Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Griffin Armament Recce 5 First Impressions

I skipped town and went to get my silencer today. I was planning to go on Monday but I had to get mine before Former11B got his

This is my very first suppressor so I will share here "first thoughts" and post back time to time with updates. Hopefully this can help others who may be agonizing over how to spend their money :) On a serious note it does seem like a big commitment jumping into the NFA game so the more info the better is my motto.

On a side note my laptop is officially dead so no pictures for the time being.

I bought the Recce 5 after basically a ton of research on the internet. Up until today I had never seen a Griffin anything in person, much less the Recce 5. I do have to give credit where credit is due though. WEVO has been a damn gold mine for information and reliable opinions. I've wanted a silencer forever but joining here kicked me over the edge.

The Recce 5 seems extremely well built. Yet it is not too heavy. It is shorter than a 30 round magazine and by the time you thread it on its really not adding a whole lot of length to the rifle.

I was at a gun shop about a month ago and they had a silencer mounted on an AR so I picked it up. The thing was super nose heavy. With the Recce 5 though my first impression is totally different. On my rifle it seems extremely well balanced. It seems as though it was meant to be there. It is slightly more nose heavy but NOTHING like the other one I picked up. That just might be the luck of the draw on my rifle, but it works for me. Overall my initial feel was very positive.

The suppressor came with the minimalist taper mount muzzle brake. Initially when I bought my silencer it was the MOD2 and I picked it partially because of the mount. Probably half the reason for choosing Griffin was because of the mount. It wasn't until I was in a couple of months before I even knew I was getting a MOD3. In the end I am not really a brake guy so I will probably end up getting a flash comp mount but the little one does seem alright. I imagine if I end up shooting 95% of the time suppressed I guess it won't matter. After I put the little one on the gun it doesn't look that bad.

The little carrying case for the silencer is camo. I would prefer black but that's just me. None the less that is a non essential part.

I put the mount on the gun using the shim set. It does require timing to some degree. I had to fiddle with it some.

My research I feel did pay off. I think the mounting system is really good and really solid. There is zero wobble. That thing locks up tight. That said if I were doing it again I would not rule out Griffin's QD mount. The taper mount is rock solid and leaves little to complain about and very little room for things to break. At least I hope so. That said putting the can off and on you have to take your time to align it right. I don't know if its worth worrying about but if the thing somehow got cross threaded that could be a big pain in the ass. I also don't know if the can could ever work itself loose. I don't think it would and the odds of it happening are low but who knows. Once I shoot it with the can on maybe that will teach me some more about it.

The stand out thing for me during the first 15 minutes is the handling of it on the gun. The balance and weight and all that are just awesome, at least that's my initial impression. We will see how all this evolves over time.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Great first thoughts. Proof is in the pudding... Shoot it!!!

Downloads
    Uploads
    It was dark by the time a meandered home so I have to wait until tomorrow.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    It was dark by the time a meandered home so I have to wait until tomorrow.
    If it works how it's supposed to, just go out in your backyard...

Downloads
    Uploads
    I walked out in the back yard and set up to shoot my 100 yard plate. I only took a few shots but holy smokes. That thing is NIIICE! Let the new crack habit begin!

I did the first shot with ear plugs but after that, they were not needed with this can and especially for my little test. It was not uncomfortable at all to shoot with no plugs or muffs. I had other people back a little bit listening and they said it sounded like the air rushing out of a tire after it was punctured. Just a quick "PSheew" and that's it. It was nice as hell!

It's definitely doing the job it was hired for.

I did not experience any blow back in my face. Nothing. In that regard it was like I was shooting normally. I had nothing splashing me in the face although I will obviously test this more. I did notice carbon all over my magazine.

It did seem like there was less recoil not that it's a big deal with .223 but it seemed less. Again I will test this more.

I did notice what was known as POI shift. I will do more testing on that but it seems like it was hitting low and slightly left from normal. I will report back with more numbers later.

I did come back and adjust my gas block some just as an experiment. I will let you know more later.

The overall first impression was somewhere between joyus a d frickin awesome.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    I did the first shot with ear plugs but after that, they were not needed with this can and especially for my little test. It was not uncomfortable at all to shoot with no plugs or muffs.
    Just be careful. While it might not hurt during a one-time exposure, it can add up. It's not as much the gunshot that causes the issue with 5.56, it's the supersonic crack of the bullet.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by gatordev View Post
    Just be careful. While it might not hurt during a one-time exposure, it can add up. It's not as much the gunshot that causes the issue with 5.56, it's the supersonic crack of the bullet.
    Yes for sure. If I was just needing or wanting to shoot a few rounds it is hearing safe...that is my main observation. If I was going to shoot a lot I still think I would wear ear plugs. After a magazine of shooting it can give a headache.

As for my POI shift I got my sled and adjusted my optic 3 MOA down and 1 MOA left.

On my gas block I tried turning it down and up to see about the blow back. My regular setting was 7. On 9 it was ejecting brass 90 degrees out the side of the gun and some of the brass was dinged up. On setting 8 it worked flawlessly and the brass was flawless. I tried turning it down a lot more to simulate a standard block and the gun still ran fine although it was pitching the crap out of the brass at a much more steep angle. Like I said, based on just a few rounds setting 8 seemed to work best by my initial tests.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by gatordev View Post
    That is a good observation that I've heard before. Mainly here on WEVO. That does go very well with the intent of my thread. I'm a suppressor noob so hopefully as I walk through this as I go when some other noob wonders the same stuff they can read this and find answers.

After a magazine of shooting you might have a behind the eyeballs headache so just to be safe still plan on muffs or ear plugs.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Congrats bro, glad your liking it

Downloads
    Uploads
    It's not safe, and you need to wear earpro.

*end medical PSA*

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by JGifford View Post
    It's not safe, and you need to wear earpro.

*end medical PSA*
    Que???
    $300 and 10 Pastrami Sandwiches and a case of Diet Coke. ( UWone77)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by toolboxluis00200 View Post
    Que???
    Normal .223/5.56 shot suppressed is not hearing safe for the shooter. It may be tolerable, but you're still damaging your hearing. Observers 5-10 yards behind you should be fine without hearing protection, though.

I highly recommend a set of surefire ep3 plugs with the ports left open for suppressed use. You can hear everyone talk, they don't take batteries, and don't squash your ears. Plus, they're cheap. :)
    Will - Owner of Arisaka LLC - http://www.arisakadefense.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippers View Post
    Normal .223/5.56 shot suppressed is not hearing safe for the shooter. It may be tolerable, but you're still damaging your hearing. Observers 5-10 yards behind you should be fine without hearing protection, though.

I highly recommend a set of surefire ep3 plugs with the ports left open for suppressed use. You can hear everyone talk, they don't take batteries, and don't squash your ears. Plus, they're cheap. :)
    It was a joke lol
    $300 and 10 Pastrami Sandwiches and a case of Diet Coke. ( UWone77)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippers View Post

Got a link? I might pick a pair up.

I just use hunter orange foam plugs. If it gets really bad aka like at the monster truck rally I throw a pair of bionic muffs on top of that.

My big bionic muffs are actually a little too big. Sometimes when I get down in prone position my muffs were too wide.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by toolboxluis00200 View Post
    It was a joke lol
    Don't worry... I got the joke LOL!