Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippers View Post
    I use them on everything, and they work fine on every barrel length I've tried. In particular, it made my BCM 14.5 mid function much more reliably with and without a suppressor, without having to change the buffer.

Only downside is cost and non-standard parts. Also some stocks can't collapse all the way on the A5 receiver extension.
    What buffer are you using?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by JGifford View Post
    What buffer are you using?
    A5H2 for the most part. My BCM 11.5" is shot 100% suppressed and I've been trying an A5H3 with LMT enhanced carrier based on iraqgunz recommendation.
    Will - Owner of Arisaka LLC - http://www.arisakadefense.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    My take on the A5 is this. If you lack the ability or time to properly set up a carbine rifle they seem to hit closer to perfect than most carbine buffer set ups.

If you know how to properly set up a rifle the lack of rifle length spring rate choices and the rip off pricing of the buffers really works against you.

I have them on a few rifles. Ever since I started buying tungsten rod and making my own weighted buffers they are nothing but an overpriced band aid to me.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by SINNER View Post
    My take on the A5 is this. If you lack the ability or time to properly set up a carbine rifle they seem to hit closer to perfect than most carbine buffer set ups.

If you know how to properly set up a rifle the lack of rifle length spring rate choices and the rip off pricing of the buffers really works against you.

I have them on a few rifles. Ever since I started buying tungsten rod and making my own weighted buffers they are nothing but an overpriced band aid to me.
    I doubt people go to the A5 because they don't understand how to choose the right buffer and spring in a carbine system. That would be making things even more complicated. Just think of all the people constantly asking about how the A5 extension is longer, the buffers are longer, etc.

The reason for the A5 is that it offers a wider envelope of reliability and function like the rifle length buffer/spring while still offering an adjustable stock.

Case in point, my bcm 14.5 ELW would only cycle with a colt carbine spring and carbine buffer. If I put a can on, then it went from 4 o'clock ejection to 12:30 ejection unless I swapped to an H2. It's annoying to swap buffers, so I threw an A5 setup on with A5H2, and it cycles fine both suppressed and unsuppressed, with only a slight change to the ejection pattern, and I don't have to swap buffers to use the can.

Is it worth the cost? My opinion is yes. I know several respected members on here don't think so, though, which is perfectly fine.
    Will - Owner of Arisaka LLC - http://www.arisakadefense.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by SINNER View Post

I disagree. With the Carbine Blue spring and H3 buffer, I get a ton of muzzle-dip. With the Vltor A5 and Green spring and A5H4 on my 16.1 Middy, I don't get any notable muzzle dip.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by wsaraceni View Post
    Weird that their actual website says out of stock for the same parts.
    Yeah, I know. They were showing out of stock when I ordered. Friend Geoff also ordered a kit and had to do it via gunbroker. Both orders have shipped though. Must be selling all through GB instead of an online store.
    NRA Benefactor Member
    NRA Certified Instructor

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on."
    John Wayne - "The Shootist"

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry R View Post
    Yeah, I know. They were showing out of stock when I ordered. Friend Geoff also ordered a kit and had to do it via gunbroker. Both orders have shipped though. Must be selling all through GB instead of an online store.
    ordered 2. at least i have all parts inbound

Downloads
    Uploads
    Roy at Weapons Outfitters would be a great source for the A5 product. I run the 5.4 OZ buffer and Springco Green on my lower and it runs flawless on a 10.5" Car, 12.5" Car, 12.5 Car Suppressed, 14.5" Car, 14.5" Middy, and a couple SPR in 18" Rifle gas, as well as aMK12 Suppressed. I love the set up. Your other option would be to use the standard A5 buffer and a Wolff XP spring.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Just an FYI, BCM makes their own version of the VLTOR A5 kit. You can also piece it together on their site. Basically all it contains is a special buffer tube, a VLTOR proprietary buffer, and a rifle length spring. In my opinion, they are superior to the carbine setup in function and smoothness. I have four rifles (was 5) and all have or had the A5 system on them. One was a 14.5" middy from Faxon. I was having issues with it, but that was a gas block alignment issue. Like some have said, and I've found this to be true to a lot of rifles, sometimes the buffer weight has to be chosen to "fit" the rifle. My personal experience with Noveske is great. I have two of their rifles and they function more reliably than any of the others I own. They are the only two rifle I have never had a malfunction with that wasn't specifically ammo related. They will eat anything (as long as it chambers) and do it happily with most any lower combo I've had on (within reason).

Downloads
    Uploads
    So I got the kits in. I'll report back when I get around to installing them. Current plan is the two noveske 14.5" will get the a5. The current vltor carbine tube will move over to the aero precision 22 and eventually I'll get a 7 position Emod a5 to replace my rifle tube on my 18" intermediate

Downloads
    Uploads
    Are the bcm a5 kits interchangeable with vltor?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by wsaraceni View Post
    Are the bcm a5 kits interchangeable with vltor?
    Yes. Exact same.
    -One Nation, Under God

-"The bad news is time flies. The good news is you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Downloads
    Uploads
    Has anyone tried using a JP rifle length spring with their A5?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by bandw1dth View Post
    Has anyone tried using a JP rifle length spring with their A5?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yes, I have, and it has worked fine. I love JPs polished springs.
    I also like Sprinco springs as well.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Aragorn View Post
    My Springco green spring gives my A5 a bit more punch during recoil vs the standard spring. Just a heads up on that.
    This is my experience, as well. The "shock" of firing seems more "transmitted to your shoulder directly" than with the Vltor spring, which seems to "absorb some of the energy in its own motion". That may sound stupid to some of you, but if you've shot them side by side, I suspect you would agree.

That said, I had multiple failures which have been solved by the Sprinco Green Spring. I have hundreds and hundreds of rounds without failure, using the Sprinco Green spring. Prior to that, using the Vltor spring, the weapon would fail to chamber a round because it didn't have enough power to close the BCG stripping a round from a full PMAG. Here is a slow-motion video of that failure. Switching to the Green made it go away 100%.