Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    riverider4741 Guest

Angry Parts questions

I did a little question asking from a few vendors selling AR parts example bolts&carriers I asked about types of materials the heat treating treatments and shoot peening. Types of inspection and proof firing done.

I also asked why the bolts&carriers were not marked with the Mfg. names.

I got very few real good solid answers, it seems it's just a deep dark seceret about such matters.

Many just replied we buy or Mfg. to Mil Spec.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Quib View Post
    I tried to explain that in a thread on home defense rifles over at ARFCOM. I was told I was shortchanging myself because I didn’t have an Aimpoint on my HD carbine.

I tried to explain that my HD carbine was built on simplicity and reliability and that I personally was more comfortable with a weapon utilizing iron sights verses a rifle with red dot optics.

When things really do go “bump in the night” at 0’dark 30 and I’m awoke from a sound sleep, I want as simple of a weapon as possible. Irons and a good light is all I need.
    You sound like markm

Downloads
    Uploads
    Very nice rifle USMC!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    You sound like markm
    A well rounded shooter can shoot both irons and things like Aimpoints (my favorite) or EOTech (my fastest)..........it's like kind of like walking vs. running.........it really shouldn't take conscious thought. If it does then you need a lot more training/trigger time IMHO.
    VA Arms Co FFL/SOT armorer
    certified HK-sidearms/S&W M&P/BUSHMASTER/GLOCK/SIG-Sauer LE/FNH-SCAR armorer
    competitive shooter sponsored by VA ArmsCo, W.A.R. rifles, BravoCoUSA, BCM, Bobro Engineering, Magpul, Magpul Dynamics, Hatfields Gunsmithing and Greeley Custom

Lumpy196 Guest
    Having owned and operated the AR15 platform in one shape or size since 1988, I can honestly say the addition of a Wolff extractor spring, no matter the buffer insert color has made my guns 100% reliable in all conditions.

I believe in overkill though when it comes to reliability. Crane O-rings didnt cost me much, and they didnt make my guns STOP being reliable, so all my ARs now have them in addition to HD extractor springs.

If you can get your gun very dirty, and very hot and it keeps running, dont sweat it I guess.

In the end though, you lose nothing with a couple bucks invested in violent extraction capability.

clasky Guest
    Personally, I think that reliability upgrades don't hurt. I have crane o-rings on all my extractor springs. However, I just made the biggest reliability upgrade by purchasing a gas piston upper. LWRC SRT.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Great picture and rifle clasky.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Rice View Post
    If manufacturers would just build and spec their rifles with proper parts, this would be a non-issue. Fortunately, a good spring and an o-ring are cheap insurance for the CAR-length guns.
    I believe that most manufacturers put in the least expensive parts (and accessories) that will do the job. Most AR owners will never use their weapon for anything other than plinking, so they get by. For for people like those of you here, you find the weaknesses in your weapon(s) pretty quickly and remedy them.
    The use of the bare minimum quality parts in stock AR's is actually good for the AR-based industry because companies like the sponsors here can sell upgrades. The people who do upgrades usually come back to those companies for accessories to personalize their AR's.

OT: For those of you who might have to use your weapons in low-light conditions (50% of the day), kudos for getting white lights. However, if you've ever trained at night, you'd quickly find out that the red dot optic is more valuable for making good hits than a light.
    Nice rifle, USMC. ;-)
    I agree that while both are good, being able to hit with eyes that are adjusted to darkness would be best for a combat situation. But, I think for police, SWAT teams and civilians in some states use of the white light would be the best way to go just to be able to justify to the authories, higher-higher or grand jury why they shot.

TS

I apologize if I went too far off topic.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I too am embarking on a reliability upgrade process. Unfortunately (from what I now know), I am starting with a marginal piece - a BM "M4gery" that is about 3 years old. I bought the lower locally and the A2 upper direct from BM. No problems thus far on a strict diet of XM193, but then again I do not have many rounds throught it either.

One the plus side, the lower has a decent trigger, the rifle is more than adequate accuracy wise (just over 1 MOA with XM193 using an ACOG), the upper was assembled straight (little adjustment needed to zero-in irons) and the finish of both the upper and lower are well done and match perfectly.

