Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: .300 blackout

Downloads
    Uploads
    See thats another thing i need to find out, as what is the regs in washington about hunting with semi autos, been out of the deer hunting game for a while, but my son is showing interest, but i do know the minimum for rifle caliber to take deer is 6mm/243 but just need to find out about the semi auto part .

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for reminding me of the hunting aspect. I forget a lot of places require 30 caliber rounds to hunt with. That and with some states not allowing suppressor use for hunting, I see your points. So in that regard, if you plan to use 300 BLK For hunting, a 16" will work just fine.

mustangfreek, you better start on that suppressor paperwork and saving up for one before January's magical ATF 41P

Downloads
    Uploads
    Ya i know you have yo have a minimum of a 6mm/243 bullet when doing modern firearm.,but i have been out of the loop for 6-8 years so no totally sure if anything there has changed.

Now about the 16" blackout barrels i see some with pistol and some with carbine length gas systems, is one better then the other? I see noveske favors the pistol and rainier the carbine length systems, this is just looking on rainiers site btw..

About the suppressor "magical ATF 41p" , i have no idea, as with having no cans unfortunately, i have not totally kept up on the laws and such...
    Last edited by mustangfreek; 21 July 2014 at 02:40.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by mustangfreek View Post
    Ya i know you have yo have a minimum of a 6mm/243 bullet when doing modern firearm.,but i have been out of the loop for 6-8 years so no totally sure if anything there has changed.

Now about the 16" blackout barrels i see some with pistol and some with carbine length gas systems, is one better then the other? I see noveske favors the pistol and rainier the carbine length systems, this is just looking on rainiers site btw..

About the suppressor "magical ATF 41p" , i have no idea, as with having no cans unfortunately, i have not totally kept up on the laws and such...
    I believe the thought is the pistol system more reliably handles the varying pressures or super and sub rounds. That being said, I've not heard of many problems with the carbine systems. Most of the problems I have heard of were caused by a crooked gas block, or solved by a simple buffer swap on various length builds.

AAC even uses a carbine setup on their 16" barrels. I don't think you'll have a problem either way you go.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm running mostly suppressed with 208 A-Max on 9.6g of A5744, COAL of 2.215 (I think... at work right now) - managed to get a bunch of the 5744 whereas I cannot locate but a single pound of A1680. I think my FPS is in the 950-1050 range?

For supers I run M80 pulls over 15.6g of H110, or Hornady 150 FMJ. I have a bunch of Varmegeddon and some blemished Barnes TAC-TX that I have yet to tinker with - I'm having WAY too much fun with the suppressor! (Specwar762)

Everything out of an 8" pistol gas 1:7 barrel with an SLR DA-7 adjustable block.

Sorry - know this is an older post but I'm just having too much fun reloading the 300blk subs!
    -----------------------------------------------
    Jim
    "You can never have too many guns" - my wife's actual comment
    Alaska Fun

Downloads
    Uploads
    My rifle is a 16 inch rainier select. I've only got two loads worked up for it right now. First one is CCI #400 primer, nosler 110gr varmageddon with 19.3 grains of W296, coal 2.060 with an average velocity of about 2350fps. Second load is CCI #400 primer, 125gr hornady sst with 17.8 grains of W296, coal 2.105 with an average velocity of 2170 fps. I'm going to use the sst for deer this year. I just lucked into some h110 powder and have some 125gr ballistic tips and some 125gr speer tnt to work up. I'm going to hold off on the new loads until I can sbr my blackout though. I've been eyeballing the Aero 8.2 inch barrel.
    Last edited by CountChocula; 19 September 2014 at 00:11.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Is LC brass the best to convert, anything and everything, etc....Im new to the blackout round, but not reloading............Go !!!
    Yes, LC brass is best to convert. Wall thickness around 1.360 inches from the base will often determine success or failure. As a rule of thumb, if the wall thickness is greater than 0.014 (0.013 or less is best), there may be problems with the loaded diameter of the neck being too large to chamber easily. All LC brass has a wall thickness less than 0.014.
    "Never forget those who have died; Never forget who killed them."
    -Unknown

Downloads
    Uploads
    Here's a good sticky from 300BLKtalk.com that deals with the good and bad cases to use
    Good/Bad cases for 300BLK
    Jim
    Alaska Fun

Downloads
    Uploads
    Good info fellas...Im still keeping tabs on this....for a possible future build.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Last I checked you can hunt with a pistol in Washington.
    I'm very slowly building a BO pistol, I plan on putting in for my stamp and making my own suppressor. I also plan on loading lead bullets from Missouri Bullet Company, they are making a bullet specifically for suppressed .300 blk.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I built my 300 for hunting. It is a Rainier ultra match 16" that I am thinking about having cut down and pinned with a mount for my new 762-SD that should be here soon.

Don't want to go SBR on this one, as ND won't let me hunt with it yet. We don't have any wording about suppressors, though.

Downloads
    Uploads
    FYI, the Bulls eye range in tacoma has H110 in stock. If I did not have 3 more pounds of IMR 4227, I would have bought some. I'll drop my loads I'm using with 110 grain bullets tonight when I get home from work. My Remmy 700 loves the PNW 155 grain match hollo point, it's moving at 2200 TPD and delivering 1400 ft lbs at least h muzzle. Velocity was measured with a magnitude o chrono yesterday. I'm having a lot of fun working loads for 300 black out!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for the bump and info, still have no BO gun but have slowly collected components and wish that wasnt so far away. id like a pound of H110 to have on hand when i get there.

Swissy jim, your post and pics makes me rethink what i was planning which was a 16" gun for hunting purposes, but making up loads is something i enjoy and the short barrel/silencer sounds like a blast to play with

Downloads
    Uploads
    A very quiet blast, though. ;-)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for the bump and info, still have no BO gun but have slowly collected components and wish that wasnt so far away. id like a pound of H110 to have on hand when i get there.

Swissy jim, your post and pics makes me rethink what i was planning which was a 16" gun for hunting purposes, but making up loads is something i enjoy and the short barrel/silencer sounds like a blast to play with
    It is fun, no doubt. And truthfully, since the round really is optimized for a shorter barrel, there is no reason you cannot hunt with a shorter barrel (if legally allowed!) . I plan on attempting to get a caribou this coming fall with my SBR. Still working out details, but looks like a fly in caribou huntwill happen in late August! Have the Lehigh Defense bullets just for the occasion...

Quote Originally Posted by nobodyspecial View Post
    A very quiet blast, though. ;-)
    I see what you did there..

editing to add this - dunno if you saw it in my review thread of the PA optic, but after I finalized my 190g sub loads, I put a few thru the suppressor. Note the lack of my hearing protection

my new goto sub load:
    190g Nosler Custom Competition
    2.215 COAL
    11.6g Reloader7

gets me the follwoing:
    Series, 3, Shots:, 5
    Min, 968, Max, 994
    Avg, 980 ,S-D,10.0
    ES , 26

Series,Shot,Speed
    3, 1, 977, ft/s
    3, 2, 994, ft/s
    3, 3, 986, ft/s
    3, 4, 976, ft/s
    3, 5, 968, ft/s

and the 5 shot group was all touching at my test distance of 25yrds. now that I have it tweaked, I'll load lots more and push the target out to 50, 75 and 100yds. and buying the 2nds at SPS for $.17 a round helps with the cost of plinking!
    Last edited by SwissyJim; 24 February 2015 at 15:31.
    Jim
    Alaska Fun