Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by SINNER View Post
    We have been dropping between 40-50 mature white tails a year fufiling crop damage permits for the past decade. The 70gr. Barnes TSX have been the most effective 5.56 rounds I have ever used. The bonded soft points are a close second and have been superior to almost every other "hunting round" we have used.

We went to the 5.56 on the farms we hunt in addition to the crop control permits 6-7 years ago after having pass thru's with .308's and larger calibers drop trophy bucks we wanted to keep in the gene pool. I have never seen a TSX pass through an animal but I have seen the soft points go through.
    Very interesting, as noone I have given any Browntip to has ever had one NOT pass-through the hog/deer.

Also, have you used any RA556B? Thoughts on it? If so, what is the longest shot you've had that you recovered the projectile from/how was it expanded/what barrel length was used?

Your observations of 70gr TSX being a lightning bolt mirror what I've heard from others, but not the no-pass-through behavior. Interesting.

Thanks a ton! Love to hear more about your observations!

Downloads
    Uploads
    The TSX loads we run were crono'ed right around 2800 fps with a 18" Satern barrel. Not 100% certain but I believe running 24gr. Of Varget. Shots range between 75-150 yards. Our deer in this area run large for mid atlantic white tails. Does usually fall between 135-160 lbs and some of the bucks get up to 220-230 range.

We almost always shoulder the deer and my comments about pass thru's may be deceiving as that is very important to the owners of the properties we shoot on. The time of year not only are the deer herded up before the rut but almost all the fields are littered with farm implements.

Very few times have we got a chance to check the expansion of the rounds. Maryland is very specific in the only handling of the animals is if they need to be cleared from the active fields. No dressing or antler harvesting allowed for crop damage permits. We use heavier calibers during hunting season.

I also have not personally used the Winchester 64gr bonded but a friend who does not hand load swears by them. What are your thoughts on that round?
    Last edited by SINNER; 3 October 2015 at 05:36.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by SINNER View Post
    The TSX loads we run were crono'ed right around 2800 fps with a 18" Satern barrel. Not 100% certain but I believe running 24gr. Of Varget. Shots range between 75-150 yards. Our deer in this area run large for mid atlantic white tails. Does usually fall between 135-160 lbs and some of the bucks get up to 220-230 range.

We almost always shoulder the deer and my comments about pass thru's may be deceiving as that is very important to the owners of the properties we shoot on. The time of year not only are the deer herded up before the rut but almost all the fields are littered with farm implements.

Very few times have we got a chance to check the expansion of the rounds. Maryland is very specific in the only handling of the animals is if they need to be cleared from the active fields. No dressing or antler harvesting allowed for crop damage permits. We use heavier calibers during hunting season.

I also have not personally used the Winchester 64gr bonded but a friend who does not hand load swears by them. What are your thoughts on that round?
    The RA556B has proven very accurate for me, as far as bonded ammo goes. I get around 2 MOA shooting 10-shot groups off a magazine while seated at the bench, that, with a RDS+3X mag. I have not put one into anything living, yet.

I did chronograph some Browntip at the range the other day. Some guy had a chrono on the line, and let me run a couple of rounds through it. I just fired 2 rounds. 2849fps, and 2901 or something like that (hair over 2900). 16.1" DDM4, Surefire 556-212 suppressor.

Ever use the 62gr TSX's? How do they compare to the 70's on-target?