Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ask A Cop Q&A

Downloads
    Uploads

Ask A Cop Q&A

Many of us on WEVO are Current or Prior Law Enforcement and in an attempt to further your knowledge, we welcome your questions as it pertains to the Law Enforcement profession.

Just a few ground rules:

- Don't ask Agency Specific Questions. We cannot obviously know everything about every agency, so try to keep your questions general.

- Don't make this your soapbox to complain about the services you received from a specific LEO. If you want to know why something happened a specific way, feel free to ask.

- We do not know every law from every single jurisdiction in the country, though we may be able to answer some.

- Do not ask questions that would jeopardize Operational Security (OPSEC). We will not answer your question.

Thanks and ask away.
    SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM
    Email ||| Webpage ||| Facebook ||| Flickr ||| YouTube Channel ||| Twitter ||| Instagram

Downloads
    Uploads
    If carrying concealed legally and for some reason I got into a fist fight defending myself and the authorities got involved, would I be looking at any kind of legal trouble?

I've always been curious if this situation came up as I've always been taught to avoid any and all conflict when carrying.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisstophere View Post
    If carrying concealed legally and for some reason I got into a fist fight defending myself and the authorities got involved, would I be looking at any kind of legal trouble?

I've always been curious if this situation came up as I've always been taught to avoid any and all conflict when carrying.
    As mentioned before, I can't answer how every jurisdiction would handle it, however, if you were in a self defense situation and used physical weapons (hands, feet, etc) to defend yourself while armed, I don't see it as being an issue. Actually if I were to come across someone who was involved in a fight and who advised me that he was armed, after temporarily securing the firearm and figuring all sides of the story out, I would be more apt to believe that the person carrying who did not use their firearm when not needed, was probably of sound mind and judgement. A firearm is great to have when you need it, but not to use when it is not reasonable and necessary.

***Just a caveat... Cops appreciate it when you let them know that you are armed, if the situation dictates. Just don't make any furtive movements towards the firearm or not comply to their directions after you advise them. If they are coming up to just say Hi, it's not necessary, but if you are involved in an incident where you would be a victim or suspect or have any chance of being detained in handcuffs, it's best to let the officer know. I have "secured" many firearms during my tour of duty and returned them after the contact was done. Don't freak out if the officer removes the magazine from the handgun and the ammo from the magazine. I typically place the handgun in one bag and the loose ammo and magazine in another. This is not because I am paranoid, but just taking precautions if I do not know who the person is and do not have a reason to take the firearm for safekeeping.
    Email ||| Webpage ||| Facebook ||| Flickr ||| YouTube Channel ||| Twitter ||| Instagram

Downloads
    Uploads
    This was great info, thanks.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've got a gear question. Probably not the direct intent of the thread, however, I much prefer the opinion on this site.

I'm trying to find a basketweave 6280 for duty use to fit a G22 with a mounted X300 Ultra. Has anyone found one or found something that works?

My current 6280 is a touch to short.
    "The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it." - - Albert Einstein

Downloads
    Uploads
    My current 6280 is a touch to short.
    In what way?

Downloads
    Uploads
    The bezel of the Ultra hits the bottom of the holster, pushing the entire gun to high to allow the hammer strap to seat across the rear of the weapon.

I have been running the standard X300 in the 6280 for the M3/TLR and x300.
    "The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it." - - Albert Einstein

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ATA View Post
    The bezel of the Ultra hits the bottom of the holster, pushing the entire gun to high to allow the hammer strap to seat across the rear of the weapon.

I'm running an X300 Ultra on an ALS 6360 without issues. Similar holster, but better retention... also available in basketweave... but the 80's called though. They want their basketweave back.

http://www.safariland.com/DutyGear/p....aspx?pid=6360

Downloads
    Uploads

You've got to take the disk out at the bottom of the holster, then it will fit with the Ultra mounted.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Here's something I've always wondered...

You pull me over for a traffic stop (say my tail light is out). Would you rather have me:

A) Get out my wallet & fish my registration and whatnot out of the glovebox before you approach the vehicle and have them along with my hands where they are clearly visible by the time you get to me...
    -or-
    B) Wait until you are up to the vehicle and ask for said items before reaching into pocket/glovebox for them.

Does that answer change at all if your computer tells me (from running my plate) that I am a CCW holder?

Thanks!

Downloads
    Uploads
    If you are organized and can grab everything before the officer gets to you, go for it. It shows me that you are prepared and compliant. Trust me, I would rather you have it in your hands when I get up to your window instead of you digging in god knows where to find your paperwork. The guy with the steering wheel death grip and the 1000 yard stare straight ahead is the one I'm really concerned about what he is contemplating.

As for the CCW permit info popping up, it doesn't pop up in WA state, so I can't answer that overall. Hope that helps.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk 2

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    I'm running an X300 Ultra on an ALS 6360 without issues. Similar holster, but better retention... also available in basketweave... but the 80's called though. They want their basketweave back.

http://www.safariland.com/DutyGear/p....aspx?pid=6360
    Basketweave is the hotness brother.

I'd be happy with the ALS upgrade. I actually had to fight the powers that be to even get the OK on the SLS.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by TripleBravo View Post
    You've got to take the disk out at the bottom of the holster, then it will fit with the Ultra mounted.
    Whats the exposure/damage risk to the lens with the disk removed?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Basketweave is the hotness brother.

I'd be happy with the ALS upgrade. I actually had to fight the powers that be to even get the OK on the SLS.

Old school sexiness!

Don't worry, I think a few of us here are familiar with departments run by imbeciles, ingrates, and unfortunates.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by zero7one View Post
    If you are organized and can grab everything before the officer gets to you, go for it. It shows me that you are prepared and compliant. Trust me, I would rather you have it in your hands when I get up to your window instead of you digging in god knows where to find your paperwork. The guy with the steering wheel death grip and the 1000 yard stare straight ahead is the one I'm really concerned about what he is contemplating.

As for the CCW permit info popping up, it doesn't pop up in WA state, so I can't answer that overall. Hope that helps.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk 2
    'preciate it! Kind of what I suspected, but wasn't quite sure. (coincidentally, I'm in Washington state -- I assumed that it popped up on the computer because once I was pulled over and the cop said something about 'I see you have a carry permit' -- but he must have actually recognized it in my wallet).