Downloads
    Uploads

RCBS Case slick spray evaporating

When reloading components starting getting scarce, I stocked up on the consumables like tumbling media, case lube, spare parts of various types..

One thing I bought was five extra bottles of RCBS case slick spray and put them in my reloading cabinet. I had a few already that I’d been going through relatively quickly, and until recently I used them fast enough not to notice but between buying a lot more than normal on top of what I already had and storing them, it was noticeable.

Back in September, I looked at the bottles and all were low, and one of them was almost halfway empty. I make sure when I buy them that they’re as close to full as possible so I was curious; I drew a line at the fluid level and dated it on the outside of the bottle. I checked last night and in two months, there’s been about 1/8” of evaporation.

The bottles are stored in a dark cabinet, no sunlight in the room, and it’s climate controlled. They aren’t leaking. How are they experiencing so much loss? Evaporation is all I can guess but they’re sealed and in a dark/cool location.

I made a little progress after talking to RCBS customer service via email. I’ll end up calling them Monday (closed today) because of the speed they reply through email makes asking follow up questions difficult

Each bottle has a date on it printed on a price tag-esque sticker and the bottles DO have a shelf life. Now I need them to confirm whether the date sticker is a production date (which is what I think) and how long past production is the shelf life? Because right now at this very moment Sportsmans warehouse in Columbia has 17 month old bottles for sale on the shelf, 07/19/21 date sticker

The labels don’t indicate a shelf life period, so I was a little taken aback when the CS rep told me that considering they make no mention of it anywhere

Honestly because of this I’ll probably buy a ton of pure lanolin and 99% ISO and make my own from now on

Downloads
    Uploads
    I started using brass wax and I haven't gone back since. In my opinion it's substantially better/less messy and the results have been excellent.

That said I still have a few bottles of various other stuff laying around somewhere.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    I started using brass wax and I haven't gone back since. In my opinion it's substantially better/less messy and the results have been excellent.

That said I still have a few bottles of various other stuff laying around somewhere.
    I like the case slick spray because it comes off relatively easy and applying a little goes a long way to a lot of brass in a gallon ziploc.

I just don’t like it disappearing from sealed bottles

Downloads
    Uploads
    I use Dillon Case Lube. Pump spray, alcohol carrier evaporates leaving the cases ready to resize. Does not evaporate in the bottles.
    NRA Benefactor Member
    NRA Certified Instructor

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on."
    John Wayne - "The Shootist"