Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by GOST View Post
    An adjustable gas block is highly recommended.
    I will cross that bridge when I get to it. But thanks for the information. When my suppressor goes to suppressor jail I will get an adjustable block while I am waiting.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Thompson View Post
    I like to over analyze things too (better that than to under analyze ). If I remember correctly, Tim (MAC) did a video a while back on Everything About Suppressors. I believe at one point he mentioned that one of the down sides to direct thread is, that over the course of shooting, the can starts to back out; in essence after "x" shots, one would have to retighten the can.
    Maybe if you don't tighten it enough to begin with...

I have a direct thread 5.56 can. For my own piece of mind, in case any heating/cooling would affect anything, I put a couple rotations of teflon tape on my threads (really popular modification) and I've done mag dumps and hard shooting with zero issues. Alamo, aside from barrel cleaning, I leave the can on the rifle. Very rarely I'll put it on a different rifle but it stays put. The risk of messing something up is very very low. Direct thread cans are usually lighter (most simple, no extra parts, etc) and more precise (given the OE barrel threads are good to go).

I will say I am not a fan of AAC rifle cans. I feel like the market (SilencerCo, Griffin, SF, etc) are innovating and improving their cans, but AAC gets bought by freedom group and puts out the same 51T mount with heavier and cheaper versions of existing models. I can't wrap my head around it. But that's all I'll say publicly. If anyone wants a conversation about it please PM me.

I will echo the adjustable gas block sentiment, although my option isn't good for guys with matching uppers/lowers: Innovative Arms WAR receiver. It has been amazing. I can do a write up if anyone wants to read it.

People do things like heavier buffers/altered carrier masses, etc, but tune the gas and it's not necessary.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have no problems with AAC cans. The 51T Mount to me, has been a proven design vs. some of the problems reported out there. For the most part, a 32-34db reduction all sounds the same to me.

Having said that, you're right, if you want cutting edge, AAC is not the place to go. As you said Silencerco, Griffin are continuously improving their designs. I will say, after 3 Surefire cans, those are some of the most overrated cans I've ever owned. Anyhow, as long as AAC continues to sell me cans at cut throat prices, they're good enough for me.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I agree 100% on SF. Way overpriced (buying the brand name) and some ugly welds and borrowed guts. There are also some smarmy politics involved somewhere along the chain. Ops, Inc in California sold cans to the military for years for the Mk12 Mod 0&1 platforms and all of a sudden they are being forced out of production due to CA laws. They reopened in Nevada as Allen Engineering but SF is still behind enemy lines somehow.

More power to them but I don't see how companies like Parallax Tactical can afford to stay

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Former11B View Post
    More power to them but I don't see how companies like Parallax Tactical can afford to stay
    Everytime I visited Parallax Tactical, they were always busy, even on an early weekday afternoon. And that was before they opened up their workshop next door. Aside from the unfathomable business expenses when having to deal with CA, I imagine they afford to stay because they're one of the go-to AR and pistol shops in San Diego, and there's only about 3 or 4 to choose from.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I had an unexpected thing come up today (I had to work late with no notice) so I couldn't call, but when I got home I sent an email to the Silencer Shop. I inquired specifically about the Recce 5. Based on their advertised price, sales tax, tax stamp etc etc I figured I could get it in hand for under $900 all inclusive. Once I know REALLY what I am getting into all this for I can do the trust and be done with it.

I asked them several questions in my email so hopefully I didn't leave anything out when I calculated the price. If I buy online from another state I still have to go through a class III FFL and that will add between $75 to $100 bucks. If I buy at the Silencer Shop I pay state sales tax which would equate to a little over $50 bucks. If they don't charge me any additional FFL transfer fees it's cheaper to buy from them. They also sound very professional on their website. Plus I don't like dealing with assholes and as I called around on my break I got a few of them on the phone as I asked about class 3 transfers and stuff.

