Quote Originally Posted by mustangfreek View Post
    That is a crazy looking cockpit..

Wow
    It’s pretty slick!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Deadwing,

You still loving that G05 X5?

I'm considering an upgrade for 2022, but I'm really starting to lean towards that Land Rover Defender. The interior is definitely not as nice, but the exterior is where it's at. However, I'm still a BMW loyalist, but I want something bigger with 7 seats. Considered the X7, but really don't want to spend X7 money.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    Deadwing,

You still loving that G05 X5?

I'm considering an upgrade for 2022, but I'm really starting to lean towards that Land Rover Defender. The interior is definitely not as nice, but the exterior is where it's at. However, I'm still a BMW loyalist, but I want something bigger with 7 seats. Considered the X7, but really don't want to spend X7 money.
    I still love it. If i had it to do over again, the only thing i'd change would be getting into a 2020 instead of the 2019 so i could have the newer (and more powerful) engine. But that's kind of a minor detail with as much power as i've got. It does everything i need it to, and i haven't found myself wanting for anything with it. The exterior styling cues i wasn't too keen on have grown on me. And the interior still brings a smile to my face.

Some Land Rovers are definitely sexy, but underneath that shiny veneer are poorly engineered mechanicals and dodgy electrics. As for seating, i had no idea the Defender could seat 7. It's about the same size as the X5 so i'd imagine the 3rd row seat would eat up most of your cargo volume and be all but useless except for kids and really short trips with adults. The X7 is quite a bit larger, and i considered one myself. But optioned how i wanted it, it was more than i was willing to spend. When all is said and done, i have no regrets or gripes with the G05 X5.
    "It's time to start slapping people." - George Carlin

NRA Life Member | SAF Life Member | FPC Member

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Downloads
    Uploads
    This non-firearms related thread has been super dead, so I thought I'd revive it.

We decided that we're going to replace our 2015 Acura MDX with something newer. Considered getting the Land Rover Defender, but they have been crap reliability wise, but I loved the looks. Briefly considered replacing the MDX with a new 2023 MDX Type S, but we ultimately wanted more room, and the Type S was a disappointment performance wise and luxury wise.

After a few more months I was then ready to pull the trigger on a 2023 Toyota Sequoia TRD PRO, but everyone around here wanted at least 10-15K over MSRP. I couldn't justify a 100K Toyota....

Soooooo just placed an order for a 2023 BMW X7 40i to revive this thread Delivery date sometime in Feb/March

More for gatordev... looking forward to seeing how I like the new BMW tech vs 6 years ago when we got our last one.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Nice !!

Color and options ??
    NRA Benefactor Member
    NRA Certified Instructor

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on."
    John Wayne - "The Shootist"

Downloads
    Uploads
    I don't remember that we had established that you had a MDX before. My wife had two before she got her current 2019 RDX. The parallels continue to be interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    Soooooo just placed an order for a 2023 BMW X7 40i to revive this thread Delivery date sometime in Feb/March

More for gatordev... looking forward to seeing how I like the new BMW tech vs 6 years ago when we got our last one.
    Funny enough, last night at work I was looking at getting CarPlay into my F22. I *think* I can do it with just a new head unit from Code My Bimmer, but that's still spendy in the grand scheme of things.

I'm still not sure I completely understand what a X7 is. It looks like a fatter...er... larger X5. Is it that it has a 3rd row? I'm not usually a fan of larger vehicles, but for being a bigger vehicle, it does look sharp. So, Performance Delivery????

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by gatordev View Post
    I don't remember that we had established that you had a MDX before. My wife had two before she got her current 2019 RDX. The parallels continue to be interesting.

Funny enough, last night at work I was looking at getting CarPlay into my F22. I *think* I can do it with just a new head unit from Code My Bimmer, but that's still spendy in the grand scheme of things.

I'm still not sure I completely understand what a X7 is. It looks like a fatter...er... larger X5. Is it that it has a 3rd row? I'm not usually a fan of larger vehicles, but for being a bigger vehicle, it does look sharp. So, Performance Delivery????
    We need a family hauler, and the wife wanted another 3rd row with more cargo space than the MDX, so here we go. The MDX is getting long in the tooth and it's never been as comfortable as our other vehicles. Some maintenance is coming up too, so I figure it's a good time. I had her talked into the Sequoia, but shortages and dealer markups have ruined that idea. I'm not a fan of larger vehicles either, the X5 is about the largest I wanted to go. I tried to actually go more reasonable. Looked at a Telluride until shortages out here made it so I couldn't even find one to test drive. Then I thought about getting a Yukon, but the Yukon/Tahoe line has been plagued with issues since '21.