Based on this, I think it's worth putting some $$ into. I plan on purchasing a BCM Bolt Carrier Group as I understand that the BM BCG is not up to par. I will have to live with the non M4 feedramps for now, though that may not be too much of an issue as I stick with 55 grain FMJ ammo anyway. I am still debating which stock to go with (currently have a fixed stock), but will problably go with a CTR "kit" that includes the mil-spec tube, spring and buffer, and do a proper staking. I am also replacing the "Izzy brake" with the FSC556 unit. The upper already has a tritium front post.

I hoping that these changes will get my "KISS carbine" into at least the 90% plus ready-to-go category. If you have any other suggestions, please let me know!

My other rifle is a Krebs Custom AK-103k. While not quite as accurate as the AR, it's reliability is without question. It is currently my "go to" rifle;

Downloads
    Uploads
    What's the deal? Only professional photographers allowed here or something? Those are some amazing pictures by everybody.

BTW, Cannonshooter - How do you like your Sully Stock. I was thinking about adding them to our lineup.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by John Hwang View Post
    BTW, Cannonshooter - How do you like your Sully Stock. I was thinking about adding them to our lineup.
    For those in AWB states like me, I think they are a good option - solid and comfortable to use, especially if you are looking to keep a rifle as compact as possible. My main gripe with the Sully is weight - the stock alone without receiver extension/spring/buffer weighs 18 ounces.

I am starting a new job in a few weeks in northern MA and I will be renting an apartment in NH. I am picking up a small safe to bolt into a closet and taking my BM M4gery with me. Once I'm there, the de-Klintonizing will begin and I am planning on getting the CTR stock kit with milspec tube to replace the Sully. I guess I should order some PMags too!

PS - I agree on the photos!

Downloads
    Uploads
    did I mention that I love this damn gun?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by USMC View Post
    Alright, This is my go to gun in the pic. The gun is an LMT with no mods done to the inside. I've added a CTR stock, LMT rear BUIS, EOTECH 551, DD 7.0 lite rail, Tango down VFG, MIAD grip, surefire 6P with Tacstar barrel mount and pressure switch, A DD rail sling mount and a Viking tactics sling. I didn't add any of these parts for the cool factor. I simply wanted to build the most reliable AR I could within my budget.

I've shot about 5000 trouble free rounds through it and I am real comfortable with this setup but I'd like to hear what items on my gun you guys would remove or change and what you would add if anything. Would my setup be considered overkill? I'm always willing to try something new. Thanks

"Fear knocked on the door. Faith answered. There was no one there."
    -Christopher Moltisanti. The Sopranos.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Along the lines of what TS was saying... I think that a lot of manufacturers are using cheaper parts these days in order to lower the cost of their rifles so that they can increase sales. The AR user base is growing rapidly, and frankly is pretty cheap. I see thread after thread on forums across the web about how stuff is too expensive... and at the same time many complaints about parts failures (a lot of which is cheap ammo related) because they cheaped out and bought the lowest common denominator instead of the better quality parts that would've lasted many years.

There are some really great values out there, but for some things only the best parts will do... and they are going to cost a little more.

But I guess if all you're doing is posting pretty pictures on forums and not shooting much, who cares right? (BTW, I'm thinking of something else.. not you guys.)

TalonArms_R Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by riverider4741 View Post
    I did a little question asking from a few vendors selling AR parts example bolts&carriers I asked about types of materials the heat treating treatments and shoot peening. Types of inspection and proof firing done.

I also asked why the bolts&carriers were not marked with the Mfg. names.

I got very few real good solid answers, it seems it's just a deep dark seceret about such matters.

Many just replied we buy or Mfg. to Mil Spec.

riverrider,
    the reason you got the answers you did is that most commercial BCG are coming from the same place. (CMT) They have started marking bolts this year, but not carriers.

The other thing you have to remember is that firearm companies are not building rifles for us, they are building them for the thousands of guys who are going to put 500 rounds through a rifle in a lifetime, not a day.

If you care about MP, proof, or inspection marks, don't even bother calling any mainstream commercial manufacturer.

And if you are not shooting over 5,000 rounds a year, you are worried over nothing anyway.

TalonArms_R Guest
    USMC,

Great looking rifle. Along with the zip ties, add a piece of bicycle tire inner tube to your grip to cover up your remote switch. Those things tend to pop out at the worst times.