Thread: Bolt Gun Thread

Hybrid View

Downloads
    Uploads
    For the price of the ammo I'm a fan of 7mm Rem mag in bolt guns over .308. But if you don't mind to shell out the money .300 Win mag and .338 Lapua are very cool. I've always wanted a rifle in .50 BMG but will probably never own one. But during the last ammo scare 7mm Rem mag was readily available about every where and doesn't run much more than .308.
    DEUTERONOMY 6:5
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by GOST View Post
    For the price of the ammo I'm a fan of 7mm Rem mag in bolt guns over .308. But if you don't mind to shell out the money .300 Win mag and .338 Lapua are very cool. I've always wanted a rifle in .50 BMG but will probably never own one. But during the last ammo scare 7mm Rem mag was readily available about every where and doesn't run much more than .308.
    I will second the 7mm Remington Magnum as an excellent round for starter rifle. The .284 projectile has one of the highest ballistic coefficients of any round out there and it's extremely flat shooting even out to extended long range. You can easily kill big game at 1000 meters with a 7RM and the recoil is fairly light for a magnum. The platform is also great to re-barrel later on into a .338 edge which is ballistically the same as a .338 lapua more or less, without the need for an oversized magnum action.

A 308 is a great round, but compared to a 7RM its lacking pretty heavily as far as energy is concerned at extended long range. Both are available readily at big box stores, you will have more projectile options in .30 caliber but I have not had any issues finding .284 projectiles over the last few years.

FBI HRT used 7RM for quite some time and may still use it, its an extremely solid round.