Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

?

Anyone know when they started putting the corrected barrels on?

Downloads
    Uploads

Mossberg's Customer Service Problems

It's been a while but I said I will keep everyone posted so here are my continued woes.

It has been since 10/11/2009 when I sent my barrel back to Mossberg for a replacement. Within that time, I made seven (7) phone calls to Mossberg to check on the replacement status. Each time, I was told, "Oh, yeah, the new barrel will be shipped out within a couple of days, or the next day." Each time, I waited. . .and waited. . .and waited. Nothing. Repeat. Seven times, I kid you not!

Just today (12/30/2009), I spoke to a supervisor named Alex. He apologized like all that came before and said that for my inconvenience, he will send me a zip case. Hey, I don't care about the zip case, I just want a new barrel to I can actually use my 930 SPX!

Duluthga, could you give me the name and address of the CEO? You certainly got a much better response from Mossberg than I did.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by ArizonaScot View Post
    It's been a while but I said I will keep everyone posted so here are my continued woes.

It has been since 10/11/2009 when I sent my barrel back to Mossberg for a replacement. Within that time, I made seven (7) phone calls to Mossberg to check on the replacement status. Each time, I was told, "Oh, yeah, the new barrel will be shipped out within a couple of days, or the next day." Each time, I waited. . .and waited. . .and waited. Nothing. Repeat. Seven times, I kid you not!

Just today (12/30/2009), I spoke to a supervisor named Alex. He apologized like all that came before and said that for my inconvenience, he will send me a zip case. Hey, I don't care about the zip case, I just want a new barrel to I can actually use my 930 SPX!

Duluthga, could you give me the name and addres
    Is of the CEO? You certainly got a much better response from Mossberg than I did.

I had been calling there for a week and being put off so I called and asked for the department supervisor. He called me back and is putting one in the mail for me today. His name is: Xavier Contreas. Call and ask for him. He is well aware of the problem we're all having with bad sights on barrels.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Whenever you deal with Mossberg CS, always ask to speak with a supervisor. Get them to send you the shipping label, and tell them you will be checking in periodically when they get your barrel. Again, speak to a supervisor. Always.
    Contreras seems to be a pretty good guy from what I've heard, and does seem to be actually pushing stuff through.
    Ask for tracking numbers on stuff that they send back to you.
    Be polite, be persistent, and always speak with a supervisor.
    As for the new sights, I was told last summer that all new production guns were going to have them. I don't know if they are currently producing them like this or not.
    It does seem that their customer service is still not being terribly helpful.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by duluthga View Post
    My 930 SPX was canted and I sent a nice Certified Letter to the CEO explaining the issue. A week later, there was a package on my doorstep...the new barrel!!!!!!
    Didn't have to pay a dime or send the bad barrel in. The new sight has a 1/8" riser nicely welded under the sight. This corrects the 'shooting too high, adjustment bottomed out' syndrome. I'm extremely happy with Mossy qc. This dad gum gun is righteous in that it goes bang with any load. And as far as rapid firing, all I can say is "brace yo seff!!!!!" it def rocks and rolls in rapid fire. The guys on the range come over "what the hell was that, a Saiga?" Ha Ha, now they all want one. Don't put up with the canted sight, Mossy will make it right for ya.
    I checked my new SPX and can see what appears to be a 1/8" shim neatly brazed in under the fron sight. Here is the text from a post I put on AR15.com:

"Hey, guys, my first post here on AR15.com, primarily because of this 2-year old thread which still seems to be pretty active and because I just bought a 930 SPX just before Thanksgiving from Fountain Firearms in Houston. Given all the current pricing I found, their $632 number and immediate availability seemed good enough for me. No objectionable problems yet, the front sight is just ever so slightly canted to the left but you really have to put the fine eyeball on it to notice. Got to the range last weekend and the first 2 Remington 2-3/4 1560 fps slugs were about 2" high and 5" right. After 25 rounds I had walked the group in to about 1/2" high and 1-1/2" right (at 25 yds) and had about all that butt-kicking fun I could stand by then. The last 3" fun rounds were hardly felt by my numb shoulder!

My first experience w/ ghost rings but finally decided I could live with them, they are just not target sights, I guess, and intended mainly for a rough, quick target acquire. Comments welcome here.

