1 1.85%
  • Wait for the Next System

0 0%
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: KeyMod Vs M-Lok

Downloads
    Uploads

KeyMod Vs M-Lok

I've decided to lighten up my rifle by going with a lighter rail system. Currently I have the Midwest Iindustries extended carbine picatinny rail. Its heavy at over a pound (barrel nut included).

With MI new offerings, I see that I can likely shave 1/2 lb off AND add 2.5" of rail space by going with the SSK Key Mod or MLok series (MLok not yet released but I hope it will be by the beginning of next month). So, I'm pretty sure I want to go ahead and do it.

But... I don't want to go with one technology just to have the market leave it behind in 5 years time leaving me without direct attach accessories. In reality, all I am going to want to add is a light mount.

So, KeyMod, MLok, the next design or something else? I'm wanting a 15" rail that's light (main attraction to MI's new stuff).

Downloads
    Uploads
    If all you want to use is a light mount, then does it matter if the industry abandons the system in a few years? It's not like you'll be highly invested in accessories, so if the Next Big Thing in handguards comes out in 3-4 years time, you can simply switch.

Otherwise, if you're really worried about industry support years from now, you had best stick with picatinny quad rails. M-Lok handguards and accessories aren't even available yet, so it's impossible to know what will happen between the two non-picatinny standards.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Between M-LOK and Keymod I like the later better. If I was in the market for a super light rail I would wait for the BCM KMR 15", it's been reported to be less than 9 oz including barrel nut. So far nobody can beat the KMR for mounting possibilities and weight.
    DEUTERONOMY 6:5
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've looked at the BCM KMR already. I think Mr. GunsNGear did a youtube video of it. I didn't know there were plans for a 15" tube though. But, I guess that makes sense.

I really really like the QD swivel locations on the MI SSK ones. I can get it for under 2 bills shipped from DSG arms which isn't bad. And I hope to sell my old rail for 100 to off set it at least some.

Back to the BCM KMR.... In the archery world, the magnesium bows are sort of approached with hesitation due to durability issues since its basically pot metal. Is the KMR the same? I'm not going to battle with the thing but it will see hard use in the woods and on a farm killing evasive feral hogs.

I've also been looking at the Seekings MCSR (about 165 shipped), but there is no specs on weight. I plan on calling them tomorrow to see if they have any specs.

All in all, the Midwest Industries rail has the most visual appeal to me and I really like the QD sling attachment way out there at the end of the rail (where I'd put it). It is a top contender.

Gost, I think I will go toward the Keymod. It really seems to be gaining traction. I'll get one or two rails to throw in a drawer for future use if it tanks and run my BUIS and light mount on the 12 o'clock rail like I do now.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by tappedandtagged View Post
    I've looked at the BCM KMR already. I think Mr. GunsNGear did a youtube video of it. I didn't know there were plans for a 15" tube though. But, I guess that makes sense.

I really really like the QD swivel locations on the MI SSK ones. I can get it for under 2 bills shipped from DSG arms which isn't bad. And I hope to sell my old rail for 100 to off set it at least some.

Back to the BCM KMR.... In the archery world, the magnesium bows are sort of approached with hesitation due to durability issues since its basically pot metal. Is the KMR the same? I'm not going to battle with the thing but it will see hard use in the woods and on a farm killing evasive feral hogs.

I've also been looking at the Seekings MCSR (about 165 shipped), but there is no specs on weight. I plan on calling them tomorrow to see if they have any specs.

All in all, the Midwest Industries rail has the most visual appeal to me and I really like the QD sling attachment way out there at the end of the rail (where I'd put it). It is a top contender.

Gost, I think I will go toward the Keymod. It really seems to be gaining traction. I'll get one or two rails to throw in a drawer for future use if it tanks and run my BUIS and light mount on the 12 o'clock rail like I do now.
    I have both the BCM KMR and the MI SSK. The BCM rail will ding, divot and scratch easily, but I don't baby any of my rifles, and none are "Barbies" and while I don't intentionally abuse them, if they get a ding here or there, it's "oh well". Pic's of 4 year old rifles, meticulously cleaned weekly with Q-tip's and only brought out of the safe for friends and photo's isn't my thing. Nothing wrong with that, I see a lot of it. That being said, other's results with the BCM KMR rail will vary for sure.

The rifle for the MI SSK (15"), isn't complete yet, but hopefully will be by end of summer or sooner, so I can't comment on it. I'm curious to see how it stands up. I think the weight for it is approx. 9oz. including barrel nut.

As far as which will be around and which will be forgotten, well I think that's painfully clear. Just as a handful of vendors have started offering accessories for the K-Mod format, someone, I think it was UWone77, posted an announcement from Magpul about the M-LOK, and the list of supporting vendors was pretty staggering, something like 20 or 30 maybe? And that's just a start. I like the K-MOD format, but I think it's running on fumes, now. No need to tear them off of your rifles, one can always buy a short piece of rail for picatinny accessories, but I've pretty much got all the accessories I need for now, (KMR) so I'm not going to mourn it's death, if that is what actually happens.

FT
    FT
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger
    Filthy Stinking Wal Mart Shopper

Downloads
    Uploads
    I think it's way to early to start comparing the two. M-Lok accessories aren't even out yet. Personally I'll just wait for an attachment system that doesn't require tools (looks like keymod is going that way with BCM's keymod VFG).

