Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Bolt Gun Thread

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry R View Post
    Actually, with moly coated bullets, we had zero signs of pressure. Normal extraction, no flat primers, no smudges around the primers. Bore just ahead of the chamber still looks factory fresh. We took 1K each of 75gr 243 and 55gr 223. Worked the close mounds (out to around 400 yards) with the 223 - or until we shot 100 rounds, then swabbed the bore, put it in the cleaning cradle and ran the 243 until either 100 rounds or distance exceeded our abilities. Then we either finished the cleaning and swapped calibers again, or moved the setup to another location.
    Pressure doesn't really burn out barrels, but could be defined as a contributing factor to higher velocities. Pressure is more important to accuracy and preventing catastrophic failure. Heat dude, lots of heat from high velocities is what eats up barrels. I'm with Former11B, and if you keep running them that hot you'll burn those barrels out at <1K rounds.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks guys. I will definitely keep an eye on it. Current round count is 1,860 and a bore scope shows no noticeable throat erosion so far.
    NRA Benefactor Member
    NRA Certified Instructor

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on."
    John Wayne - "The Shootist"

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry R View Post
    Thanks guys. I will definitely keep an eye on it. Current round count is 1,860 and a bore scope shows no noticeable throat erosion so far.
    You're lucky then. Most 6mm run around 3150fps and burn out barrels between 1500-2500.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Last edited by Thompson; 26 August 2015 at 10:03.

Downloads
    Uploads

Downloads
    Uploads
    Our XM2010s were sent back to the factory as part of a recall.

Fun gun to shoot though! definitely beefy.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Wish my pictures were better but here's another one of my .308 in the field while the can is cooling. I need a cover...I like the ones by Just Rifles

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Former11B View Post
    Wish my pictures were better but here's another one of my .308 in the field while the can is cooling. I need a cover...I like the ones by Just Rifles

I own several bolts, but don't normally get very jazzed over them.. That said your's is awesome. Nicely done

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by DutyUse View Post
    I own several bolts, but don't normally get very jazzed over them.. That said your's is awesome. Nicely done
    Thanks. She's a heavy girl...13lbs 3oz loaded and suppressed.

I recently cut the 20" barrel to 16.5" to make it more maneuverable and better balanced with the can. I painted everything using Rustoleum Camo (khaki and earth brown with some forest/drab green) using my tried&true pinestraw method. The suppressor makes it go from a sharp jolt to a soft push with a deep "CHOOMP!"

Since I had the barrel trimmed and re threaded, I was rezeroing it because I also use it for hunting (168gr Nosler Ballistic Tip over 43.6gr RE15) and I wanted to check the zero unsuppressed (setting the knobs to 0/0) and seeing the adjustment needed for any POI shift when adding the can. 6 clicks up and I'm in business

Downloads
    Uploads
    Follow me on Flickr
    Follow me on Instagram
    Follow me on Facebook

Downloads
    Uploads

Downloads
    Uploads
    Remington 700 AAC-SD, McMillan A5 Desert Spectre

.361 MOA - 5 shot group @100 yds. After that, I decided to quit while I was ahead.
    Last edited by DeviantLogic; 30 September 2015 at 07:11.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Ordnance View Post
    ]Snip

What can?

And thanks to you and DSully....my pictures look like polaroids from the 80s.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Dang Ordnance! Didn't realize the toys you have. You're catching up with Sully. :p
    Ground Defense 1, Blade Defense 1, Defensive Pistol 1 & 2, Aliance Shoot House, When Things Go Bad, YSINTG, Carbine 1, DART Medical, NRA Range Safety Officer
    david@damagephotos.com
    Damage Photos on Facebook
    @damage_photos on Instagram
    Use DAMAGE15 to save 15% at Third Pin Threads
    Save 10% "JOINORDIE" http://cmttac.com/

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyzik View Post
    Dang Ordnance! Didn't realize the toys you have. You're catching up with Sully. :p
    I wish those were mine. I'm broke, lol. Hell, my camera is even ancient and ghetto. I'm just able to be around people with really nice equipment, and occasionally abscond with it to take quick photos lol.