Downloads
    Uploads

Offset irons or something else for backup with magnified optic

What do you guys prefer to use for backup irons for a rifle with magnified optics. I have an 18" AR with currently a 1-4 and in the future should have a 2.5-10x type scope. What type of backup sights do you guys use. I kinda like the design behind the dueck defense offset sites but would love to hear the pro and con of each.

Downloads
    Uploads
    It's kinda give and take. I've got a set of Griffins Failsafe offset irons, got them to be paired with a 2.5-10x scope that was mounted in a non-QD mount. For that application they are great because you always have the option of "1 power" instantly. On your strong side at least. getting the "roll in" transition down is pretty straight forward too.

That said I've got a Vortex 1-4x mounted now, and have much less use for the offsets. I have them mounted because it's what ive got, but since I have 1x on my scope and it has a built in cat-tail, it seems redundant. On the 1-4x I'd rather have a QD mount and some nice flip up irons.
    -One Nation, Under God

-"The bad news is time flies. The good news is you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Downloads
    Uploads
    That's along the lines of what I am thinking. With anything with a 1x, you always have a 1x option. Flip up and a QD on a magnified optic gives you backup in the event of a failure but nothing at 1x without an optic failure. Since I plan to go 2.5-10 it might make sense for an offset. Then again. Since I'll probably never use the rifle for more than plinking paper, why put irons on it at all

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by wsaraceni View Post
    Then again. Since I'll probably never use the rifle for more than plinking paper, why put irons on it at all
    Pretty much this. Excluding fixed-power optics (ACOG and the like), I have 5 rifles with variable optics. 3 don't have BUIS because I can't find a reason to need them. One (my MK12) has a RMR for working closeup at competitions. The other is a 1-6 on my Noveske, but it's so I can run the same gun with a RDS at a class/competition if I need to (and thus have BUIS if the RDS goes down). Otherwise, if just plinking, why spend the money?

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've got BUIS paired with a glass in a Bobro QD on my SHTF rifle. If I felt I needed "instant" backup on a rifle with glass I'd probably go with an offset RMR or even Micro. But I'm just a Regular Guy so my view doesn't count for much.
    Name:  51sWc-T9e9L._UX679_.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  35.6 KB

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well I decided for now my Troy BUIS will go on my new red dot rifle. I'll decide later what to do with my 18"