Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Review of Swarovski Z6i 1x6-24 Rifle Scope with Circle Dot

INTRO:
    I ordered this scope because I had been looking for a 0-600 yard scope for man-sized targets. This is the first and currently the only 1x6 scope on the market.

SPECIFICATIONS:
    Price: $2, 050.00. (LE pricing significantly lower.).
    Magnification: 1x-6x.
    Reticle Position: Second Focal Plane (SFP).
    Weight: 16.2oz.
    Length: 11.25".
    Eye Relief: 3.74".
    Field of View @ 100yds: 127.5'-20.4'.
    Exit Pupil: 9.6mm-4mm.
    Center Dot @ 100yds on 1x: 8.89MOA.
    Center Dot @ 100yds on 6x: 1.48MOA.
    Outer Ghost Ring @ 100yds on 1x: 113.8MOA.
    Outer Ghost Ring @ 100yds on 6x: 18.79MOA.
    Butler Creek Covers:
    Eye: #20.
    Objective: #02A.

INITIAL THOUGHTS:
    When I first pulled it out of the box and picked it up, I thought it was just the right length and weight for a 1x6 scope (For comparison, it is almost identical in length and weight to a Leupold 2.5-8x36 Mark 4 MR/T 30mm Riflescope.). It is actually pretty light, compared to other 1x4 scopes. The glass on this scope is top notch.

ILLUMINATION:
    One of the reasons I bought this scope was due to the fact that the illumination was daytime visible. I turned on the illumination and went outside and confirmed that it was indeed daytime visible. Both the center dot and outer ghost ring illuminate and it is very similar to the EOTech and Leupold CQ/T Circle dot reticle. The illumination is bright enough to be seen in the daytime most of the time, but there have been times when the illumintation was not strong enough to be seen, such as days really bright days or when there is snow on the ground.

The nice part of the illumination system is the way it was designed. There is switch that has the Night/Off/Day positions on it. So to turn it on, just flip the switch to the right and it comes on with the last brightness setting it was on when you turned it off. To adjust the brightness, just press the +/- signs on op of the illumination control. It has a 3 hour shut-off when used in the Day position and a 5 hour shut-off when used in the Night position. And there is also a low battery indicator built in.

MAGNIFICATION:
    I initially thought this scope was not a true 1x scope, but I adjusted the diopeter and it is indeed a true 1x scope. This is the first and currently, the only 1x6 scope on the market and it is a great scope for 0-600 yard shooting at man-sized targets.

RETICLE:
    The reticle is the Illuminated Circle Dot, which is located on the Second Focal Plane (SFP). What that means is that the reticle stays the same at any magnification. If you noticed on the specifications above, the center dot is a 1.48MOA dot on 6x and 8.89MOA dot on 1x @100 yards. If for some reason the illumination does not work, the reticle is very much usable without the illumination on. I honestly think that this is one of the things that could have been improved with a non-caliber specific circle-dot type reticle in the FFP, especially if this was intended as a true Tactical Scope.

TURRETS:
    This in my opinion, is the only major negative about this cope. Each click is .15Mil @100 meters (.54" @100 yards.). The bad part about the turrets is that there are no numbers on the turrets, just lines, so you can't have any sort of BDC. The only thing you can really do is count clicks. The one nice feature is that you can reset the turrets by just pulling up on the knob and turning it to the zero you want and then push the knob back down. Again, if this scope was intended as a true Tacical scope, they should have used the locking turrets like the ones on the Short Dot, especially when the reticle isn't a ranging type reticle.

CONCLUSSION:
    IMHO, this would be the perfect scope with the right turrets and/or a better reticle. I still think it is an awesome scope and I do not regret purchasing it, especially for the price I got it for.

I made my own BDC marks using the "Brother" label making machine and it looks very nice and it is very helpful, so that at least helps some with the turrets.

POSITIVES:
    * Range of Magnification.
    * Daytime visible Reticle.
    * Glass.

NEGATIVES:
    * Turrets.
    * Cost.

RETICLE PICTURES:1x no illumination:

1x with illumination:
    Last edited by Paulo_Santos; 7 March 2009 at 06:36.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Excellent review.
    Mine is not as professional but here goes.
    I had a friend's boss ask me for advice on which optics to get I put a lot of work into what I wrote him and thought I would share it.

Now for optics. There is a lot of opinions on what the best optic system is. It really depends on what you need. I am really fond of two general systems.
    One being a Aimpoint with a 3x magnifier. I have that set up on my patrol rifle.

Here is how it works. To move the magnifier into position and out of position you just pull slightly back on its body and then push it to the right or left. Depending on rather you want it up or out of the way. Here are some pictures to demonstrate what I mean.

If you chose a red dot go with Aimpoint. I prefer the M4 model. I recommend buying the sight with the mounts from Larue.
    http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetac...ail.bok?no=226

Magnifier.
    http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetac...ail.bok?no=131

Another system I like a lot is a low power variable scope. I use a Swarovksi Z6i on my Three gun competition rifle. But its also a great tactical scope.

Here is the rifle I have that on. My Noveske.

The advantages of a variable power scope over the red dot is greater magnification. This scope is a 1 to 6 power optic. That spans close quarters shooting out to mediumish long range pretty well. The glass is also clearer and easier to see with. the down side is even at 1X the scope is not parallax free like the red dot. So you need to have a good cheek weld to use the optic. This is an issue when firing from awkward positions like Urban prone. (rifle on side laying flat on ground such as using a curb for cover or firing under a vehicle.)

Another disadvantage with the scope is the battery life is not nearly as good as the AImpoint. My Aimpoint Mark 4 will run 8 years on one AA battery. My Swarovksi will run about 200 hours on a watch battery. (2032) Now conversely the Swarovski will work without batteries with a black reticle.

