Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

SBR Discussion-- My Build

I know it's been discussed before but for the record...

I have a lower that is either already at, or will soon be at my FFL. Shortly thereafter it will be off to be engraved.

I already bought some parts as well, and I am asking for stuff for Christmas as well... hence the thread.

Before I go into what all I am building is it true or not true that 10.3 or 10.5 builds can be more finickey than a longer build such as an 11.5 or a 12.5?

From what I recall...the whole dwell time thing matters a lot.... as does the correct porting on the barrel. And will an adjustable gas block help the gun run more smoothly when talking about such issues?

----

Now for what I am building....

*CMT non ambi lower (already bought, just have to pick it up)
    *probably a CMT slick side upper (depends on Santa Claus)
    *CMC 3.5lb single stage flat trigger (bought already)
    *Rainier Phosphate BCG (bought already)
    *SLR 10" Mlok solo lite handguard (depends on Santa)
    *Probably a MFT minimalist stock (undecided)
    *11.5" barrel (unknown yet)
    *SLR adjustable gas block
    *One of the griffin taper mounts so I can use my can on it (either the minimalist or the hammer comp so far)
    *Griffin Snatch
    *Probably an Aimpoint T2 with a lower 1/3 mount (probably the CMT mount)

Depends on how long the engraving process takes, but hopefully I will Form 1 soon.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Other questions or comments would be welcome about my choices of stock or whatnot. The reason I kind of like that one is because the bottom of it is sort of angled which in my opinion could get me more options on shooting styles.... the stock I have now if I hold it up like that it digs into my shoulder.

Are there any other stocks that are light weight and also have a slightly angled lower edge?

Downloads
    Uploads
    I also plan to run a VFG on there as well as a light. I will also use Battle Arms safety levers... long and scalloped work great.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I should also note that due to my upcoming trip this build might take a while to finish out :) BUT at least I have most of the stuff already including stamp for when that time arrives.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The long thread on M4C makes good points about the better dwell time with an 11.5" in 5.56. However the military mostly uses the ~ inch shorter sbrs I think pretty much exclusively. If you plan on shooting the *cheapest ammo I would go 11.5. But since Mil-spec brass case 55grn is the cheapest I use I feel comfy with 10.5. I had a 10.5 LMT that was problem free and currently run a factory Centurion 10.5 (maybe 10.3) upper that I got a deal on cuz it's finicky with the cheapo steel cased. Since I can mount my Recce 7 can for more dwell time it probably would shoot the garbage stuff now too. The cheapest barrels I trust are Ballistic Advantage.*

Since BCM did the definitive study of the benefits of 11.5", that is what I would get if you decide on that length. Their gas block too for piece of mind. Good luck.
    “ When I comes to modern politics, I think the inverse of Hanlon's Razor applies...In other words, "Never attribute to stupidity that which is adequately explained by malice." - Kerplode

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Uffdaphil View Post
    The long thread on M4C makes good points about the better dwell time with an 11.5" in 5.56. However the military mostly uses the ~ inch shorter sbrs I think pretty much exclusively. If you plan on shooting the *cheapest ammo I would go 11.5. But since Mil-spec brass case 55grn is the cheapest I use I feel comfy with 10.5. I had a 10.5 LMT that was problem free and currently run a factory Centurion 10.5 (maybe 10.3) upper that I got a deal on cuz it's finicky with the cheapo steel cased. Since I can mount my Recce 7 can for more dwell time it probably would shoot the garbage stuff now too. The cheapest barrels I trust are Ballistic Advantage.*

Since BCM did the definitive study of the benefits of 11.5", that is what I would get if you decide on that length. Their gas block too for piece of mind. Good luck.
    I have been leaning towards 11.5 just because. I don't really have a reason. I guess it's just a happy medium. I haven't done the form 1 yet so there is still a chance to change my mind.

I do want to go with the SLR block because I had issues using their rails with other blocks. Plus they look bad ass.

Downloads
    Uploads
    As far as ammo for this gun I want it to be able to run anything for the most part. My other rifle I take time to shoot tight groups and far distances. This one is going to be a completely different type of set up.

Downloads
    Uploads
    On a whim a couple of years ago, I bought a sale priced 10.5" Rainier Match (carbine gas) and mini-comp. Runs like a (flamethrowing) top using anything down to PMC 55gr. Literally zero malfunctions so far. I think most reputable manufacturers have the port size pretty well dialed in for 10.5" carbine barrels these days.

An adjustable block would matter only if your barrel were seriously overgassed in your configuration. Personally, I would start without and retrofit only if needed.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I vote for a 10.5". The MFT stock is a great option and I highly recommend! I also say ditch the VFG and get an Arisaka Fingerstop. I was very hesitant and didnt really see the point in them until I used one. Now one goes on every build! Everything looks like a great build!

Downloads
    Uploads
    I second the 10.5 barrel. If your gonna sbr might aswell go as short as possible

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Dstrbdmedic167 View Post
    I vote for a 10.5". The MFT stock is a great option and I highly recommend! I also say ditch the VFG and get an Arisaka Fingerstop. I was very hesitant and didnt really see the point in them until I used one. Now one goes on every build! Everything looks like a great build!
    I would like a 10.5 because why go small if you don't go all the way small... that said I don't want to have all kinds of bullshit problems or ammo issues or have something that is picky on ammo.

Downloads
    Uploads

Our 10.5 ballistic advantage barrel & GB has been 100%. It's tore down currently to swap to a different upper, but I'm very impressed for the price.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    I would like a 10.5 because why go small if you don't go all the way small... that said I don't want to have all kinds of bullshit problems or ammo issues or have something that is picky on ammo.
    I doubt you'd have that many and besides you're gonna be running a sentry GB.. not like you can't fine tune it to what it likes...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Look at the barrels Sionics makes. They have made science and a beautiful 11.5". If you're planning on running it suppressed they also have an 11.5" barrel with a gas port sized specifically for that. BCM's stocks are almost as light as the MFT, but just go with what you like more. And to help reliability, Vltor A5 receiver extension. There's a long, long, long thread about it over on M4C.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Speaking of stocks I have the MFT on one of my lowers and I like it a lot. Probably my favorite stock at the moment t. However I'm going to try one of the BCM's on my newest build. I don't think you could go wrong with any of the popular units out there... Hell I still use and like the ctr