Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

New Build...not a gun

So I built my own portable bluetooth speaker out of an Ammo Can. Its a 50 cal SAW box. It uses a Dayton 50w x 2 channel amp with bluetooth and aux in. Speakers are 4" JL Audio C1. Grills are custom made from computer cooling fan grills. I lined the front and back of the box with 3/4" plywood and then used car sound deadening material to coat the entire inside. Sounds awesome!

Downloads
    Uploads
    That's pretty slick. Perfect for the rest of the decor.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thank you

Downloads
    Uploads
    Nicely done !!
    NRA Benefactor Member
    NRA Certified Instructor

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on."
    John Wayne - "The Shootist"

Downloads
    Uploads
    Great idea, well executed. Bravo
    “ When I comes to modern politics, I think the inverse of Hanlon's Razor applies...In other words, "Never attribute to stupidity that which is adequately explained by malice." - Kerplode

Downloads
    Uploads
    Wife tells me I should build them and sell them on Etsy.

The truth I that you can buy a portable Bluetooth speaker much cheaper. It won't look as badass or sound as good...but all in this was over $200 to build. I could use more inexpensive components, but then you sacrifice sound quality. There are dudes selling similar things for like $400 so I guess there is a market. That is what inspired me to build my own. I knew I wanted one when I saw them but wasn't going to drop $400 on one.

I was thinking of trying out a mono setup for my next build. With the speakers being so close you really aren't experiencing the stereo separation anyway...but with a larger speaker, I could get better bass response.

I have to admit, though, that this sounds darn good for a pair of 4" coaxial speakers.

Anyway, thank you for the kind words. I am enjoying it.

There are a few things I would do different next time around. I wouldn't use that mounting plate on the back but drill my own holes for the leds and accessories. I definitely would put the volume knob and power switch on the front with the aux in and power on the side. I did it this way because the plate was an accessory with the Amp that simplified wiring. After building one now I know that the wiring was simple anyway...it's just a matter of drilling out uour own template for the switches and lights.

If any of you would like to build your own There is a kit on partsnexpress to make this project with a plastic ammo can. You can then add anything else you would need. I didn't use the speakers with the kit but it was just as cheap to buy the kit. If you use a metal can you will also need to get a Bluetooth antenna.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Wife tells me I should build them and sell them on Etsy.

The truth I that you can buy a portable Bluetooth speaker much cheaper. It won't look as badass or sound as good...but all in this was over $200 to build. I could use more inexpensive components, but then you sacrifice sound quality. There are dudes selling similar things for like $400 so I guess there is a market. That is what inspired me to build my own. I knew I wanted one when I saw them but wasn't going to drop $400 on one.

I was thinking of trying out a mono setup for my next build. With the speakers being so close you really aren't experiencing the stereo separation anyway...but with a larger speaker, I could get better bass response.

I have to admit, though, that this sounds darn good for a pair of 4" coaxial speakers.

Anyway, thank you for the kind words. I am enjoying it.

There are a few things I would do different next time around. I wouldn't use that mounting plate on the back but drill my own holes for the leds and accessories. I definitely would put the volume knob and power switch on the front with the aux in and power on the side. I did it this way because the plate was an accessory with the Amp that simplified wiring. After building one now I know that the wiring was simple anyway...it's just a matter of drilling out uour own template for the switches and lights.

If any of you would like to build your own There is a kit on partsnexpress to make this project with a plastic ammo can. You can then add anything else you would need. I didn't use the speakers with the kit but it was just as cheap to buy the kit. If you use a metal can you will also need to get a Bluetooth antenna.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Sweet speaker! That gives me an idea for a subwoofer for my recording system!
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Joelski View Post
    Sweet speaker! That gives me an idea for a subwoofer for my recording system!
    Cool man. Let me know if you need any help. I will try to point you in the right direction. FYI, a saw box lined with 3/4" plywood will be around 0.3 cubic ft. That may help with your sub choice.

Also Parts express has been awesome as I am planning another build already.

This time around I am going to do a mono setup with a 6.5" mid driver with a titanium dome tweeter crossed over at 3-4000 hz. The speakers are so close on the 4" speakers that you really can't tell the stereo separation anyway. I think having a single 6" driver will make bass response even better.

Don't get me wrong, those 4" JLs really do sing and sound really good. Using coaxials simplify the build though.

Downloads
    Uploads
    So I posted this build on facebook and a bunch of people are now contacting me wanting me to build one for them....so my wife might be right. I might do this as a side hustle.

If I would do this what should I call this? I was thinking "The !BOOM! Box" ???

Downloads
    Uploads
    I like can rather than box. No !!!’s military-like stenciling in flat or matte yellow.

Boom Can
    Can O’ Boom
    Canned Boom
    Surplus Boom
    Battle Boom
    Combat Boom
    Bravo Boom
    “ When I comes to modern politics, I think the inverse of Hanlon's Razor applies...In other words, "Never attribute to stupidity that which is adequately explained by malice." - Kerplode

Downloads
    Uploads
    Uffdaphil...I am really liking the Can O' Boom.

I think you have obtained the naming rights LOL

Downloads
    Uploads
    Surplus Boom has a nice ring as well.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks. That rig is inspiring. If you do go into production be sure to save one for me to purchase. I gave all my Bluetooth speakers to my nieces so need one they only get after I’m gone.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Sent you a message