Quote Originally Posted by GOST View Post
Yeah back when I was in college I decided that I would like to take a 2 week paid vacation during the summer when I wasn't in school. So then I enlisted in the Air National Guards and was to be a Crew Chief at Mcghee Tyson in TN. Passed my physical and the following weekend I blew up my knee playing backyard football. I had a complete ACL tear, complete MCL tear and meniscus tear all on my left knee. I had surgery and got a 100% release from my surgeon. I passed my physical and waited for my date with basic. Shortly there after I was called to the recruiter's office thinking I was getting basic dates, instead there was my NGB Form 22. They told me that they could not take me because of rebuit body parts; on the form it said medical disqualification prior BMT, disharge was honorable, inelgibile for re-enlistment and 9 months and 12 days of service. Funny the Gov still classifies me as a veteran even though I've never even been to basic, I don't consider myself one though. I really wanted the 2 week paid vacation in the summer.
Wow, they gave you credit for 9 mos.? I'm not sure, because I came in under the old Viet Nam "Era" (joined after 'Nam in 75) G.I. Bill. But 180 day's good time and an Honorable discharge used to get you full benefits under the G.I. Bill. You ought to check that out. They changed the "G.I. Bill", mostly educational benefits, a few times while I was in, although you were grand fathered to what you had at the time, but the rest stayed the same. You may think you never need them, but you might someday. Especially if you want to do graduate work, start a business, or something.

FT