Quote Originally Posted by Computalotapus View Post
I have gotten lucky with both my builds. The UCWRG rifle was built for my wife and she shoots from the bench. Only thing that has changed on that rifle is now that she is starting to shoot further out she replaced the RDS for a magnified optid. My NTD build that I did for 2-Gun events. I am very pleased with the way it turned out and have no plans to change out or add anything to this rifle. I did a ton of research and reading to find what I was looking for. Between UWone77 and rob_s I probably got some of the best advice. Now granted I didn't listen to rob_s when he said "buy a colt" because I was dead set on building but, I did listen to the message of "buy a colt" and that message is keep it simple. Identify your NEEDS.
I had a very similar experience. I agree. Once you take the time to really define your needs and tendencies and what you are really interested in these choices become a whole lot easier or at least the list becomes shorter.

I too got great advice here. UW is the one that turned me onto my barrel (RA Select Medcon) and I couldn't be more over joyed with the thing.

DTR!!!! Define the Rifle!!!

Better yet define what YOU LIKE TO DO.

For me I like accuracy the whole thing interests me. It doesn't eliminate my interests in other things by ANY means but reloading and trying to hit dimes at 100 yards is enjoyable to me. Other people hate that stuff to no end. Nobody is right and nobody is wrong. If you want to hit dimes at 100 yards... start looking stainless. If you hate that stuff and want to hit steel targets and will shoot 500 rounds a day then go with something else.

After I got my first one done now I want to build like 4 or 5 rifles... all with different purposes to them. UW is a bucket-o-knowledge but even he doesn't know what kind of shooting you like to do. Of all his talents I am sure ESP isn't on the list. LOL

A friend of mine has a 14.5 pinned barrel with a slide fire on it. If you put a stainless barrel on that gun it would be just stupid. For me, I might go out in the back yard 2 or 3 times a week and shoot 2 or 3 mags at a time on a regular basis. Those are two totally different things.

There is certainly no lack of choices of good barrels but many people just don't think through what they want or like all the way. Sometimes people end up with a half baked rifle by not thinking through what YOU PERSONALLY like to do.