Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    Shot 110 rounds through the gun today.
    I didn't think you actually shot the thing, I just thought you took purdy pictures of it. I keed!

I'm interested to hear about lube and suppression as well. When I was back home for Xmas, I found my MK18 didn't last long with a WMD BCG and some less than optimum lube (Slip 2000, but NOT the EWL stuff...I got it "free" a few yeas ago because Slip shipped me the wrong stuff and told me to keep it). I didn't have any more lube with me, so I called it a day for that gun, but I'm looking forward to do some more dedicated testing.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have to be honest gents. This is about the only gun I felt a little bad prior to shooting her for the first time. Normally I don't give a crap if I accidentally scratch my weapon or get it dirty, but even I was surprised how good this gun looks. In fact I've decided I'm probably going to send off another set of receivers to WMD guns for another Nickel Boron Bath.

This will be my main shooter this year, so hopefully I'll make it to the range more often than not with this particular rifle.

Downloads
    Uploads
    It sure did turn out nice.

Question- is that the fde color strait from fortis or did you have it coated? As it looks like a pretty close match to the magpul fde color, atleast in the pics..

THE BIG COLORADO / and where the army takes me
    Downloads
    Uploads
    that is a great looking boom stick!!!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Haven't had chance this month to shoot this much with all the other shooting I'm doing for other projects. However, I did squeeze 2 magazines through it today while doing some pistol shooting. 30 suppressed rounds, 30 unsuppressed. No hiccups.

I plan to burn through 300-400 rounds through this next week.

Downloads
    Uploads
    You never answered my question..lol

Is that fde fortis rail there stock color? As it looks like its a pretty close match to the magpul fde???

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by mustangfreek View Post
    You never answered my question..lol

Is that fde fortis rail there stock color? As it looks like its a pretty close match to the magpul fde???
    Yeah, that's the stock FDE cerakote they offer. It is pretty close to Magpul FDE, but I'm not sure which shade of FDE they call it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Uwone77,
    I'm wondering if you might be interested in a simple test, to post with your other observations. I did this with a NiB BCU, to prove a point. I took my multi-meter, it has a temp probe, to the range with me and pumped 90 rounds through my LMT as fast as I could empty and dump mags. Measured the BCU, where I could reach it with the probe, withoug removing it from the upper. (I didn't want to waste valuable time, letting it cool quickly.

Then I removed the old phosphorus bolt and repeated the test with a Spikes NiB BCU, after letting the rifle to cool to outside temperature, (about mid 80's, if I remember). The difference was somewhere around 20+ degrees, the NiB being cooler, as I expected it to be, at least by a little.

I'd like to see you test all of yours, upper, lower, anywhere you can get several readings, and try the same test with another rifle (non-NiB) and see how much cooler the gun runs. My theory being the cooler, the longer it's going to last. Actually, I envy you a bit. I've thought about doing the same thing you have accomplished, but didn't know if I could pull it off, as far as NiB screwing up critical dimensions, etc. and also getting color into the nickel besides adding carbon for black.

Looking forward to hearing more, been wanting to know what the outcome was, when you get it done. I have a LMT rifle that I wouldn't mind offering up to the AR spirits, for the same treatment, depending on the costs, coloring, etc.

Thanks,
    FT
    NRA Life Member
    Basket full of Deplorables Life Member

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    Yeah, that's the stock FDE cerakote they offer. It is pretty close to Magpul FDE, but I'm not sure which shade of FDE they call it.
    Thanks....

It looks like a good match atleast from the pictures.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Couldn't help but try out another vendor for a NiB coated receiver. Just on aesthetics, the WMD job is much better than what I received locally. I haven't had a chance to completely build up the sister rifle to the NiB Project gun, so I'm not sure their NiB coating isn't as good or better. It appears that WMD Guns has a much nicer finish and is a little more polished looking.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I know it's not NiB but Rainier Arms has limited edition NTD bright bronze receiver sets in stock for a very good price.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by GOST View Post
    I know it's not NiB but Rainier Arms has limited edition NTD bright bronze receiver sets in stock for a very good price.
    Ah I have put a set in my cart like three times. Idk I like the burnt bronze they offer also. But the rainier is limited I guess and still looks nice

Downloads
    Uploads
    I picked one up talked to northtech there was only 30 made.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Sounds like your gonna have a very rare build. Can't wait to see it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    So whats the plans for this rifle ?

Matching NIB upper/ bcg also?