Got it home for a complete strip clean but being a "read the instructions after it's too late" kind of guy, I got in a little trouble when I un-screwed the Jeezus nut off that mo-fo spring that's inside the little tube under the middle of the barrel. Don't DO THAT! It ain't at all necessary and you'll find yourself scratching your watch and winding your head how to get it all back together again ––- and that's after you found the little bugger nut halfway across on the garage floor if you're lucky. I got lucky and found enough hardware to make a little spring compressor. Two oversize 3/8" washers right on the OD size of the tube and a bolt and nut just long enough to go through the whole rig-up. First, without the spring, play with the Jeezus nut thread engagement to determine the rotational point where the threads begin to engage and the nut is not rocking on the threads. Then install the spring and start to tighten the bolt with a wrench to collapse the spring down to where the threads engage. Keep a fine eyeball on the parallesim of the nut and tube surfaces, if they ar not spot-on you might cross-thread. Put your best pair of glasses on and watch the nut threads come into engagement. At that point, make a quick prayer to whatever god you revere and PAY ATTENTION! Slightly snug the bolt on the compressor rig-up and start turning the Jeezus nut with a strong pick or a nail inserted into the ends of the spanner slots that are left exposed under your rig-up washer. And keep praying not to cross thread the $700 gun you just bought. A little snug, a little turn, a little snug, a little turn, etc until you see it has engaged smoothly and pull your rig-up slack. If you are the least bit ham-fisted and mechanically dis-inclined, take it to a 'smith. Believe me, this is something you want to practice on somebody else's gun! I got lucky and got it back together successfully thanks to the gods of luck and the bright morning sun shining thru my garage window!

Whew! It's a great gun and I'm looking forward to more of this thread. BTW I first read all 20 pages and have found out much great info. Thanks, guys.

John"

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.htm...228303&page=20
    The Great Way Is Not Difficult For Those Who Have No Preferences

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by m24shooter View Post
    Whenever you deal with Mossberg CS, always ask to speak with a supervisor. Get them to send you the shipping label, and tell them you will be checking in periodically when they get your barrel. Again, speak to a supervisor. Always.
    Contreras seems to be a pretty good guy from what I've heard, and does seem to be actually pushing stuff through.
    Ask for tracking numbers on stuff that they send back to you.
    Be polite, be persistent, and always speak with a supervisor.
    As for the new sights, I was told last summer that all new production guns were going to have them. I don't know if they are currently producing them like this or not.
    It does seem that their customer service is still not being terribly helpful.
    I agree with m24shooter on all points. EXCEPT for some reason, my situation turned out differently. I got the return shipping label in two days when I first called about the problem. "This is great", I thought! I then checked on the status of the replacement barrel periodically, and each time I called, I was always nice and polite to the person handling my call -- after all, it is just another human on the other end trying to do his/her job. But instead of telling me, "Hey, we don't have a barrel for you so you will have to wait a little longer", they would tell me, "Your new barrel will be shipped out in a couple of days, or next day, and we'll e-mail you the tracking number", and then nothing! So after six times of that, I finally decided to escalate it to "Supervisor" level (which is something I should have done after the 3rd or 4th time). Supervisor Alex said the barrel will be sent out the next day and I will also get a free zip case for my trouble. Lo and behold -- it actually happened this time! I got my new replacement barrel and free zip case on Saturday, 01/02/2010 (it would have been Thursday but I wasn't home). The new barrel was shipped out by Javier Contreras.

Now the drum roll please. . . . . . . ..I put the new barrel back on and. . . . . ..it was still canted! Not as much as the original barrel but still canted. Now I know that it is probably so miniscule that most would find it acceptable. Heck, it probably won't affect my shooting accuracy any better or worse, especially for my intended use of this 930 SPX.

BUT, the point I'm trying to get at is -- at which quality level does a consumer say, "You know, it's close enough so I'm not going to worry about it and go through the trouble of getting it right. I'll just live with it" ???

I would like to get some feedback -- do I just accept the new barrel with a VERY slight cant, or go through another round with Mossberg?

I appreciate all the help.