They are about 2 hours away or so and in Texas terms that's pretty close. I regularly drive an hour each way to go out to eat.

If my calculations are correct, including the trust, I would have a suppressor for under $1000 all inclusive of everything. I am pretty sure they will help me fill out the forms and stuff but I will talk to them directly to see what they say and if they pass my asshole test. So far though they seem to be passing with flying colors so I don't think it will be an issue.

Now as for the suppressor its self I don't know jack schitt about what I am doing. It's something I don't have any experience with so I am taking all advice seriously. If that's the one I decide I want I could have it in hand as soon as they get done with the form 4 or whatever other government bullshit they have to fill out. At some point I just have to make a little leap of faith.

I don't know how long a suppressor lasts so I am hoping to get some feed back there. I am not a heavy shooter and I normally don't engage in tons of rapid fire and all that. Yes I do, but not all the time. I doubt very seriously I will put the suppressor under any real strain on a regular basis.

On the Recce 5 I kind of like the idea of the tapered mount. To me it seems pretty solid, but then again what do I know. I probably won't be taking it on and off all the time but if I want to shoot unsuppressed for whatever reason they have a pretty cool compensator that I think is compatable as well. Plus they give you some kind of mount with the purchase so that's pretty cool.

http://www.griffinarmament.com/Taper...omp-p/tmfc.htm

If I need to spend an extra $200 to not get a piece of junk I would rather do that. I am not THAT price sensitive. I am looking at it as more of a longer term investment. I would rather err on the side of a quality piece while still not getting ripped off.

More or less I think the way that the suppressor mounts is good and based off of youtube and other stuff I've read the suppression is really good with that one too. Basically though I am buying something for $1000 bucks sight unseen based off of youtube and some online reviews...it makes me kind of nervous a little bit but in the back of my mind I think I will be ok.

Another question I have is say I need some manufacturer warranty work or something. Can I just mail the thing back and have them fix it or do I have to go through some big long drawn out process with forms and stuff?

Like I said though, at some point I just have to kind of take the leap of faith and go with it hoping that I make a wise choice.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by gatordev View Post
    Everytime I visited Parallax Tactical, they were always busy, even on an early weekday afternoon. And that was before they opened up their workshop next door. Aside from the unfathomable business expenses when having to deal with CA, I imagine they afford to stay because they're one of the go-to AR and pistol shops in San Diego, and there's only about 3 or 4 to choose from.
    I cant imagine all the red tape they deal with from a government standpoint. That's really what I should have emphasized. I didn't mean to imply they might not have enough business to STAY in business...their rail I have is sweet.

I have a shooting buddy who moved here from Sunny Diego a couple years back. Shoots 30rd mags when benchrest shooting when a 20 would be more comfortable just on principle now that he's free

Downloads
    Uploads
    And as for adjustable gas blocks are there any recommendations?

I have an SLR rifleworks rail and I like them as a company. They've been good to me.

They also make adjustable gas blocks....

http://slrrifleworks.com/index.php?r...tegory&path=57

I am not sure what is a good one and what isn't.... but all I know is my rail is pretty slim so anything I get will have to fit underneath it and hopefully I won't have to take the rail off to adjust it.

Any suggestions? Comments?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Another question while it's on my mind... I saw a BCG that is supposedly built for suppression. I don't know if that's just a gimmick or something to look into.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    I had an unexpected thing come up today (I had to work late with no notice) so I couldn't call, but when I got home I sent an email to the Silencer Shop. I inquired specifically about the Recce 5. Based on their advertised price, sales tax, tax stamp etc etc I figured I could get it in hand for under $900 all inclusive. Once I know REALLY what I am getting into all this for I can do the trust and be done with it.

