reverse seared and just beat anything else I've had.

Bison can be good, if excessively lean. Bear meat is the nastiest shit I've ever had. Elk can be delicious or awful, sometimes in the same cut of meat. I had an elk steak that you could eat half with a spoon, and the other side of the bone took a chisel and a chainsaw to cut apart. When it comes to cooking technique, black and blue style is okay once in a while, but I favor grill and smoke for most cuts. There isn't much that doesn't work well with low and slow or a violent reverse sear, followed by a short cook. Nothing gets overdone, but I don't like cold, bloody meat.