I'm late to the party and I don't have time to read all 3 pages, but IMO... The reason people started squaring up has to do with body armor. Body armor is designed to best stop penetration from direct hits and not glancing blows which can still result in injury. Plus with body armor most of your protective surface area is in the front and back not the sides which is minimal with cummerbunds. From an EMT's perspective standing squarely is actually NOT going to reduce organ injury but more likely to further it if you're not wearing body armor since penetration would be deeper and you expose ALL the organs instead of just a few. If you're not wearing armor then standing at a sideways stance will lessen the amount of available surface as a target, and the bullet would have to penetrate through the arm tissue and bone before entering the chest or abdominal cavity. Everything else IMO should be whatever helps the shooter perform the best. If it was already said then I apologize but my time is limited...