Thread: "Vehicle Guns"

Downloads
    Uploads

"Vehicle Guns"

I searched and didn't find a specific thread on this. I am still wanting to build/buy a "truck gun" and I figured why not try to consolidate all that info into one thread for the good of the community? It can be a picture thread too so post em if you got em.

This however is not solely about the firearm itself nor is it exclusive to 'trucks'. Any kind of car or vehicle is ok but also this is about the various mounting options, racks, bags, locks, or whatever that make carrying a long(er) gun in a vehicle more feasible.

I think this is definitely a work in progress, but eventually I want to be able to lay out my options and choose something fitting.

Please post pictures, links, and also please do mention specific brands or products if you can.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I "backpack" a 8.5" 223 Wylde with a folding stock adapter. Get out, put it on. No worries about leaving a firearm in a vehicle. Full disclosure ... this is NOT an every day thing for me. Time of day, and destination dependent. And, I don't go "there" anymore, unless I have to. Cell phone photo.

Rainier UM barrel
    LMT MARS ambi lower
    CMC Flat trigger
    Aimpoint PRO and Aimpoint 3x (old eyes need the 3x)
    Troy Folding sights
    LAW Tactical folder
    AAC Suppressor would fit in one of the external pouches, but I don't carry it. Firearm will be confiscated, even if temporary. Ear Pro is in the bag, if I might have that much time.
    20 Round mag in the well, two thirties in the bag.

Name:  IMG_4457 Law Tactical Folded.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  1.49 MB
    NRA Benefactor Member
    NRA Certified Instructor

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on."
    John Wayne - "The Shootist"

Downloads
    Uploads
    Generally, I don't like to leave firearms in my vehicle unattended. But when I want a carbine in the truck the Peacekeeper Discreet is reasonably priced and fits well under the rear seat of an F-150. If I need to get to it quickly, I do have to exit the vehicle.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm fortunate to live in a state where there's nothing against having a rifle in the front or rear, concealed or not, locked and loaded. Only time I ever used that to my advantage was during the troubles. Luckily for us all no twatifa or black lies matter terrorists decided to try to make a hostage and illegally detain me on the roads so since I've gone back to just an EDC as I've normally would be doing anyway.

If doing long travels Savior Equipment makes some really nice options to choose from from discreet to tactical. Big plus is that it's all not made in China for those wanting to be conscious of where their dollars end up going to. Grey Ghost Gear is another good option to choose from if wanting tactical.

Anyway so far it's been just my SBR as I don't travel out of state really but that may change to a 16" recce once all the parts for it are finally on hand. Or I may go ahead and do a mini recce but with a P&W 14.5 or 13.9 to avoid asking for permission.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by BoilerUp View Post
    Generally, I don't like to leave firearms in my vehicle unattended.
    Same here but it depends on where and for how long and all that. All options are on the table for sure, including something to stuff in a backpack that could/would be taken in and out as desired.

That said I used to have a truck that I installed a little console vault in. For handguns or any other kind of valuables I wouldn't hesitate to leave stuff in there. The only way someone would get in is if they packed an angle grinder. It really depends on the method of storage and how much that would cost. At this point I am just window shopping.

Something like the gun in the video below looks kind of interesting. That said if I can get away with doing something else or using some other method I would entertain the idea for sure.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I want a CZ 600 trail (or a decent copy of what it’s supposed to be). A compact bolt .223 that takes normal mags. I always seem to go full on $$$ with an AR. A 1-4x and my Optimus Micro would be it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I gave this some actual thought earlier, and came up with a solution that would be better for me. A 300 BO pistol in 8 or 9 inches, would be using a Stag LH upper and BCG (I'm a southpaw, pistol gas sends brass to my face past the deflector on a RH), subsonic only, with a LT folder and a short featureless pistol buffer tube with a Phase 5 tube cover.

