Quote Originally Posted by WHSmithIV View Post
Yep, we might be eating whatever we can scrounge up from our shelves and pantry. Hunting a deer is less than 10 miles away though too. We harvest our two tags each year and believe me, I shoot the largest ones I find. Ammo and some guns we do have. It's staying that way too.

We don't go out shooting for fun though - that's just too much wasted ammo that we can't afford. If we did that we wouldn't even have ramen noodles - we'd just starve and die. For the last 2 months we've been eating the two lambs we raised for slaughter. Shot them, cleaned and butchered them and put the meat in the freezer. It will be at least 10 months more though before we have more lambs to slaughter. Our heard is very small and we lost 3 of the ewes.. 2 of them to predators, one to a birth complication. Not a good year for sure. I''m going to try to scrounge up an extra deer tag or two to make up the meat loss. Hunting season doesn't start for another month or so.
Someone who speaks my language! I still have a couple hind-quarters in the deep freeze. We eat venison atleast 1-2 a week at our house. I'm not sure where you live, but I know in Kentucky we sell the original 2 tags, then for 7$ more you can take another doe (or anterless buck) for 3 total per person. My wife and I got 5 total last season and are just now (almost a year later) getting to the end of it. We have a little bit of acreage on our property so we set up stands, food plots and trail cams early in the season. We have about 25 head of cattle and about a dozen chickens. I've processed my fair share of meat myself

PM if you want to continue conversation, trying to keep this thread about the build, but more then happy to talk to you about anything homestead/hunting related.