Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
While I have never seen a Young key fail, I also see almost no Young carriers in guns to begin with, so statistically it's irrelevent.

What I HAVE seen is locktited carrier key screws loose enough to allow gas-leakage and/or shear off. I have also seen castle nuts back off of guns with blue locktite underneath them.

There is nothing wrong with doing something a different way if that different way is better, but most people seem to prefer different for the sake of different, or different out of obstinance whereby they stick to doing something wrong because to change would admit that they were doing it wrong.

The idea of red loctite on the carrier key screws is very odd. That carrier is known to get a little warm, and heat breaks down red loctite.... Strikes me that rockset or the Young method would be better.

Or you could just, you know, stake them like they should be to begin with.
I was actually going to get one of the Michiguns Staking tools, but since the LMT Piston system doesn't have the gas key, it is not really necessary.
If someone used blue loctite on the castle nut and it came loose, they did something wrong. I placed several drops on one and I had to cut that some-bitch off. Now, I just place one or two drops and it will hold. If I had the right equipment I would stake it just for the added security, but I don't have a vice, so I went with the blue loctite method.