Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Nickel Boron Upper/Lower Project

I'm a big fan of Nickel Boron Coating as I shoot a lot of rounds suppressed. Personally, I find that I seem to be using a lot less lube when using Nickel Boron Carriers. However, I wanted to figure out if I could quantify "better." Am I really get more rounds down the pipe before lubing vs. a solid phosphate coated carrier? Is the premium I pay for the coating worth it?

I decided to take this one step further. How about a fully Nickel Boron Coated upper and lower with the coated BCG? Recently, I obtained an unanodized upper and lower receiver from Aero Precision. Perfect, I thought, for this project as I will be sending the receivers off for Nickel Boron Coating. The receivers will be coated by WMD Guns. I have previously used WMD on a Heckler and Koch USP Compact .45. The finish was wearing off the slide, but I wanted something different at the time, such as Nickel Boron. WMD Guns did a fantastic job, and the finish still looks great. Their prices are also reasonable, but take 4 weeks for turnaround time.

WMD Guns charges $75 for each the upper and lower receiver. They also charge $15 for return shipping. After a LE/MIL discount of 10%, my cost is $150.

I plan to build this upper as a suppressor host for testing. The final specs of the gun are not finalized, but suggestions are welcome. I live in a semi-free state, so yes suppressors are allowed, but SBR's are not, thus I will only consider 14.5 and 16" barrels for this. I have several options for suppressors as I can use Surefire or AAC models from my collection.

Parts List:

Rainier Arms Nickel Boron Thunder Bolt Carrier
    Rainier Arms Raptor
    ALG Defense ACT Trigger (To keep with the Nickel Boron Theme)

I will probably use my typical set up using a Magpul CTR, MBUS, MOE+

Barrel, Handguards, suppressor mount to be determined.

Once the build is complete, my goal and purpose will be to shoot as many rounds possible suppressed and possibly unsuppressed without lube or cleaning before the gun will no longer run. Malfunctions, round counts, will all be documented and we will take plenty of pictures.

Will update this post once my receiver set comes back from coating. Suggestions always welcome.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Unanodized Aero Precision Upper and Lower:

Downloads
    Uploads
    Finally got the coated upper and lower back from WMD. Apparently, they are backed up and the 4 week turnaround time has turned into 8-10 weeks. Pictures to come. We also got some individual parts coated for another project. Here's a sneak preview of what they did to the Raptor I sent in as well.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I thought i had seen a pic of the coated upper and lower on FB earlier , but cant find it now..

Cool project..

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by mustangfreek View Post
    I thought i had seen a pic of the coated upper and lower on FB earlier , but cant find it now..

Cool project..
    I'm finding taking photos of Nickel Boron coated anything is a pain. I'll have to get Stickman to do it this weekend and post progress pictures. I think this maybe a fun project as not cleaning or lubing a gun appeals to my lazy side.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    I'm finding taking photos of Nickel Boron coated anything is a pain. I'll have to get Stickman to do it this weekend and post progress pictures. I think this maybe a fun project as not cleaning or lubing a gun appeals to my lazy side.
    I'll be interested in your results. I find even with NB, shooting suppressed gums up the works anyhow. Really helps with cleanup, but eventually things get sticky enough to start malfunctioning.

Downloads
    Uploads
    A quick shot of the coated lower. I finally got the lighting somewhat to my satisfaction. Once I figure out what barrel and handguard/rails I want to use, I'll get his gun put together.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Here is where we are now:

I will probably change out the Raptor for a Fortis Hammer as it will be coated in Nickelene (which is similar to Nickel Boron but allegedly slicker) I haven't decided on a barrel. I will likely go with a standard 16" BCM mid-length, but I may go with the new Rainier Arms Mountain Series, which are CL CHF barrels. This depends on cost. I'm up for suggestions on the Rail/handguards.

After installing some Tactical Link accessories:

Downloads
    Uploads
    Which coated trigger are you using? As far as rails, I'd say Geissele MK4, as that's my current favorite rail. That or centurion CMR.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Calengor View Post
    Which coated trigger are you using? As far as rails, I'd say Geissele MK4, as that's my current favorite rail. That or centurion CMR.
    Calengor, I'm using the ALG ACT.

I just used my CMR and MK4 on another build, but I could pull them off the other builds.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Sorry, I missed it in the first post somehow.

Will you be coating the handguard? If you're going to use a new handguard, keeping the "slick" look, maybe an NSR.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Went with the Nickelene coated Fortis Hammer. Got the 16" Rainier Arms CHF Mountain Series barrel.

Handguards and we're done.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The Rainier Mountain Barrel is off to be pinned with a Fortis Lo-Pro gas block, should have it back after Thanksgiving. As for handguards we are going with the 14" Fortis REV Rail in FDE to match the rest of the theme. I should have it done next week once everything is back together and I can start shooting it before the end of the year.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Me Likey...

That charging handle is growing on me the more i see it..

Downloads
    Uploads
    Barrel is pinned...

Just have to put it together later. I'm going to go with a Surefire MB556K for a muzzle brake as I just received the phone call that the tax stamp for my Surefire 212 Can has been approved. I ordered a set of MBUS backup sights but haven't decided on what kind of optic to throw on this gun during the testing. We are almost there.