Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    Couldn't help but try out another vendor for a NiB coated receiver. Just on aesthetics, the WMD job is much better than what I received locally. I haven't had a chance to completely build up the sister rifle to the NiB Project gun, so I'm not sure their NiB coating isn't as good or better. It appears that WMD Guns has a much nicer finish and is a little more polished looking.

That looks pretty.

I noticed that you had NiB applied to the end plate and castle nut on this one. Was that done just for looks or some other reason?
    Last edited by 556Cliff; 15 March 2014 at 14:10.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by 556Cliff View Post
    That looks pretty.

I noticed the you had NiB applied to the end plate and castle nut on this one. Was that done just for looks or some other reason?
    Cliff,

The real story on this one was... it was already coated by someone else. They didn't want to deal with the project anymore, so I purchased what they had done. So the End plate/castle nut combination wasn't something I probably would have done, as well as the receiver extension.

Honestly, this NiB finish is nowhere near as good as the WMD Guns finish. I'll have to finish building it up and shoot it to see if it even comes close to being as easy to clean and shoot as the WMD however.

Downloads
    Uploads
    This is off topic but how come my last post disappeared when I edited it?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by 556Cliff View Post
    This is off topic but how come my last post disappeared when I edited it?
    It never disappeared, since you linked a photo, it had to be manually approved. So I did, and it's still there.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    It never disappeared, since you linked a photo, it had to be manually approved. So I did, and it's still there.
    I see, I guess I'm just to used to how the other sites work.

Thanks for the info.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I was going to "rip-off" your idea about a NiB upper/lower, but with a twist. I would then send them off to be cerakoted and hydro dipped. But the logistics threw such a wrench into the project that I just said the heck with it. WMD, per phone now has about a 10 week turnaround, then the coater told me that because I only wanted to leave the insides NiB plated, that it would add even more time to their normal waiting period, for them to strip the plating off of the outside of the upper/lower, so they could get a cerakote base on the outside, then dip it. Now they aren't even taking on work, due to overload, and another trusted hydro-dip company wasn't sure how long such a project would take. I guess most of these folks aren't set-up to remove the plating, especially on one side. I was kind of bummed, but I'm also choosing parts wisely, as far as weight is concerned, and since I've got most of the parts, either in-hand or on order, the project is becoming an even lighter than my last rifle, cerakoted and dipped in an A-TAC camo pattern. Since I don't want the hassles of ATF suppressor jail, crossing state lines, and all things NFA, etc..I wouldn't be using a suppressor anyway, I'd just go with the more traditional coatings, inside and out, and go for a camo pattern that should work year around, at least where I live, and still provide great corrosion resistance in a light as I can get it rifle.

I wish I could have taken the NiB route that you did, but I'd have gun parts strung out all over the place for who knows how long, and then the unknown of having the outside of the upper and lower NiB plating removed.

Great job on yours, though. It looks great and should last for a dozen or so generations of UW's.

FT
    NRA Life Member
    Basket full of Deplorables Life Member

Downloads
    Uploads
    ATACS is gonna tight, loose and sexy. If your wanting a NiB coating only in the upper Legion Firearms makes them. They were selling them at Weapon Outfitters and on their site.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Actually only on the insides of the upper and lower. Anyway thanks for the info, but I'm going to stick with plan B, now. I think one of UWone77's main reason for inner and outer coating was to help keep the mess of shooting suppressed a lot easier to clean up.

FT
    NRA Life Member
    Basket full of Deplorables Life Member

Downloads
    Uploads
    You could have your cerakoter micro slick the inside.