I asked them several questions in my email so hopefully I didn't leave anything out when I calculated the price. If I buy online from another state I still have to go through a class III FFL and that will add between $75 to $100 bucks. If I buy at the Silencer Shop I pay state sales tax which would equate to a little over $50 bucks. If they don't charge me any additional FFL transfer fees it's cheaper to buy from them. They also sound very professional on their website. Plus I don't like dealing with assholes and as I called around on my break I got a few of them on the phone as I asked about class 3 transfers and stuff.

They are about 2 hours away or so and in Texas terms that's pretty close. I regularly drive an hour each way to go out to eat.

If my calculations are correct, including the trust, I would have a suppressor for under $1000 all inclusive of everything. I am pretty sure they will help me fill out the forms and stuff but I will talk to them directly to see what they say and if they pass my asshole test. So far though they seem to be passing with flying colors so I don't think it will be an issue.

Now as for the suppressor its self I don't know jack schitt about what I am doing. It's something I don't have any experience with so I am taking all advice seriously. If that's the one I decide I want I could have it in hand as soon as they get done with the form 4 or whatever other government bullshit they have to fill out. At some point I just have to make a little leap of faith.

I don't know how long a suppressor lasts so I am hoping to get some feed back there. I am not a heavy shooter and I normally don't engage in tons of rapid fire and all that. Yes I do, but not all the time. I doubt very seriously I will put the suppressor under any real strain on a regular basis.

On the Recce 5 I kind of like the idea of the tapered mount. To me it seems pretty solid, but then again what do I know. I probably won't be taking it on and off all the time but if I want to shoot unsuppressed for whatever reason they have a pretty cool compensator that I think is compatable as well. Plus they give you some kind of mount with the purchase so that's pretty cool.

http://www.griffinarmament.com/Taper...omp-p/tmfc.htm

If I need to spend an extra $200 to not get a piece of junk I would rather do that. I am not THAT price sensitive. I am looking at it as more of a longer term investment. I would rather err on the side of a quality piece while still not getting ripped off.

More or less I think the way that the suppressor mounts is good and based off of youtube and other stuff I've read the suppression is really good with that one too. Basically though I am buying something for $1000 bucks sight unseen based off of youtube and some online reviews...it makes me kind of nervous a little bit but in the back of my mind I think I will be ok.

Another question I have is say I need some manufacturer warranty work or something. Can I just mail the thing back and have them fix it or do I have to go through some big long drawn out process with forms and stuff?

Like I said though, at some point I just have to kind of take the leap of faith and go with it hoping that I make a wise choice.
    Since you're only two hours from SS, do they do demos? Can you set up a time with someone to fondle and maybe shoot some? How about another local dealer allowing the same?

Good, quality built suppressors last indefinitely. They last numerous barrel lifetimes and then some, unless you are shooting bad ammo or do something stupid (like fail to attach it all the way, for example) and shoot it off the end of the rifle. Some people don't test reload stability before shooting through a can (I test stability at 2", 6", 3 feet, 25yds) to make sure the bullet is not wobbling just outside the muzzle where it would be inside the can. Shooting lead .22 through a sealed rifle can is a good way to fill it with lead and increase the weight and decrease the useful life. Don't shoot .22 through a sealed rifle can and don't buy a serviceable rifle can. They are nowhere near as strong. Shooting on short barrels without a BRAKE mount acting as a sacrificial blast baffle will erode and flame cut the baffles and even the end cap. Stick to what the manufacturer says with barrel length.

If you need warranty repairs contact the manufacturer and theyll tell you how to ship but nothing special is needed (except insurance!!!!).

Transporting your can across state lines is OK with no ATF approval needed like SBRs (assuming you're going to an NFA legal state). DO NOT LAMINATE AN APPROVED FORM 4!!! I read about a guy doing that to a machine gun form 4, the ATF couldn't find their copy and needed his to verify, but they couldn't authenticate the stamp under the laminate without destroying it so the guy had to surrender the gun. Could be NFA wives tales but knowing the ATF...no. I make photo copies of my forms front and back and shrink them 50% and laminate the copies for range bag proof in case someone challenges it but Ive never had an issue.

