Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by WHSmithIV View Post
    Yep, we might be eating whatever we can scrounge up from our shelves and pantry. Hunting a deer is less than 10 miles away though too. We harvest our two tags each year and believe me, I shoot the largest ones I find. Ammo and some guns we do have. It's staying that way too.

We don't go out shooting for fun though - that's just too much wasted ammo that we can't afford. If we did that we wouldn't even have ramen noodles - we'd just starve and die. For the last 2 months we've been eating the two lambs we raised for slaughter. Shot them, cleaned and butchered them and put the meat in the freezer. It will be at least 10 months more though before we have more lambs to slaughter. Our heard is very small and we lost 3 of the ewes.. 2 of them to predators, one to a birth complication. Not a good year for sure. I''m going to try to scrounge up an extra deer tag or two to make up the meat loss. Hunting season doesn't start for another month or so.
    Someone who speaks my language! I still have a couple hind-quarters in the deep freeze. We eat venison atleast 1-2 a week at our house. I'm not sure where you live, but I know in Kentucky we sell the original 2 tags, then for 7$ more you can take another doe (or anterless buck) for 3 total per person. My wife and I got 5 total last season and are just now (almost a year later) getting to the end of it. We have a little bit of acreage on our property so we set up stands, food plots and trail cams early in the season. We have about 25 head of cattle and about a dozen chickens. I've processed my fair share of meat myself

PM if you want to continue conversation, trying to keep this thread about the build, but more then happy to talk to you about anything homestead/hunting related.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quick update, trying to play around with different backgrounds in an attempt to mask my sucky photography...

UCWRG LPK

B5 Systems Stock

Downloads
    Uploads
    Very nice collection of parts....this should be good.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by browcs View Post
    Very nice collection of parts....this should be good.
    It's much appreciated thank you. If I've learned anything over the years posting at all these forums it's you can have the best parts and still end up with a mediocre build. So I'm keeping my fingers crossed

Downloads
    Uploads
    WHSmith, Just curious, do you just live off acreage and get the majority of your meat off of the land? If so, that's impressive.

Yep, we might be eating whatever we can scrounge up from our shelves and pantry. Hunting a deer is less than 10 miles away though too. We harvest our two tags each year and believe me, I shoot the largest ones I find. Ammo and some guns we do have. It's staying that way too.

We don't go out shooting for fun though - that's just too much wasted ammo that we can't afford. If we did that we wouldn't even have ramen noodles - we'd just starve and die. For the last 2 months we've been eating the two lambs we raised for slaughter. Shot them, cleaned and butchered them and put the meat in the freezer. It will be at least 10 months more though before we have more lambs to slaughter. Our heard is very small and we lost 3 of the ewes.. 2 of them to predators, one to a birth complication. Not a good year for sure. I''m going to try to scrounge up an extra deer tag or two to make up the meat loss. Hunting season doesn't start for another month or so.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    WHSmith, Just curious, do you just live off acreage and get the majority of your meat off of the land? If so, that's impressive.
    The majority of our meat we get from raising lambs for meat and from the hunting. We raised some meat rabbits also that I've slaughtered. I am the computer repair company in this this 2000 sq mile+ country but that isn't enough work to really survive. It manages to just pay the basic bills though. So, we raise lambs for additional profit and for our own meat. Our neighbor has chickens that lay more eggs than they can eat so she''s always dropping off extra eggs. We grow about a quarter acre of produce in the summer. The summer grocery bill is almost zero. Our monthly average grocery bill isn't more than around $80 a month. We'd raise some cattle if we had more acreage but our land is too small for that. Perhaps in the future though since there are land parcels in the 10 acre range close by for sale. Our vast majority of meat is what we raise and what we can hunt. We have to rebuild the sheep herd though now.

Sure wish I could afford those kinds of parts to build a rifle. I built mine over a year and half with what I could find at the best prices. The rifle cost me $506 to build. The upper receiver and the butt stock kit were sent to me for free from on-line friends who had them just lying around. I've started a 7.62x39 build bot don't expect to have it completed for at least another 18 months - unless I win a lottery ticket (which is kind of hard to do since I don't buy them :) )

We live in the Big Lost River Valley of Idaho. Look for Arco Idaho on Google Earth and you'll see the area easily enough. Were about 6 miles north of Arco.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The summer grocery bill is almost zero. Our monthly average grocery bill isn't more than around $80 a month.
    Wow that's quite impressive! My wife and I put in a tremendous amount of work trying to be self sufficient but we're still no where near your grocery total, though we are getting closer. What kinds of produce are you growing? If you ever need some non-gmo heirloom seeds for your garden please feel free to PM me. I tried raising the rabbits aswell, but my wife and daughter would get so attached that we ended up with pets instead of food, so needless to say I quit putting energy into that one. There are many more seasons available then deer if you have the time and are after low-priced/high quality food. I'm not familiar with Idaho's game laws, but in Kentucky you can get a sportsman's license for 95$ that covers the entire gamut of legal game for the year (in season of course) from deer, elk, turkey, fishing & small game which is a tremendous savings over buying each permit separately and much less then buying meat from the grocery. Just please make sure your hunting in season, I'd hate to hear about you getting a hefty fine...