I actually went "reasonable" with the X7, stuck with the Inline 6 vs going with the M60i. I figure I'm never going to go pedal to the metal with kids in the car, so here I am.

For Jerry, I went with White, our MDX is white, and we like the color.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Just turned 1k miles on her in 4 months.

Name:  IMG_6974.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  1.46 MB

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hey gator... you ever think about replacing the F22?

I think we may retire that and go with a G20

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've thought about it, but never seriously went anywhere with it. I replaced my 2007 4Runner with a new one last year, so I'm not looking to spend more money, especially when my F22 has so few miles.

Other than blowing a charge pipe a few months ago, she's still going strong. After several years of talking about it, I finally put CarPlay in it as a Xmas gift to myself in December through an ID4-to-ID6 update. It's a nice upgrade, although I can't get Waze audo alerts or notifications autio to play through for some reason. Everything else works great.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hey educate me on the carplay upgrade.... I know nothing about doing these software upgrades because this is the wife's car. I'm thinking about upgrade her to a G20 and I'll keep this one as my project upgrade car. It's just under 29k miles, and it needs plugs, brakes, tires, and some other maintenance. Only about half I'll be doing myself. Something about the F22 just reminds me too much of my old E46's, so I'd like to keep it. Not sure if thats a good financial decision though.

I was eyeballing the 4Runners myself. Always wanted another one, I wonder how the new generation will stack up next year. How are you liking it?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Based on my research, there's a couple of different paths. One is to buy a Chinese third-party box that you plug into the head unit and cram into whatever space you can find behind your dash. It has most of the functionality, but has some limitations. I didn't go very far down that rabbit hole because the whole process didn't interest me. I believe one of the limitations is that it's essentially taking over your AUX input, so you can't have multiple "channels" of audio at the same time (like being able to listen to your radio while also having a phone input for turn-by-turn). It's possible I'm mistaken on that, but trying to deal with an extra piece of hardware in an already tight space just wasn't what I wanted.

Another method is to pay one of several outfits that have essentially ripped ID6 out of a car and they then install it in an ID4 vehicle. You have to check your software version to make sure the car is compatible (if it isn't, a third option is buying a whole new head unit brain, but that's more expensive), but I'm guessing yours would be since you bought yours around the same time as I did. The process requires you buying a WiFi antenna and a OBD to USB cable. Also having a battery charger that can keep up with the electrical drain. The process takes an hour and you have to have a computer (laptop recommended) at your car to plug in the OBD cable to. This is how the data is transferred. You can also just start the car and leave it running to keep the battery charged. Once the process starts, the car is unresponsive for the process and pretty much everything turns on. You can still manage the manual portion of the HVAC (AC and fan), but that's it. A tech will tunnel into your laptop with some software and basically controls your laptop to do the install. It's a program similar to what the phone scammers use in India. I just made a separate Windows account for the install, but I watched the whole process and there wasn't anything nefarious going on. You can delete the program once they're done.

You also have to pop the dash off and get to the back of the head unit to install the WiFi antenna. It's actually a pretty quick process. They say it takes 15 minutes, but it took me ~45 minutes because I had a couple of plastic clips that were stubborn and I didn't want to snap them off. Putting it back together takes 3 minutes. You can buy an OEM antenna (what I did, as it was a little smaller) or you can buy a third party off of Amazon. The antenna sits in a cavity underneath the head unit.

And that's it. You have wireless (only) CarPlay, but your USB port will still charge (and act as a USB device for media/transfer to the onboard DVR). I think you might also have video playback on the screen, but I haven't messed with that. Like I mentioned, the only real issue I had is that I can't hear Waze or iMessage/Text notifications, but I haven't really trouble-shot it much other than checking the various input volumes in the car's settings.

More to follow on the 4Runner discussion...work calls.

Downloads
    Uploads
    4Runner thoughts...

It's definitely bigger, and a stock one still has that ridiculous nose dive when braking, but it's still a 4Runner and it's great. Gas mileage sucks, but the options they added in 2020 have rounded it out nicely. Mine is a ORP, so almost a TRD Pro without the cost (or wheel/tire combo). Since finally buying mine, I stopped tracking any info in the 6th gen. Maybe the next time I'm at work and need something to do, I'll go see what it looks like. Before anything was announced, it seemed we knew what the engine was going to be, which sounded pretty impressive. But I think we're finally starting to see the "cost" of using small displacement turbos now that they've been around for a while, so not sure how well they'll fair on a large SUV like the 4Runner.