Downloads
    Uploads

ACR - What's wrong with it?

For some reason I want one but it seems like most people hate them. Why? Watched MAC's video and he seems to like it and chose it over a SCAR. Fwiw, I just want something new and different.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I think the main reason people don't like it is the name "bushmaster" development (Magpul Masada) it boasted the versatility of a carbine that could switch calibers in minutes (5.56 to7.62×39 etc.) so it would adapt to different threats/environments... it's been what, 4...5 years and I think it has only 5.56 and maybe 6.5 Grendel options? Don't quote me. Had it been Remington version I was all about it.

Basically a manufacturer people were not thrilled with or about took it over, failed at marketing and output of boasted options and it was all at a huge premium price where for a little more the battle proven SCAR could be had.

I was into it when I heard about it, then it dwindled, there were the normal "new release" bugs but I didnt care to wait. Especially with BM making it. It led me to LWRC, then Cuomo put the kabash on that. But that's another rant....

Downloads
    Uploads
    Personally, I'm still interested in the ACR. I'd love to get a 10.5 version. I think Bushmaster dropped the ball on this and thus it's never reached its full potential. There's also virtually no aftermarket parts and accessories for this thing because of the lack interest. It's not a bad gun at all IMHO.

Other than the obvious marketing issues, where they lost the market is price. What is it $2500? That's crazy money for a rifle like this. It needed to be an MSRP of $1800, with a street price of closer to $1500.

Because of the lack of aftermarket accessories, most people will want the Enhanced version, which has bulky rail system that's too short for the platform.

I may still get one. I think it has a lot of potential.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Good points so far. I almost grabbed a SCAR but don't like the reciprocating CH and sheesh are parts expensive. I'm still leaning toward the ACR though.

Downloads
    Uploads
    if you go true youtube theirs a company making barrels for it in 5.45

found it
    https://youtu.be/RwVn3bQZ5HU
    ACR 7 62 X39 converation kit
    https://youtu.be/B3aSVjHoQWM
    Last edited by toolboxluis00200; 22 April 2015 at 15:33.
    $300 and 10 Pastrami Sandwiches and a case of Diet Coke. ( UWone77)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Personally, I'd pick up a Sig 551, 56 or the new MCX before I spent money on the ACR. But that's just me.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    Personally, I'm still interested in the ACR. I'd love to get a 10.5 version. I think Bushmaster dropped the ball on this and thus it's never reached its full potential. There's also virtually no aftermarket parts and accessories for this thing because of the lack interest. It's not a bad gun at all IMHO.

Other than the obvious marketing issues, where they lost the market is price. What is it $2500? That's crazy money for a rifle like this. It needed to be an MSRP of $1800, with a street price of closer to $1500.

Because of the lack of aftermarket accessories, most people will want the Enhanced version, which has bulky rail system that's too short for the platform.

I may still get one. I think it has a lot of potential.
    Exactly on point. Wanted one so badly when I saw it on future weapons. But after researching, lack of aftermarket parts, barrels, pricing, I just ended up getting an AR. If price dropped more and had more options/aftermarket parts I might consider it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads
    The ACR is a fine firearm and I also prefer it to the Scar, however factory support has sucked. Fortunately the aftermarket from DIY-ers has shown what the platform is capable of. Www.acrforum.com is an excellent resource.

Another issue is that many thought the price would be close to $1500, but it came in much more than that. You can find them for under $2k easily and used they go close to $1500.

Also the bad press from Travis Haley didn't help. He was quoted in an interview right after the Magpul divorce essentially saying the ACR was crap. Many feel that the 'faults' he mentioned was part of the bad breakup. Pmags, the ACR, and even the ms2 sling which he pushed so hard became junk overnight according to Haley's opinion.

I have owned a few ACR's and I never ran into any issues, they were accurate, reliable, and their gas system is balanced so well for both suppressed and non suppressed use. It is one of the smoothest shooting firearms on the market. If you want One just do it, it really is a great platform.
    FFL 07/ NFA 02
    TWN Certified Hydro Dipper

Downloads
    Uploads
    ACR's failed because they are poorly made inaccurate bricks. 9 lb. 2-3 MOA guns for 2k is a recipe for failure. Add in a horrible "quick change" barrel system with that built in wrench garbage that couldn't repeat zero even reinstalling the same barrel. Bushmaster's broken promises of alternate handguards and barrels was just more salt in the wounds of people who got suckered in to their half truths. Comparing a ACR to a SCAR 16S is like comparing a Hi point to a Glock. They did get the stock correct but then mould in the pistol grip to the lower so even that can not be changed. It takes a special kind of stupid to screw up a platform with so much potential but Bushmaster managed to pull it off.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Just saw Buds has these for just over $1500. Hmm
    Last edited by six8; 24 April 2015 at 12:10.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Welp, I've moved on. I ordered a Tavor.