In the meanwhile, I'll be looking to get rid of a brand new, unfired 930 SPX, keep my two Mossberg 590A1's, and getting an FN SLP in the near future to replace the 930 SPX.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yours has to be a very frustrating experience. When I checked mine out at the store, I thought the front sight was good. But on closer inspection at home, it was ever-so-SLIGHTLY canted left. I went on and shot it anyway, bringing the group is close enough to DC for me. I'll keep the gun and continue to be wary of any QC problems. It is a pretty sad situation that their QC dept is using eyeballs, and bad ones at that, for inspection devices.
    The Great Way Is Not Difficult For Those Who Have No Preferences

Downloads
    Uploads
    Sent a politically-correct Certified Letter to CEO Iver Mossberg today with all documentations. We'll see how far this gets me this time.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I bought an SPX on 1/5/10. I shouldered the gun at the store and the sights were fine. Decided to pick one up. They brought out a brand new box and like a fool I decided not to pick the gun up and look down the sights right there. Got home only to see the front sight was of course, canted to the left. Called Mossberg and talked to Javier Contreras. Told him what happened without going into too much detail and before I could finish my "story" he told me a new barrel would be mailed to me. Four days later, I had a new barrel with a now higher and straight front sight. So aside from the initial annoyance of having to wait for a new barrel, I had a good experience with Mossberg. Have yet to shoot the thing though.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The barrel sent to me by Xavier Contreres last week was over a quarter inch taller and didn't have a shim under it. It's the newest incarnation and looks just like the original one, only taller. When I sighted it in with slugs at 50 yards, the rear sight ended up a little above a third of the way off the bottom.
    Last edited by agksimon; 15 January 2010 at 15:06. Reason: Add Photo

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by agksimon View Post
    The barrel sent to me by Xavier Contreres last week was over a quarter inch taller and didn't have a shim under it. It's the newest incarnation and looks just like the original one, only taller. When I sighted it in with slugs at 50 yards, the rear sight ended up a little above a third of the way off the bottom.
    FINALLY, I received my new barrel on Thursday (01/14/2010) after talking to Javier Contreras on Tuesday. He assured me that he will personally inspect the barrel prior to shipping it out. The new barrel is perfect. Plus, I have a spare barrel to boot! :)

Anyway, three months after I bought my 930, Mossberg finally came through and corrected the issue with the canted front sight.

If you purchase a new 930 SPX, you should not have the canted front sight issue. But if for some reason you do, pick up the phone, and whoever answers it, ask to speak to Javier. He will get you taken care of.

Downloads
    Uploads

Xavier Contreres rocks - so far

I contacted Mr. Contreres at Mossberg's Texas facility today about my canted and short front sight tower on my brand-spanking new Mossberg 930 SPX that I picked up fresh last Friday. He was very nice and he told me that I would be receiving a replacement barrel in the mail in the next couple of business days. He was also very interested in how I came to contact him directly. I explained that there are several web sites now throwing his name around. He was very nice but a bit perplexed about several folks contacting him recently about this issue. I guess he is a victim of his own professionalism, courtesy and customer service. Hats off to him. Too bad about the QC issues but so far Mossberg has still got my vote as a high quality American firearms manufacturer. I'll let you folks know how this turns out when I receive the replacement barrel.
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer and Instructor

Downloads
    Uploads
    I came across this thread when searching on Mossberg 930 SPXs. I just picked one up at a dealer two days ago, and had a couple of questions about the finer points of fit-and-finish. Thankfully, my barrel sight was true, and had no canting issues. The rear sight was completely loose, though. Mossberg CS said just to move it back to be flush with the back of the rail and tighten it.

The main question I had is regarding the trigger housing assembly. Mine is not snug, and I can rattle it a little in the receiver. The CS guy said this was normal. It's been a while since I first looked at an SPX at another retailer, but I don't recall this being an issue on that gun. It just feels a bit cheap. Oh, and the forearm has a wee bit of play in it as well, and isn't completely stationary. It twists back and forth just a little. It won't affect the functioning of the gun, but... I paid $600+ for this, and I never ran into fit-and-finish stuff like this on a Remington.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The foreend can be snugged down if you tighten the mag tube extension. If you use a sling plate, it helps it even more.
    The trigger group can be loose on some of the guns. Won't affect anything, and if you're really worried about it you can do the sidesaddle mod I described and you won't have any issues.

Downloads
    Uploads

which mod?

Which mod are you referring to? Do you have a link?