Page 3 of 93 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: Transfer Times

Downloads
    Uploads
    Out through the night and the whispering breezes
    To the place where they keep the imaginary diseases

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm familiar, but it kind of proves my point. For investment, now is not the time. But over the long term, even a Colt RR has been relatively flat for a period of time. It's like idiots trying to day trade that don't do it for a living. The stock market can be very lucrative, but you have to look at it long term, not short.

On the other side of the coin, there's always the question of "should I get it anyway because I might not have another opportunity?" And that's a fair question, too. If the trust issue with the ATF evaporates (which I'm guessing will happen), I'd bet the market will flatten for a bit. Probably not go down much, but probably flatten. In the meantime, I'm continuing to watch...but if I were to grab one now, I'd be lying to myself if I said it was for investment purposes.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I hate to believe it's my last transfer. Was thinking about a M203. Got to play with one last weekend & now have mixed feeling about it. Guy I'm buying my commando from is looking @ the M79. Said I would buy his used 203.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've been toying with the idea of buying an M16 lower for a long time. Still can't justify the cost, as it's not liquid enough to be a good investment with all the NFA nonsense horeshit ...

Still, I would love to be able to play with full auto whenever I like. I have a friend with an M16 and I've shot it several times with my uppers. With a mid-length and a Battle Comp, there is little to no muzzle rise and bursts stay right on target. Soooo fun!

Maybe I'll just pick up a registered auto sear? Sounds stupid but if it works who cares right?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by MoxyDave View Post

Maybe I'll just pick up a registered auto sear? Sounds stupid but if it works who cares right?
    baboon may be more read in on this, but from the little bit of research I've done, it seems a LL or sear is even more of a unicorn than a lower receiver. If you look on the site that baboon posted, you can see that the last year or two, on a good month, only about 5 Lightning Links or sears are transferred, compared to an average of 30+/month for just Colt receivers. Add in other conversions, and the number goes up some more.

I still haven't convinced myself that it's worth the expense, but continue to watch. But again, with the several cases of 7n6 I have, it's tempting.

Downloads
    Uploads
    LL will work in both 5.56 lower & the 7.62 variety. RDIAS only fir the smaller sized lowers.

I'm very happy with the way my register M16A2 works. Got to shoot it over last weekend. Both the Colt CQB upper & my LMT piston upper ran like scaled dawgs! Ran my Quicksilver suppressor on the LMT without any problems as well.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm sure some of you have received this e-mail from the ATF. Looks like they're making some progress at the NFA branch processing paperwork.

Good afternoon:

We are pleased to announce the following updates to the eForms system:

1. Performance enhancements – We were able to address some of the technical issues. You will see improvements in the overall performance of the system.

2. We are able to add the ATF Form 1 back to the eForms system. Our plans are to closely monitor the performance of the system in order to determine if we will be able to add additional forms back to the system.

Below is an update on the status on our processing of paper and electronic NFA applications. In the future, this information will be available through links on the eForms login screen:

In follow-up to ATF’s letter dated April 16, 2014, regarding the status of the eForms system; this update is being provided to inform the industry of ATF’s progress in addressing eForms and paper NFA applications. To accommodate the substantial increase in application volume that has recently occurred, ATF is working diligently to decrease processing times while continuing to enhance the eForms platform.

What is our progress to date?

From a peak of over 81,000 pending NFA applications at the end of February 2014, as of June 18, 2014, ATF has reduced the number to less than 63,000 applications pending (23% reduction in pending applications). In the last four weeks, although the NFA Branch received over 17,800 applications we processed more than 22,400 applications.

The statistics in the table below represent the processing of NFA Forms over the past four weeks.

NFA FORMS PROCESSED BY WEEK

Date (Week of) 5/28/2014 6/4/2014 6/11/2014 6/18/2014

All Forms 4,815 5,629 5,635 6,323

eForms 1,199 1,204 1,905 1,682

Paper Forms 3,616 4,425 3,730 4,641

At the same time, ATF has directed additional resources to NFA application processing:

· There are currently 15 Legal Instrument Examiner (LIE) applicants currently in the background investigation phase of hiring.

