Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaspipeshooter View Post
    Congrats on winning the tool set up! I've got that same Armorer's Package and it is definitely a quality group of tools and a huge help when building ARs.
    yeah, especially the reaction rod, no worry about putting tourque on your receiver. Plus if you need to rotate the receiver upside down its a breeze.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Rob,

Maybe I missed it, is this your first "build" or first AR?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    Rob,

Maybe I missed it, is this your first "build" or first AR?
    Both actually; have never owned my own.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Nice looking set up so far, especially for a first.
    It's difficult to soar with eagles, when you work with turkeys...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Interesting you would pick 300 BLK for that.

I have 1/2 dozen in 300, and I just don't shoot them all that often or as often as I'd like because the price and availability of ammo.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Interesting you would pick 300 BLK for that.

I have 1/2 dozen in 300, and I just don't shoot them all that often or as often as I'd like because the price and availability of ammo.
    Well, I want to be able to deer hunt with this rifle; was originally leaning to the WLV, but the cost of the barrel and availability and cost of the ammo was gonna really hamper me. When I compared the price of barrel, ammo, etc to the 300 blk, the 300 was cheaper on both barrel and ammo, as well as more readily available. I'm not going to be burning tons of ammo through it; of course I'll go out and burn through a few boxes here and there, but probably not on the level that some of ya'll go through ammo, lol. I plan on working on an addt'l URG for it (5.56 most likely) as well, but wanted to make sure I had my deer hunting covered first.

Downloads
    Uploads
    When you throw hunting into the mix, that makes perfect sense. I would love to shoot more 300, but at a buck a round, it's painful to shoot 500 rounds on a weekend.

And you're right, you can always slap on a 5.56 upper down the road.

Downloads
    Uploads
    If you want cheap, readily available ammo, you could build a 7.62 x 39. Cheap, and 123-124gr. HP ammo capable of killing a deer is out there and very inexpensive, relatively speaking.

Downloads
    Uploads
    If you want cheap, readily available ammo, you could build a 7.62 x 39. Cheap, and 123-124gr. HP ammo capable of killing a deer is out there and very inexpensive, relatively speaking.
    If you go to Ammoseek though you can find .300 Blackout for .51 a round in bulk of around 500 rounds. Ozark Ordinance sells 147 grain FMJ for $254.99 for 500 rounds. Add the shipping to that and it will drive the cost up some, but not by a lot. Probably around $25 more for the UPS shipping.

The 7.62 is certainly cheap, not reloadable, and you really want to use an enhanced firing pin for those Berdan primers. MGI makes a strengthened bolt since that steel cased ammo has been known to break flanges on the bolt face. Just the bolt and firing pin is $125 though. Rob and I chatted about this all. 300 Blackout is a good choice for also using for hunting. I use my Lee Enfield .303 for hunting and that British .303 does cost a little over 1.00 per round.
    Freedom is NEVER Free. We have to work to protect it and even be willing to die to protect it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    true, and that could become a future project idea for the next top to bottom build. I guess once I get to thinking about things and coming up w/ plans, I get kinda bullheaded and set on my idea. It took Will a good bit of talking to convince me of the better choice when comparing price and availability of both the barrel and the ammo for .277 and .300 blk, lol.
    Last edited by RobSWVA; 23 November 2014 at 18:02.

Downloads
    Uploads
    When you throw hunting into the mix, that makes perfect sense. I would love to shoot more 300, but at a buck a round, it's painful to shoot 500 rounds on a weekend.

And you're right, you can always slap on a 5.56 upper down the road.
    ..277 is commercially available now, and like 300 BLK it's a buck a round, so either way you're going to be shooting a lot of money up, if you only shoot 100 rounds at the range. Don't know where you live, but availability might be an issue for you also, if it's a mail order proposition it will get really expensive, fast. So the .277WLV and the .300BLK is a wash, either way you go.

I would give Gaspipes idea, a hard, second thought. Yeah, it's not as "glamorous" shooting surplus commie ammo, but I get a sense that you don't reload, and would start second guessing yourself after you run about 500 bucks of ammo down your gun in one or two settings.