What did I miss?

Edit: gas blocks: MicroMOA is another good brand. I don't know about the Gemtax adjustable BCG but...not sure if I'm gonna party with Gemtech. I would like to redirect the gas before it gets to the BCG...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Since you're only two hours from SS, do they do demos? Can you set up a time with someone to fondle and maybe shoot some? How about another local dealer allowing the same?
    I looked around Houston and there are no Griffin dealers around here that I know of or could find. It's Austin or nothing. Which Austin is a pretty fun place. I have no idea if they do demos or not. I gave them my contact information and when they call or I get to call them I will ask them.

Truth be told I would kind of like to see all these things in person side by side and see how they mount and whatever other stuff I can see.

I have handled a number of suppressors at gun shows around Houston but not Griffin. And they also didn't have it set up to where I could put it on or take it off to see just how solid it is. It was just someone handing me a tube for inspection... which was only marginally useful.

If the thing can last for a decade then I really don't mind spending the money. I will get a lot of use out of it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I cant imagine all the red tape they deal with from a government standpoint. That's really what I should have emphasized. I didn't mean to imply they might not have enough business to STAY in business...their rail I have is sweet.
    I gotcha. CA excels in administrative burden.

I have a shooting buddy who moved here from Sunny Diego a couple years back. Shoots 30rd mags when benchrest shooting when a 20 would be more comfortable just on principle now that he's free
    I always found it amusing once I learned one of CA's dirty little secrets... possession of 30 round mags (or rounds > 10) aren't actually illegal. And they're absolutely everywhere. Until last year when a law was signed that prohibited sending in "repair kits," people would order 30 round mags from out of state all the time. It was like everyone understood and just winked and nodded. Now depending on how a rifle was configured, you might not be able to legally use that 30 round mag, but there were legal ways around that, as well. And depending on where you shot, it's often ignored anyway.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    And as for adjustable gas blocks are there any recommendations?

I have an SLR rifleworks rail and I like them as a company. They've been good to me.

They also make adjustable gas blocks....

http://slrrifleworks.com/index.php?r...tegory&path=57

I am not sure what is a good one and what isn't.... but all I know is my rail is pretty slim so anything I get will have to fit underneath it and hopefully I won't have to take the rail off to adjust it.

Any suggestions? Comments?
    I run SLR adj blocks, and love them. The single tool adjustment is awesome, and Todd has been a joy to work with. I had an older designed block that locked up on me - I rounded out the adjustment screw trying to change it after shooting a ton of suppressed 300BLK. Which, was my fault as I didn't regularly adjust the screw, like when I cleaned the gun. I wrote him, asked how/what to do,and he sent me a brand new block in the new design (Sentry) It has a plate that you can remove to lube/clean the metering rod/cam/pin/whatever in case you do what I did. I tried it out, and it worked great. Definitely not the cheapest block out there, but I like them enough that they are on every rifle I put together - even the .458Socom I am working on right now. Not to mention his service is awesome - I feel that he could have very easily told me it was user error (it was) and not done anything, but he chose to send me a replacement, with a design upgrade. Now that Syrac has a single tool adjustable, that would warrant a look as well - but me, I'm a SLR fan.
    -----------------------------------------------
    Jim
    "You can never have too many guns" - my wife's actual comment
    Alaska Fun

Downloads
    Uploads
    Ok. I talked to the folks at the silencer shop in Austin. First off the guy said "it was easily the quietest one we've ever tested" which made me go "cool"...

He also said the mount is very solid.

All I have to do is send them $900 and a copy of the trust and then wait.

My work seems to be cut out for me.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Step 1.

Trust created.

Check.

Should be here in a day or two ready to be notarized.

Edit: Coyote is fast as hell. I had it back within an hour of submission.

Trust is now ready to be signed and notarized.
    Last edited by alamo5000; 26 March 2015 at 16:29.