· The use of overtime funding has been authorized for those employees processing NFA applications.

· ATF has cross-trained LIEs from various other ATF branches to support NFA application processing. This is an ongoing process and has already beneficially impacted application processing.

· ATF has dedicated additional data entry contract resources to reduce the time it takes for an application to be entered into the National Firearms Registration and Transfer Record (NFRTR). As a result, data entry time has already been reduced from eight weeks to two weeks.

If you have any questions regarding any of the information included in this email, you may contact us through the eForms system by using “Ask the Experts” or by emailing us at eforms.admin_atf.gov.

Thank you for your continued support of eForms.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Sounds good, thanks for the update dood.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Another thing that I haven't seen mentioned here is that 41P has been pushed back to January 2015. I've mentioned it before, but I have a sneaky suspicion it will dissolve into the ether and become a non-event.

That said, the fact that it's been pushed back, and with times "improving," it does have me contemplating grabbing a SF 5.56 SOCOM now for "posterity."

Downloads
    Uploads
    gator,

I'm surprised you didn't comment that the ATF's Legal Instrument Examiners are (LIEs)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    gator,

I'm surprised you didn't comment that theATF's Legal Instrument Examiners are (LIEs)
    Ha!

Downloads
    Uploads
    gator,

I'm surprised you didn't comment that the ATF's Legal Instrument Examiners are (LIEs)
    I guess I'm a softy. I don't blame the examiners for agency policy and bureaucracy.

In other news... I called Silencer Shop today and they said they were right around 30-40 days for Form 3s. I'm debating ordering from them with the longer wait time for a lower price or buying local (assuming I can talk them down again like I did for the 7.62) and paying tax. Not that I don't always pay tax on online purchases, of course.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by gatordev View Post

In other news... I called Silencer Shop today and they said they were right around 30-40 days for Form 3s. I'm debating ordering from them with the longer wait time for a lower price or buying local (assuming I can talk them down again like I did for the 7.62) and paying tax. Not that I don't always pay tax on online purchases, of course.
    Well, crap. In my effort to go see about grabbing a 5.56 SOCOM, I found out that they're out of stock right now. Should have new ones in 3-5 weeks. However, they did have SOCOM Minis in stock, which, after hanging one off of a 16" gun, brought about an interesting conundrum. Go with a lighter, slightly shorter can "now" that may or may not be noticed as slightly louder (which isn't my first priority), or go with the standard size and deal with the Form 3 wait? or wait and get the standard size for more money (about $90) locally. Decisions...

Initially the plan was to get another 5.56 "standard" size can and have it just in case 41P did come about, but it's an interesting argument to go with the Mini and run it on all my 12.5" and greater guns.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I don't have a Surefire Mini, but I do have an AAC Mini.

The AAC Mini is good for flash reduction and *some* noise reduction, but in my opinion, not hearing safe for more than a couple of rounds.

Next 3 cans will be standard size.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I don't have a Surefire Mini, but I do have an AAC Mini.

The AAC Mini is good for flash reduction and *some* noise reduction, but in my opinion, not hearing safe for more than a couple of rounds.

Next 3 cans will be standard size.
    That's kind of where my head is at, but in my Googling, I've found that while there's a dB difference, at the shooter's ear (on an AR), it's not noticeable. Probably the biggest thing that had me rethinking this was I was able to slide the Mini onto the end of a Noveske 16" gun in the shop. Now the gun itself was fairly light to begin with, but the feel of the added weight at the end was noticeably less than when I put my 212 on the end of my SR-15 (my lightest 16" gun that has a mount on it).

Of course the much bigger problem is that if I'm worried about weight/mobility/run and gunning, I'm just going to use my fantastically agile 12.5" CA-barreled gun. Other than my MK18, that thing really is just the most fun AR I own.