I've commented before that I could tell who reloads and who doesn't. The reloaders couldn't buy 300 uppers fast enough, and non-reloaders couldn't sell them fast or cheap enough.
    Anyway, do what you will, but I'd think it through, especially for a first time owner.

FT
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger
    Filthy Stinking Wal Mart Shopper

Downloads
    Uploads
    Most of the good points have already been made but I'll throw in my perspective. I reload so the WLV makes better since to me for hunting over the 300. Yes the 300 is better for subsonic but that's not my intent when hunting.

However my thought if your not planning on blasting and plan to use as a hunting rifle is to take a look at the 6.8 Yes it uses a different mag and bolt but you can buy commercial ammo for $.60-$.80 / round depending on your taste of poison(bullet) lol. S&B ammo can be had for $12.50 a box if you can get it at the right place at the right time. To me it is a much better round but that's a debate as old as 9mm vs .40 lol.

Just my thought and perspective on things, but as FT said you'll do what you want/original intent regardless of we say in the end. We all do lol...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by RobSWVA View Post
    Well, I want to be able to deer hunt with this rifle; was originally leaning to the WLV, but the cost of the barrel and availability and cost of the ammo was gonna really hamper me. When I compared the price of barrel, ammo, etc to the 300 blk, the 300 was cheaper on both barrel and ammo, as well as more readily available. I'm not going to be burning tons of ammo through it; of course I'll go out and burn through a few boxes here and there, but probably not on the level that some of ya'll go through ammo, lol. I plan on working on an addt'l URG for it (5.56 most likely) as well, but wanted to make sure I had my deer hunting covered first.
    Is .223 illegal for deer where you live?

Downloads
    Uploads
    My deal with the 7.62 x39 is that ammo is available for less than $.25 a round shipped to your door. I don't feel bad at all going to the range and cranking through several mags worth of ammo. We have a range on a state wildlife area not too far from me. $24.00 for an annual pass. Usually when I go to shoot, I take a couple .223/5.56 ARs and the 7.62 x 39 upper. I even let the range guys who work for the state blast through a few mags. They enjoy trying different stuff like the 7.62 x 39. My whole point is, why build a gun if you can't afford to shoot it?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Dstrbdmedic167 View Post
    Most of the good points have already been made but I'll throw in my perspective. I reload so the WLV makes better since to me for hunting over the 300. Yes the 300 is better for subsonic but that's not my intent when hunting.

However my thought if your not planning on blasting and plan to use as a hunting rifle is to take a look at the 6.8 Yes it uses a different mag and bolt but you can buy commercial ammo for $.60-$.80 / round depending on your taste of poison(bullet) lol. S&B ammo can be had for $12.50 a box if you can get it at the right place at the right time. To me it is a much better round but that's a debate as old as 9mm vs .40 lol.

Just my thought and perspective on things, but as FT said you'll do what you want/original intent regardless of we say in the end. We all do lol...
    This wouldn't make sense for him Dstrbdmedic167 for a few reasons. The package he won came with 6 Hexmags. They would be useless for 6.8. As I pointed out earlier, .300 blackout does NOT cost 1.00 a round. It can be had for .51 a round. Then there's the separate bolt issue. Since hunting where he lives is scrub forest his max range is likely to be 75 yards or less. He can build this one up in .300 Blackout then just build another upper in .223 and interchange them both without needing any extra parts - same mags, same BCG. So, this is his most economical solution to be able to use a reasonable hunting caliber - not subsonic ammo (which is more expensive) and still be able to change later on to .223 for other things.

The caliber that has taken more deer in the US than any other is the 30/30. It's not the 'best' hunting caliber, nor is a lever action saddle rifle the best hunting rifle. However it has killed more deer than any other rifle. It's a versatile and flexible rifle for what one may need it for. That's why I've carried one in my scabbard on my saddle.

It's all fine and well to want to build this or that to be the absolute best at something, but economics, terrain and other factors need to be considered also. Some of us can't afford to have a safe full of guns just for the fun of having a safe full of guns. Our guns are useful tools and designed to be flexible and useful - and they do get used.
    Freedom is NEVER Free. We have to work to protect it and even be willing to die to protect it.