Quote Originally Posted by SINNER View Post
You need a little jump to the lands. The single shot semi's and bolt guns with the possibility to touch the lands still run .5mm jumps. I doubt you can get long enough rounds through the magwell, but run your lengths too far and when you eject a unfired round the bullet will stick in the lands. Blowing up fire arms is never fun.
^^^ This...

I don't know where you're getting that you can't take a 77gr reliably to 800. Having a longer bullet doesn't guarantee a better BC or more stability either in a semi because you're limited by pressure allowances and a gas system that bleeds pressure as the projectile is traveling down the barrel. I've personally shot 77 SMK out to 905yd reliably in an 18" barrel. Everyone is also always trying to kiss the lands but I've had several firearms including one of my old 308 Semi's that rather than loading to 2.81 OAL it preferred 2.79 and my groups tightened up another 1/4". Also, even in some bolts you'll discover that off the shelf manufacturers like Remington have deep throats where it's near impossible to reach the lands even if you wanted to.