I truly wish your family the best, if there's anything I can do please feel free to contact me.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by DutyUse View Post
    Wow that's quite impressive! My wife and I put in a tremendous amount of work trying to be self sufficient but we're still no where near your grocery total, though we are getting closer. What kinds of produce are you growing? If you ever need some non-gmo heirloom seeds for your garden please feel free to PM me. I tried raising the rabbits aswell, but my wife and daughter would get so attached that we ended up with pets instead of food, so needless to say I quit putting energy into that one. There are many more seasons available then deer if you have the time and are after low-priced/high quality food. I'm not familiar with Idaho's game laws, but in Kentucky you can get a sportsman's license for 95$ that covers the entire gamut of legal game for the year (in season of course) from deer, elk, turkey, fishing & small game which is a tremendous savings over buying each permit separately and much less then buying meat from the grocery. Just please make sure your hunting in season, I'd hate to hear about you getting a hefty fine...

I truly wish your family the best, if there's anything I can do please feel free to contact me.
    The hunting license here is $12. The only food animals that require tags are deer, elk and mountain goat. I do only hunt in season. No permits are required for game birds other than the annual $12 license. No license is required at all to shoot wild rabbits. We don't get attached to the rabbits we raise. We do tend to give them names though. The last two were Stew and Filet :)

As far as what we grow, we grow spinach, green beans, peas, lettuce, sometimes we manage to get tomatoes to succeed, lots of potatoes, cucumber, radishes, carrots, bell peppers, cucumber and corn. We don't can food, we freeze it just because it's easier and even with the extra freezer outside our electric bill runs about $85 a month average. That's because in the winter we supplement the wood stove heat with electric heat when we go to sleep at night. There is only my wife and I though so that's why our food bills are so low. If I slaughter 4 lambs and harvest 2 decent size deer then we have 8 months or more of meat. Supplement that with rabbit either raised or hunted and the only meat we buy is some occasional beef, pork or chicken. Some of my customers also pay me with beef and salmon. One of the really wealthy old guys in the valley darn near bleeds if he has to write a $25 check to pay for a house call but he'll happily hand me $80 worth of frozen salmon filets instead.

Any seeds you'd like to send are always more than welcome. Most of our summer grocery bill is actually the seeds. The first year I grew corn we had 400 stalks. That was too much. 1/4 of an acre can grow a LOT for just two people. We could plant an acre but water would be difficult for it. Irrigation water has been non-existent all summer. All the water for what we grew had to come from our well. This area has been in pretty serious drought now for all the 3 years we've been here and, apparently for the last 5 years in a row. The river is as dry as a bone.

Tried some watermelon a couple years ago - they grew to be about the size of baseballs ....... then the autumn cold set in. We're over a mile high here.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quality build, I like it~!

Also, made respect for your ethics of survival! I'm pretty sure I'd last maybe a month or two in the wild being a city slicker....
    BRUUUHHHH....Do you EVEN OPERATE?!?!

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm looking forward to seeing some pics and a range report from the finished product with those parts :) I like that B5 Systems stock too. if I end up going over pistol length for the 7.62x39 I'm likely to use one of those stocks.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Just went and picked this up. Still not sure which direction AB arms wants to go however...

Downloads
    Uploads
    The hunting license here is $12. The only food animals that require tags are deer, elk and mountain goat. I do only hunt in season. No permits are required for game birds other than the annual $12 license. No license is required at all to shoot wild rabbits. We don't get attached to the rabbits we raise. We do tend to give them names though. The last two were Stew and Filet :)

As far as what we grow, we grow spinach, green beans, peas, lettuce, sometimes we manage to get tomatoes to succeed, lots of potatoes, cucumber, radishes, carrots, bell peppers, cucumber and corn. We don't can food, we freeze it just because it's easier and even with the extra freezer outside our electric bill runs about $85 a month average. That's because in the winter we supplement the wood stove heat with electric heat when we go to sleep at night. There is only my wife and I though so that's why our food bills are so low. If I slaughter 4 lambs and harvest 2 decent size deer then we have 8 months or more of meat. Supplement that with rabbit either raised or hunted and the only meat we buy is some occasional beef, pork or chicken. Some of my customers also pay me with beef and salmon. One of the really wealthy old guys in the valley darn near bleeds if he has to write a $25 check to pay for a house call but he'll happily hand me $80 worth of frozen salmon filets instead.

Any seeds you'd like to send are always more than welcome. Most of our summer grocery bill is actually the seeds. The first year I grew corn we had 400 stalks. That was too much. 1/4 of an acre can grow a LOT for just two people. We could plant an acre but water would be difficult for it. Irrigation water has been non-existent all summer. All the water for what we grew had to come from our well. This area has been in pretty serious drought now for all the 3 years we've been here and, apparently for the last 5 years in a row. The river is as dry as a bone.

Tried some watermelon a couple years ago - they grew to be about the size of baseballs ....... then the autumn cold set in. We're over a mile high here.

I'd love to see a thread dedicated to the way you live. That's impressive. How's the internet out there? Satellite? Phones?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Got the lower in today. Thru it together to see what needs changed before cerakote. Suggestions?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Ya , that grip wont match the cerakote, better send it my way......lol...

Downloads
    Uploads
    I think it needs a Giessele SDE instead of the Elftman..

The STR was suggested for stock, thinking thats a good idea. Also liking the battle link.

Still waiting for the V7 lw stuff to get here, mostly just their lower parts and their Gas Tube.

Oh and gost pointed out their BN looked awful lot like the NSR's… so i got them to send one too lol, just to try
    Last edited by DutyUse; 19 January 2015 at 15:00.