Quote Originally Posted by WHSmithIV View Post
The hunting license here is $12. The only food animals that require tags are deer, elk and mountain goat. I do only hunt in season. No permits are required for game birds other than the annual $12 license. No license is required at all to shoot wild rabbits. We don't get attached to the rabbits we raise. We do tend to give them names though. The last two were Stew and Filet :)

As far as what we grow, we grow spinach, green beans, peas, lettuce, sometimes we manage to get tomatoes to succeed, lots of potatoes, cucumber, radishes, carrots, bell peppers, cucumber and corn. We don't can food, we freeze it just because it's easier and even with the extra freezer outside our electric bill runs about $85 a month average. That's because in the winter we supplement the wood stove heat with electric heat when we go to sleep at night. There is only my wife and I though so that's why our food bills are so low. If I slaughter 4 lambs and harvest 2 decent size deer then we have 8 months or more of meat. Supplement that with rabbit either raised or hunted and the only meat we buy is some occasional beef, pork or chicken. Some of my customers also pay me with beef and salmon. One of the really wealthy old guys in the valley darn near bleeds if he has to write a $25 check to pay for a house call but he'll happily hand me $80 worth of frozen salmon filets instead.

Any seeds you'd like to send are always more than welcome. Most of our summer grocery bill is actually the seeds. The first year I grew corn we had 400 stalks. That was too much. 1/4 of an acre can grow a LOT for just two people. We could plant an acre but water would be difficult for it. Irrigation water has been non-existent all summer. All the water for what we grew had to come from our well. This area has been in pretty serious drought now for all the 3 years we've been here and, apparently for the last 5 years in a row. The river is as dry as a bone.

Tried some watermelon a couple years ago - they grew to be about the size of baseballs ....... then the autumn cold set in. We're over a mile high here.

I'd love to see a thread dedicated to the way you live. That's impressive. How's the internet out there? Satellite? Phones?