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Deckard View Post
    I think it's way to early to start comparing the two. M-Lok accessories aren't even out yet. Personally I'll just wait for an attachment system that doesn't require tools (looks like keymod is going that way with BCM's keymod VFG).
    This.

Gents, M-LOK, and the subsequent Magpul accessories aren't even out yet. Until we get a full idea of what is actually being released and what kind of accessories Magpul puts out, wondering about which platform might be abandoned is getting way ahead of ourselves.

Right now there is plenty of support for KeyMod, Noveske, BCM, Mega, ect, so I don't think it's going anywhere.

Personally, I still like my Centurion Arms C4 Quad rails. When I got a Aero M4E1 upper, I couldn't decide on M-Lok or KeyMod, so I opted for the quad.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    This.

Gents, M-LOK, and the subsequent Magpul accessories aren't even out yet. Until we get a full idea of what is actually being released and what kind of accessories Magpul puts out, wondering about which platform might be abandoned is getting way ahead of ourselves.

Right now there is plenty of support for KeyMod, Noveske, BCM, Mega, ect, so I don't think it's going anywhere.

Personally, I still like my Centurion Arms C4 Quad rails. When I got a Aero M4E1 upper, I couldn't decide on M-Lok or KeyMod, so I opted for the quad.
    I like my quad rail, I just don't like the weight. And I wish the QD was out further. If someone will remind me I'll take it to work Wednesday night and put it on the postal scale we have and weight it out. On paper, I should be able to cut nearly 1/2 pound by going with the MI SSK or MLok rail. More if I don't get the 15" rail.

Downloads
    Uploads
    What's the full specs on your rifle?

Downloads
    Uploads
    It started life as a Windham SRC (railed gas block). Barrel has been swapped out to a 16" Windham M4 profile 1:9 barrel with a pinned FSB.

From back to front:

Vltor Imod Clubfoot (factory commercial reciever extension still)
    Magpul MOE + grip
    Magpul MOE trigger guard
    BCM Med Gunfighter Charging Handle
    Samson Mfg rear flip up BUIS
    Factory BCG
    KNS pins on factory fire control group (Geissele G2S is scheduled to be delivered tomorrow, the KNS pins won't go back on)
    EoTech 512
    Lancer opaque mag
    US Nightvision DTOM mag well "slap"
    Midwest Industries Gen 2 Extended Carbine free float quad rail
    Surefire Railcovers
    Elzetta ZRX light mount
    Streamlight Polytac LED
    SilencerCo Trifecta
    SWR SpecWar 556 (Not pictured)
    Painted in Brownells Alumna Hyde II OD Green
    Last edited by tappedandtagged; 26 May 2014 at 20:06. Reason: spelling errors

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    This.

UW,

I don't think we've reached a state of mass panic, one way or the other, but I believe it was one of your posts that begat "the writing on the wall".

A handfull of vendors are putting out a few items, mostly the same things that the others are offering, for Keymod.

It was one of the posts in the new products thread, or announcements, I don't remember, about a month ago or so that heralded the Magpul M LOK system, and listed a bunch of vendors, maybe 20 or so, who were announcing that they were onboard with Magpul's version. Not that it really matters, or at least to me (I've got Quad Rails) 2 Keymod's, and another I won in the members give away. I'll be able to get what matters to me. Maybe on my absolutely, positively, no doubt, very last build, I'll be using something else, can't say.

But my point is, when you get 20 or more vendors throwing their hat in the ring for a brand new system, others are sure to follow, and I think Keymod support will dwindle to supplies on hand.

And lastly, this Poll was a little vague. Keymod Vs. M-LOK. Didn't know if that was a question, statement, an invite for debate, who owns what, or what. When I see an Aimpoint mount for one or the other, machined in the top of the hand guard, in lieu of a rail, then I think we'll know.

FT
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger
    Filthy Stinking Wal Mart Shopper

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by FortTom View Post

And lastly, this Poll was a little vague. Keymod Vs. M-LOK. Didn't know if that was a question, statement, an invite for debate, who owns what, or what.
    To answer that.... Yes :D My hopes was that folks would debate, hypothesize, theorize, argue and talk about these two systems.
    The actual poll, well, that's just for fun. My experience on forums has shown that people like polls.

Now moving on...... Here is what I like about the Key Mod system, it's not brand spanking new and several manufacturers are making it and direct attach accessories are becoming more abundant.

What I don't like about KM is that for the length of time it's been put, direct attach accessories aren't as common as I think they should be. I also think it looks stupid ugly.... But it is growing on me, albeit slowly.

What I like about the MLok, seems simple and Magpul is behind it. Since Magpul is behind it and they make a lot of accessories I like, I can see it catching on quickly. I also like the simple looks of the slots. Much prettier than the "back of the click keymod slot."

I don't particularly like the T nuts of the MLok system, but I think my reservations regarding them will be dismissed once I get hands on experience with them.

All in all, I'm gonna start working OT as I can (baby due any day now, so not sure that's gonna fit in) and put that money aside for a new rail. I NEED to be happy with my new Geissele G2S that is scheduled to show up tomorrow on the brown truck.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Congratulations on the new baby, that's almost as cool as the G2S. I kid, boy or girl?
    DEUTERONOMY 6:5
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads
    I like quad rails. I don't think they are that much heavier. Seems like all the new rails are light, until you have to start adding rail pieces and other stuff.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I voted mlok.