One other issue is it takes longer to get your irons up and running with a scope. You must remove the scope to use your iron sights. If you use Larue mounts this takes about 5 seconds.

The Swarovski represents the best of the breed in this style of optic. Another option is Trijicons TR24 or TR21 Accupoint. They are about 90% the scope at about 50% of the price.

This is the improved version the TR24
    http://www.trijicon.com/user/parts/p...0&categoryID=5

The main difference over Jason's TR21 is the true 1x at the low end of the power setting, the 30 mm tube vs. 1 inch tube of the TR21, This scope also has a greater field of view.

The Accupoint is excellent outdoors as the reticle is powered by fiber optics. It also works at night because its also powered by Tritium. But inside the reticle turns black. It still works but its a tad slower than a red dot to use.

Here are some threads to read on optics.

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=104

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=4209

I highly recommend you quality optic. Last summer I did a lot of work at the range recording my speed and accuracy with various optics vs. Iron sights. I found that at 15 yards or less in day light conditions that Irons held their own and were about equal to the red dot sights. However at 25 yards and further the optics advantage became very apparent with times being much faster with optics with greater accuracy. Optics also have a huge advantage in low lighting conditions.
    Colt M16/AR15/ 1911 & Glock Armorer.
    Certified Firearms Instructor & Urban Rifle Instructor.
    Completed SWAT Entry Team and SWAT Sniper courses.
    NRA Endowment Member
    IDPA Expert level shooter in CDP, ESP and SSP. USPSA B class

Downloads
    Uploads
    Interesting review Paul. 16 oz. ain't too bad. I had been considering one of the Leupold 1.5-5x and they are 15oz. and 9.3" long vs. the 16oz and 11" long of this one.

have to do some thinking on whether the extra 1x on the top end and .5x less on the low end are worth the $1100 premium though.
    WWW.TACTICALYELLOWVISOR.NET

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Interesting review Paul. 16 oz. ain't too bad. I had been considering one of the Leupold 1.5-5x and they are 15oz. and 9.3" long vs. the 16oz and 11" long of this one.

have to do some thinking on whether the extra 1x on the top end and .5x less on the low end are worth the $1100 premium though.
    I shot the Leupold 1.5x5 and my Swarovski at the class I attended in April. The only thing that the Leupold had on the Swarovski was the turrets. With the custom turrets that I made, I was still able to dial in the different ranges from 100-400 yards. It wasn't perfect, but it worked. If you can live with the 1.5x, I would save some money and get the Leupold.

Even though the Swarovski has the illuminated reticle, it still wasn't as fast up close as the Aimpoint or EOTech because eye relief is critical with the Swarovski and any other conventional scope.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I forgot to add: Another great aption is the new Trijicon 1x4 Accupoint scopes. They actually got it right with the turrets. For the price, they are the best out there.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by paulosantos View Post
    I shot the Leupold 1.5x5 and my Swarovski at the class I attended in April. The only thing that the Leupold had on the Swarovski was the turrets. With the custom turrets that I made, I was still able to dial in the different ranges from 100-400 yards. It wasn't perfect, but it worked. If you can live with the 1.5x, I would save some money and get the Leupold.

Even though the Swarovski has the illuminated reticle, it still wasn't as fast up close as the Aimpoint or EOTech because eye relief is critical with the Swarovski and any other conventional scope.
    Paul if you don't mind could you post your custom turrets and directions on how you made them. I would like something like that.
    Pat
    NRA Endowment Member

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaskapopo View Post
    Paul if you don't mind could you post your custom turrets and directions on how you made them. I would like something like that.
    Pat
    It is nothing complicated. You just need a Brother Label Machine and use the Clear tape with white lettering and set the font to the smallest size. The key is to type the number and hit "enter" and then print it out.

Downloads
    Uploads
    If its not too much trouble can you show me a pic of what you did. (end result) Is there a way to use the distance between the dot and the circle to range find.
    Pat
    Last edited by Alaskapopo; 20 October 2009 at 22:46.
    NRA Endowment Member

Downloads
    Uploads

NRA Endowment Member

Downloads
    Uploads
    If its not too much trouble can you show me a pic of what you did. (end result) Is there a way to use the distance between the dot and the circle to range find.
    Pat
    I used to have pictures of the turrets, but I deleted the pictures from my computer. And I sold my scope so I can't take pictures of the turret. I can take pictures of the Brother Label Machine and the labels.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Sorry to be a pain. I just would like to figure out a good solution for shooting out to 600 if I go to some three gun matches in the lower 48.
    Pat
    NRA Endowment Member

Downloads
    Uploads
    I need to figure out how to do this as well, mine needs help for Ft benning coming up.

Also, I submitted a "user review" what gives ? :p

Downloads
    Uploads
    Sorry to be a pain. I just would like to figure out a good solution for shooting out to 600 if I go to some three gun matches in the lower 48.
    Pat
    Not a pain. I wish I was able out more. With the way the turrets are, I was only able to dial in 550 yards and that was with a very fast, light bullet. You will have a hard time dialing in 600 yards.

Downloads
    Uploads
    This may be the ticket take a look.
    http://www.buytelescopes.com/UserFiles/swarovski-bt.pdf
    NRA Endowment Member

Downloads
    Uploads
    I called up Swarovski about those turrets and they said they had no plans on putting those turrets on the 1x6 scopes because most people won't be using the 1x6 for long range. I told the lady that I just had gone to a 0-500 yard class in which I used the Z6i and it worked great out to 500 yards and those new turrets would have helped out. So hopefully they will listen of enough people call them ip.