Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

.277 WLV Proven in the field (Graphic)

What started out as a fun little project for me has evolved into multi role tool. I decided after building my first 16'' AR-15 in 6.8 SPC II that I knew two things, I really like the .277 projectile and I wanted to build a AR pistol. I'm a hunter above all, so when I look to a new gun purchase or build, hunting is a big influence. So when building the pistol I wanted to not only make it a reliable personal defense weapon but also a fast handling shorty for stalking and moving through the brush, I am fully confident I succeeded on both counts with the .277 Wolverine. With 10.5'' of barrel and just over 7 pounds with a heavy Viper PST and Larue mount loaded out ready, she is a very handy little weapon with excellent penetration and performance. I have taken two deer with it now, the first a doe with broadside pass through over 100yds away and now this morning on something much tougher and harder to kill. I had one shot today and it was not a perfect scenario but with the confidence I have gained in the WLV I was able to pick a shot that while not a prime shot I knew would quickly be a fatal one. 75yds 185lb buck charging in to a series of calls, I placed a 95gr TTSX into a frontal base of the neck shot on the right side that lodged into the left side rib cage. Deer was recovered within 100yds.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Beautiful gun, beautiful deer. Makes me want one out of my pistol. What's the ammo prices like or are you shooting home rolled?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Cool, GaSwamper! Just got word at MDWS forum that (I forget who) a second company now has ammo in a number of bullet weights. I got the rail from the Stickman drawing that they gave me. Just need to get it put together. I'm not going to hunt deer this year, no where to store that much meat, and not enough help to eat it. But I'm very confident in taking a 200 yard shot at a coyote, if I could get lucky enough to get a shot that far away, with a 90 gr. bullet.

Definitely makes me feel like I made the right choice by going with the .277 WLV vs. another 6.8 round. Send me one of them hams, o.k.?
    Last edited by FortTom; 7 November 2014 at 23:32.
    NRA Life Member
    Basket full of Deplorables Life Member

Downloads
    Uploads
    saw it on FB good shoot

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks guys, ammo is being produced now by JB's Fire Arms and Mid-South Munitions. I can't remember pricing right off I think like a $1 a round or something, I'll check and update. I of course roll my own as with most of my guns, love that feeling when I take game with my handloads but I will be purchasing some factory stuff for stock/plinking. I have a CMT upper on the way to build the 18'' from Stick so maybe we can get the wife a deer with the Wolvie as well before the season is out.
    FT, talk about freezer space. Me and dad share game and it takes at least 5 whitetail to take us from season to season!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by GaSwamper View Post
    Thanks guys, ammo is being produced now by JB's Fire Arms and Mid-South Munitions. I can't remember pricing right off I think like a $1 a round or something, I'll check and update. I of course roll my own as with most of my guns, love that feeling when I take game with my handloads but I will be purchasing some factory stuff for stock/plinking. I have a CMT upper on the way to build the 18'' from Stick so maybe we can get the wife a deer with the Wolvie as well before the season is out.
    FT, talk about freezer space. Me and dad share game and it takes at least 5 whitetail to take us from season to season!
    Ha! I wish my lady would hunt. She has a hard time taking a fish off the hook.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mid South:

277 Wolverine 110 gr Hornady BTHP box of 50
    Our Price: $37.50

277 Wolverine 90 Gr. TNT hollow point box of 50
    Our Price: $45.00

JB's:

.277 Wolverine Ammunition. 90 grain Speer TNT Velocity 2700 fps. Box of 50
    $48.55

2 boxes $100.05

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by GaSwamper View Post
    Yes, Mid-South, was who I was trying to think of. 18 to 30 bucks a box for 20 rounds, 30 to $38 for 50, depending on bullet.
    I know how you feel about hand loads. After I started loading my own ammo, around 1976 or somewhere in there, I don't remember, I've only taken two animals with factory ammo. I've definitely got to make a move of some kind, in buying a new condo. I really want to set my reloading bench back up. JB gets 50 bucks a box for all of their ammo. I really want to do some bench work with different bullet weights etc.. to see what happens at what distances, and I'm looking at $200 or so just to try a few different commercially loaded rounds.

Again, congrats on the deer.
    NRA Life Member

Downloads
    Uploads

.277 WLV Proven in the field (Graphic)

Quote Originally Posted by FortTom View Post
    Yes, Mid-South, was who I was trying to think of. 18 to 30 bucks a box for 20 rounds, 30 to $38 for 50, depending on bullet.
    I know how you feel about hand loads. After I started loading my own ammo, around 1976 or somewhere in there, I don't remember, I've only taken two animals with factory ammo. I've definitely got to make a move of some kind, in buying a new condo. I really want to set my reloading bench back up. JB gets 50 bucks a box for all of their ammo. I really want to do some bench work with different bullet weights etc.. to see what happens at what distances, and I'm looking at $200 or so just to try a few different commercially loaded rounds.

Again, congrats on the deer.
    My father and I need to get on the ball and set our bench up. Have a Dillon xl650 in the basement for two years unopened. After Christmas I'm buying a single stage and am gonna make it all happen.

This round really appeals to me, but as with .300blk, I think I just want to roll my own. Too many things I want and not enough money.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by RobSWVA View Post
    Mid South:

277 Wolverine 110 gr Hornady BTHP box of 50
    Our Price: $37.50

277 Wolverine 90 Gr. TNT hollow point box of 50
    Our Price: $45.00
    Yes Rob, good info, but that's only 2 of 8 different bullet style/weights they offer. So experimenting with multiple bullets is going to get pretty expensive.
    I think all of JB's rounds are $50 for 50.

I always want to shoot a lot with a new gun or caliber, whether for tactical, plinking or hunting rounds, so I don't experience any surprises in the field. Shooting $200 at a time could dampen my enthusiasm, at least until I can get up and loading again.
    NRA Life Member

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Ride4frnt View Post
    This round really appeals to me, but as with .300blk, I think I just want to roll my own. Too many things I want and not enough money.
    I hear you. As an aside, when the .300blk was all the rage around here, I don't think people could get their hands on them fast enough. I can tell who reloads and who doesn't. The "dont's" can't sell them fast or cheap enough around here...
    Last edited by FortTom; 7 November 2014 at 23:04.
    NRA Life Member

Downloads
    Uploads
    Great looking 8 pointer! Congrats on a nice harvest

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for posting the info Rob. I noticed Mid-South posted they will also be selling a Merica pack that will be samples of different bullet weights and types, don't know if I've ever saw this done before but I like the idea. FT you've been handloading before I was born, I'm 34. Always been around it though, my dad probly started around that time and always included me even if it were small tasks as a child. I was probly knockin primers out of shot shells at 6.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Nice deer and Nice pistol! Congratulations on your hunt
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.

Jeff Cooper

Downloads
    Uploads
    Good hunt!

Out of curiosity, does Georgia have magazine capacity restrictions for rifles when it comes to hunting?

We are having some trouble with coyote population and deer fawn mortality right now as well as hogs, so I usually load up a 20rd mag just in case it's not deer I bump into but some states don't allow for that.