Short, foldable for transport in a discrete backpack, low round count SHTF only other than a zero because I don't want to invest or reload for 300 BO as it's a niche to me and this thread fits the bill for it's niche role, and not as traumatically loud as 5.56 with a can on it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Rifleman,
    thanks for sharing that lead on Savior. I wasn't familiar with them but like some of their products and the pricing is attractive.

I live in a state where you can't have a loaded rifle in the vehicle, but I don't like leaving weapons loaded off-body anyway (I have kids).

Regarding your 300 BO pistol, I personally only used Subs for plinking. I just don't trust the terminal ballistics of subtonics in that caliber. What round are you thinking you'd keep loaded up?

Back to OP, I do think defining "requirements" matter. When I was most concerned about having a carbine available reasonably quickly while on the road was during the time a few years ago when protestors were shutting down highways and/or "normal folks" were finding themselves suddenly in the midst of an angry mob. Most of the time when I have a carbine available, though, I'm simply going to the range and have quite a bit of gear in the truck, so I want one "handy" in case I need it, instead of living in a hard case in the truck bed.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRifleman View Post
    I gave this some actual thought earlier, and came up with a solution that would be better for me. A 300 BO pistol in 8 or 9 inches, would be using a Stag LH upper and BCG (I'm a southpaw, pistol gas sends brass to my face past the deflector on a RH), subsonic only, with a LT folder and a short featureless pistol buffer tube with a Phase 5 tube cover.

Short, foldable for transport in a discrete backpack, low round count SHTF only other than a zero because I don't want to invest or reload for 300 BO as it's a niche to me and this thread fits the bill for it's niche role, and not as traumatically loud as 5.56 with a can on it.
    I have a 9" SBR and even with subs that thing is brutal if shooting unsuppressed.

To me what caliber and all that is going to depend on how I ultimately approach this. If I can figure out some mounting system or if I ultimately go with a backpack type system is TBD.

Honestly I am not sure what approach is best. IE some kind of system where I can grab and go as a primary, especially as I am the only one driving my car, can potentially can get a little cumbersome. That said if something crazy happens it's not at all an issue to stage a rifle in a case by case situation.

The other idea is to have it more secure even if it means a minute or two to access it. I will still definitely have a pistol with me too. One thing I do want to do though is have it available from inside the car if at all possible. Lots to consider.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I didn’t realize the CZ trail .223 was $1100+. Not for that plastic thing…I’d pay $850 but not $1100

A Mini 14 with a Samson folder sounds fun
    Name:  IMG_0172.jpeg
Views: 148
Size:  23.2 KB

Downloads
    Uploads
    You haven't priced out a Mini lately, have you?

Downloads
    Uploads
    If it's the about using the cheapest but still reliable, I'd do a Palmetto AR15 M4, add an Aimpoint Pro for the classic look, and be done with it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRifleman View Post
    If it's the about using the cheapest but still reliable, I'd do a Palmetto AR15 M4, add an Aimpoint Pro for the classic look, and be done with it.
    Mmmm no thanks to PSA

And the AR doesn’t collapse and still function like the folding Mini or the CZ trail. Might have to look into a BRN180

Quote Originally Posted by BoilerUp View Post
    You haven't priced out a Mini lately, have you?
    Guess not. The one I had a few years ago was fairly inexpensive but the mags were $40-50ea

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Former11B View Post
    Might have to look into a BRN180
    Speaking of that... I was just looking at those (again) tonight. That might be a very viable option for what I am thinking. My daily driver is a Hyundai (42mpg). It's a 4 door and the back seats can lay down to give you access to the trunk from inside the car.

What I am thinking as one possibility is to hang a 'bag' (or more like a loose sleeve) at a 45 degree angle from the rear head rest and put the rifle inside of that. They when you lay down the back seat the rifle will basically present itself.

At least with that idea I would be able to get to the rifle from inside the car. Also I would not have a gun bag or a backpack laying on the seat. Plus it would not get in the way of passengers and if I needed to I could take it out of the car.