Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Need some help with barrel choice.

So I'm on my third build. I have one shtf type build that's all long lasting parts little maintenance flash light so on. Then I have a "fancy" for lack of a better word build. It has a shrouded kx5 on a 13.7" barrel with high end everything honestly don't shoot it to often lol.

Anyway to my point. I got a free lower so I had to start another build of corse! I want to use this for my anytime someone calls me grab it and go rifle. I also want to use this to start practicing drills.

I've been looking at the northtech barrel 14.5" mid length but I'm not sure I really need it. I know they are made for great accuracy but are they made to shoot a lot also? Because I plan to use this fire arm a lot. If anyone could give me a little more info that would be greatly appreciated thanks.

Downloads
    Uploads
    When you say shoot "a lot" how much shooting do you estimate doing per month?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Forgive me for asking, but what has you leaning towards a stainless barrel for running drills?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat View Post
    Forgive me for asking, but what has you leaning towards a stainless barrel for running drills?
    Nothing. That's kind of my point as I'm not sure what benefits it would have for me. I can read all day about the barrel but there isn't to much feed back on longevity or durability that I could find. I'm no competitive shooter or anything I just like getting out and having fun. I like to challenge myself is why I want to start doing drills. Also it's more physical.

Downloads
    Uploads
    A quality Chrome Lined CHF or button rifled barrel will suit your needs. 20k+ rounds easily. Look at the BCM Filthy 14 rifle, that gun is still running after what? 40k rounds on a Chrome Lined Button rifled BCM Barrel?

I like Rainier Mountain Series barrels as they are less than their double chrome lined CHF counterparts right now. A number of other choices out there as well. If you plan to just shoot drills, I would not go stainless.

Downloads
    Uploads
    UW hit it on the head! RA Mountain series is the way to go for a "training" rifle. of course BCM, DD or other well known names we've all mentioned in other threads would be GTG!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    A quality Chrome Lined CHF or button rifled barrel will suit your needs. 20k+ rounds easily. Look at the BCM Filthy 14 rifle, that gun is still running after what? 40k rounds on a Chrome Lined Button rifled BCM Barrel?

I like Rainier Mountain Series barrels as they are less than their double chrome lined CHF counterparts right now. A number of other choices out there as well. If you plan to just shoot drills, I would not go stainless.
    Brilliant thank you I will do some research on these. I saw stickman had a sale code for the mountain series. Are any of these mid length gas system do you know off hand?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by LMMzach View Post
    Brilliant thank you I will do some research on these. I saw stickman had a sale code for the mountain series. Are any of these mid length gas system do you know off hand?
    Looking on their site the 16's are the 14.5'' is carbine

http://www.rainierarms.com/catalogse...p=2&q=mountain

Downloads
    Uploads
    The 14.5's are all carbine, the 16 and 18's are all Mid length.

Downloads
    Uploads

Need some help with barrel choice.

Just received my 16" midweight middy from RA via the stickman promotion. For 285 shipped it's a steal.

If ROG hadn't lured me into 2 noveske barrels right before the RA promo I would have stocked up on em.

Edit: this thread needs photos :)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by DutyUse View Post
    Just received my 16" midweight middy from RA via the stickman promotion. For 285 shipped it's a steal.

If ROG hadn't lured me into 2 noveske barrels right before the RA promo I would have stocked up on em.

Edit: this thread needs photos :)

Nice! I just sold my rail and I'm real close to having my barrel money. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Facebook - Marty Callan

Downloads
    Uploads
    Looks pretty accurate - http://youtu.be/WkRKTwwvvJM

Facebook - Marty Callan

Downloads
    Uploads
    The RA Mountain Series should be a great option for a heavy use shooter, but I'd personally go with a QPQ/nitride barrel. Take a look at Voodoo Innovations, AR Performance and Ballistic Advantage's melonite barrels. BA's Hanson barrels come with the LPGB pinned and they used to have a $10 pinning service but I don't see that offered on their new website. It looks like my next barrel purchase will be an ARP barrel but that will be for a 6.8 build.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by BoilerUp View Post
    The RA Mountain Series should be a great option for a heavy use shooter, but I'd personally go with a QPQ/nitride barrel. Take a look at Voodoo Innovations, AR Performance and Ballistic Advantage's melonite barrels. BA's Hanson barrels come with the LPGB pinned and they used to have a $10 pinning service but I don't see that offered on their new website. It looks like my next barrel purchase will be an ARP barrel but that will be for a 6.8 build.
    For those interested in the BA Hanson, Weapons Outfitters has them for $205. I think with the low pro row gas block. "So many barrels, so little time..."

Facebook - Marty Callan

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Txfilmmaker View Post
    Looks pretty accurate - http://youtu.be/WkRKTwwvvJM

Sub MOA from a CHL barrel with bulk ammo?

Facebook - Marty Callan