Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I am running a aero mount and so far thru some various beatings and remounting to a different gun and back to the other, never had to touch the adjustments...Good mount for the price

Downloads
    Uploads
    You should have buis on a gun that may see some sort of "down range action." Specifically because it may get banged up and you may need to rip the optix off and roll. Sure, not exactly high probability but would you wanna be the guy who doesnt do it to a gun they carry around, a truck gun or "home defense" gun and then have it occur? Its not expensive and totally doable.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've only ever had one malfunction with a CCO. After taking a shot, the dot would disappear, I hit the tube with my hand and it came back. Fire again and the dot disappeared. Did this one more times before flipping up the rear iron sight. Upon later inspection, the curly battery spring thing had become loose after prolonged abuse and the recoil caused the circut to break and drop power. Fortunately we were taking contact from about 400 meters so I had some time to troubleshoot and deploy rear sight.

After that I became a big advocate of having backup sights AND making sure they are zero'ed

Downloads
    Uploads
    Offset BUIS > QD mount
    WWW.TACTICALYELLOWVISOR.NET

Downloads
    Uploads
    I had an older Aimpoint ML2 or 3 that compressed the battery terminals Eotech-style. Optic would shut-off under recoil. I discovered this at a "run whatcha brung" range day, and completed the drills with no BUIS and using only the tube. Had all -0 hits out to 25+ yards.

Still, I put fixed BUIS on the SHTFantasy gun after that. Mostly because I wouldn't want to get the gun to the range again and discover that I couldn't make longer hits. I proved to myself that for my SHTFantasy indoor gun that BUIS we unnecessary.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by mustangfreek View Post
    I cant really tell ya which way to go, as im in the same boat, and myself want to try a micro for my pistol.

Anyways, a cheap "on sale " option is this bushnell AR 1-4 scope, i happened to look thru one at cabelas and it had decent glass, and the reticle was decent for a shooter.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index...e-ar91424.html

Or even a little better deal if you buy a mount with it, it has the burris QD mount with the same scope for $189 and a $20 rebate...just something for you to ponder..id say if you had somewhere local you could go look thru the glass first, so you know what your getting

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index...r-mount-2.html
    Now down to $129 with rebate!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Facebook - Marty Callan

Downloads
    Uploads
    A bit shocked that it was suggested not to run BUIS if you run a scope......that somehow glass negates irons??? I guess different strokes for different folks.

Mississippi.- Last in everything but freedom.
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I think it gets a little silly with irons being something everyone HAS to have. I personally run them, and I would run offsets with a scope, but I don't think they're something you have to have. I can't tell you how much abuse I've put my shit through and how many times I have NOT injured my optic... Do you have a backup bolt on your rifle at all times? They break. I've broken more bolts than I have scopes... That's for sure.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    Veteran Combat Medic

Experience is what you get... When you don't get what you want.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by tact View Post
    A bit shocked that it was suggested not to run BUIS if you run a scope......that somehow glass negates irons??? I guess different strokes for different folks.
    Well a couple of thoughts about that.

I think it depends on the setup. If this is a range toy, then no, I'm probably not going to put money into backup sights as the worst thing that could happen is... my range day gets cut short. If you want to have them, I don't see an issue obviously.

If I have a non-QD mount, then I think backups are pretty useless as well.

Duty Gun, guys deployed in the sandbox, yeah, I'd put backup sights on... even if it is the for minuscule chance the glass on the optic breaks.

We aren't allowed magnified optics on our department guns, but must have backup sights with red dots/holosights because we have all been there when the batteries die, and in a pinch, having those backup sights are a must.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    Well a couple of thoughts about that.

I think it depends on the setup. If this is a range toy, then no, I'm probably not going to put money into backup sights as the worst thing that could happen is... my range day gets cut short. If you want to have them, I don't see an issue obviously.

If I have a non-QD mount, then I think backups are pretty useless as well.

Duty Gun, guys deployed in the sandbox, yeah, I'd put backup sights on... even if it is the for minuscule chance the glass on the optic breaks.

We aren't allowed magnified optics on our department guns, but must have backup sights with red dots/holosights because we have all been there when the batteries die, and in a pinch, having those backup sights are a must.
    Along those same lines, it would also depend on how many rifles you have, as to whether or not it's a range toy or dual purpose. They guy with one, maybe two rifles, depending on his current optic set-up, if any, may very well want BUIS's, as his weapons may have to serve dual purposes, such as plinking, and also be ready for defensive use, if the need did ever arise.

I've pared my rifles down to six AR's and 1 AR-10, and they all wear BUIS. Will I ever need them? Probably not, but they're there if some calamity, such as a collapse of our economy, or asteroid, or what ever apocalypse I can dream up, happened. Also have an upper or two, both primarily for varmint hunting. No need for them there, unless a calamity happens just before dispatching a coyote.

On the other hand, if you have two or three safes full of AR's, and a dozen extra uppers, no, it probably wouldn't pay to buy BUIS's for them all. A lot of folks I know can only have one AR, for whatever reason, and in that case, if they use an optical sight, I'd definitely recommend BUIS's.
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger
    Filthy Stinking Wal Mart Shopper

Downloads
    Uploads
    The necessity of BUIS on a magnified optic, or for that matter any optic that has a reticule that is not 100% battery dependent, is lesser than with something like an Aimpoint or Eotech wherein the reticule completely vanishes when the battery dies. Doubly so in the case of the latter which (a) has far shorter battery life and (b) not being a tube makes index shooting more difficult.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Threw it on. Headed to the range some time this week.

Grunge by Pyzik, on Flickr
    Ground Defense 1, Blade Defense 1, Defensive Pistol 1 & 2, Aliance Shoot House, When Things Go Bad, YSINTG, Carbine 1, DART Medical, NRA Range Safety Officer
    david@damagephotos.com
    Damage Photos on Facebook
    @damage_photos on Instagram
    Use DAMAGE15 to save 15% at Third Pin Threads
    Save 10% "JOINORDIE" http://cmttac.com/

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyzik View Post
    Threw it on. Headed to the range some time this week.

Grunge by Pyzik, on Flickr
    Mighty nice there! Looking good!

What do you think of the reticle when you look through the scope?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    Mighty nice there! Looking good!

What do you think of the reticle when you look through the scope?
    From just playing with it, I like it. I don't see the reticle itself to be an issue for me.
    I'll say though that the only other scopes I have experience with is a Tasco 3-9x on my .22 and a (Bushnell?) 4-12x, both with traditional crosshairs.

The scope is not a true 1x (closer to 1.1-1.2x maybe) and (to me) it's heavy.

Look forward to getting to the range to try it out.
    Ground Defense 1, Blade Defense 1, Defensive Pistol 1 & 2, Aliance Shoot House, When Things Go Bad, YSINTG, Carbine 1, DART Medical, NRA Range Safety Officer
    david@damagephotos.com
    Damage Photos on Facebook
    @damage_photos on Instagram
    Use DAMAGE15 to save 15% at Third Pin Threads
    Save 10% "JOINORDIE" http://cmttac.com/

Downloads
    Uploads
    Sold my VCOG and bought a T2/G33. Very pleased with the upgrade. Just my .02.