Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    You know, I'm no watch expert, but I didn't know there were so many die hard loyalists. I guess that's the way with any item out there I suppose.
    there are people out there that love rolex because when people see them on your wrist, they assume you have money.

there are people out there that hate rolex because when people see them on your wrist, they assume you have money.

there are people like me that don't care about either and just love the watched :).

the problem is, you can argue who makes the best AR but at least it's pretty easy to see why a BCM rifle is better than a del ton. the problem with watches is a g-shock is probably better than any mechanical watch out there based on ruggedness and accuracy.

back to watches though. if i hit the lotto, the first Patek 5070 i can find is mine.

currently i have one marathon SAR and about 5 different color NATO 20mm bands

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    Well... that seems helpful.
    It is, since its my opinion

It has become the epitome of the "have" watch. Everyone and their mother has one and people refer to the brand as though its some socially acceptable way of moving up a class.

The watch brand itself is nothing super new, they havnt changed their image in a while and their new models leave a lot to be desired. Compare their new offerings to brands like Panerai, Tag or even less known brands like lumtec, tissot and the like.

I am not talking about the vintage models, they are classics, I am specifically referring to where the brand is today and how its gotten there within the laat ten or so years.

Hell, Omega remade themselves (partially) and have a pretty good image now a days.

Everytime I see a rolex on someones wrist, especially a gawdy solid gold one or some such I cannot help to think that person either knows nothing about watches or just wanted a fool proof way of expressing their self-imagined class status.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    It is, since its my opinion

It has become the epitome of the "have" watch. Everyone and their mother has one and people refer to the brand as though its some socially acceptable way of moving up a class.

The watch brand itself is nothing super new, they havnt changed their image in a while and their new models leave a lot to be desired. Compare their new offerings to brands like Panerai, Tag or even less known brands like lumtec, tissot and the like.

I am not talking about the vintage models, they are classics, I am specifically referring to where the brand is today and how its gotten there within the laat ten or so years.

Hell, Omega remade themselves (partially) and have a pretty good image now a days.

Everytime I see a rolex on someones wrist, especially a gawdy solid gold one or some such I cannot help to think that person either knows nothing about watches or just wanted a fool proof way of expressing their self-imagined class status.
    For me, when I see someone sporting a Rolex, I immediately think "fake" first. I honestly couldn't tell you what kind of watch anyone was wearing without closely looking at it. I do see what you mean about everyone and their mom has one. Either they blew all their money on the only valuable item they could afford, or they're wearing fakes, which generally cheapens the brand overall.

However, my old man is wearing a Rolex from the early 70's. This watch belonged to my grandfather on my mother's side. When he died, my grandmother gave the watch to my dad, instead of her only son, as he was barely a pre-teen when it happened. Now that my old man is hitting 70, and my mother wants her dad's Rolex to go to my Uncle, I thought it was a good time to make it all happen in a domino effect.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I think my next watch will be a Maratac mid Pilots watch. I am not a huge watch guy. I go for reliable accurate and durable. Bang for the buck I think they are hard to beat I prefer a dial watch. I think this would fit the bill pretty well plus watch bands can change the look for different uses from work to going out. The Large is just too much.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Want to find out how jealous people are of you, wear a 10k watch to a family event one time....Listening to a 2nd cousin tell your wife how you flaunt your success due to a watch your wearing is pretty funny. (A wedding gift from my wife, no less) Seeing his 3rd wife try to crawl under the table when I tell him I would be much more embarrassed if my career choice was reproduction for welfare benefits and false disability claims, now that is PRICELESS.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I thought I would revive this a bit.

I never got my Omega Seamaster, as I put that purchase on hold. My old man is turning 70 next year, so to celebrate that mile stone, I've been saving up this last year a little by little, and have most of next year save as well. I plan to get him a watch for his 70th. He's getting a Rolex, so for you Rolex and/or high watch collectors, where do you ultimately go to buy?

I'm thinking either a Submariner, or GMT II

Thanks for the leads. You guys have some great taste in watches.
    Meh. I don't buy things to look good (or otherwise) to other people.

Personally, I've been a fan of the GMT II. I love the Pepsi-Cola version, but the black and red one is nice too. I even had a student who had one and I busted his chops for paying for it, but at the end of the day, it was a really nice watch and held up just fine in our dynamic environment. Personally, I can't justify the price to get one for myself. but I sure would enjoy it if I had it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by SINNER View Post
    Want to find out how jealous people are of you, wear a 10k watch to a family event one time....Listening to a 2nd cousin tell your wife how you flaunt your success due to a watch your wearing is pretty funny. (A wedding gift from my wife, no less) Seeing his 3rd wife try to crawl under the table when I tell him I would be much more embarrassed if my career choice was reproduction for welfare benefits and false disability claims, now that is PRICELESS.
    How dare you be successful?

I have more than a few watches and have owned dozens over the years, ive had coworkers ask me how I can afford such watches. I guess being good with money is too far of a stretch

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by gatordev View Post
    Meh. I don't buy things to look good (or otherwise) to other people.

Personally, I've been a fan of the GMT II. I love the Pepsi-Cola version, but the black and red one is nice too. I even had a student who had one and I busted his chops for paying for it, but at the end of the day, it was a really nice watch and held up just fine in our dynamic environment. Personally, I can't justify the price to get one for myself. but I sure would enjoy it if I had it.
    I love the new black/blue GMT

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    How dare you be successful?

I have more than a few watches and have owned dozens over the years, ive had coworkers ask me how I can afford such watches. I guess being good with money is too far of a stretch
    When people at work ask me the same thing, I usually reply with something like... look at my driveway, I don't have a boat, or a motorcycle, or most importantly, several ex-wives.

Downloads
    Uploads
    When people at work ask me the same thing, I usually reply with something like... look at my driveway, I don't have a boat, or a motorcycle, or most importantly, several ex-wives.

Haha the ex-wives gets them every time. It baffles people when I say "I saved up for it" after they ask me where I got the money for something. I guess I am not part of the instant gratification generation.
    Last edited by Computalotapus; 26 December 2014 at 16:25. Reason: to fix spelling errors so I don't get call toolbox JR
    Just a regular guy.

Downloads
    Uploads

Downloads
    Uploads
    Might I suggest something from Smith&Bradley. I'm digging their lineup right now. I usually wear a citizen eco drive that was a gift from my wife, makes for a real nice daily wear watch. This year I might pick up an Orange Monster and make it my daily wear, and move the eco drive into the safe with the things I don't want to break.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Been thinking about trying a Meister or TSOVET watch out. Nothing super expensive but they look like some nice classic watches.
    Just a regular guy.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I really like this TSOVET. Not familiar with the brand but it is a slick looking watch.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The Tsovets are very nice looking watches....I got a limited edition Seiko 5 over the holidays...nice little watch.