Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    If I could find a used KAC for $1,500 vs. a brand new Colt for $1,200, I'd be on that used SR like stink on a wet dog!
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by rxer311 View Post
    I have a bunch of custom builds that I have done, and I love them all in their own way. At this moment, however, I am in the market for a high quality factory built rifle. Its is a rifle that will be run hard and that I want to be a go to for SHTF duty as unlikely as that may be. My custom builds are great, but I want the piece of mind of a rifle manufactured from the ground up that has a factory warranty. I have always preferred 14.5" barrels with a pinned muzzle device and not going the NFA route. I don't need to hear that it makes swapping parts difficult in the future because I am buying a factory rifle as to not ever mess with it...I have my custom builds for that. I have been looking at a few different rifles and have thought of these.

1. DD V11 SLW
    2. Spikes Crusader
    3. BCM KMR 14.5

Of these 3 rifles I have only handled the DD V11 SLW and I really like it. I also have a home build that is similar to the BCM as it has a 14.5" barrel and 13" KMR. I have found some good deals on the Spikes on Gunbroker that would leave me with enough $ for a decent optic (Aimpoint PRO or Meprolight RDS) within my budget.

Just looking for opinions on what I have listed and possibly get some more ideas on rifles I have not thought about yet. I am not totally opposed to a 16" barrel, but do prefer 14.5".

Thanks.
    So why cant your builds be run hard? Somebody else assembling a rifle in a factory is no guarantee that your getting a better rifle. Confidence comes from training, training and more training and accepting the fact that things break no matter who makes them. Knowing what to do in a bad situation when firearms go down will go a lot further than dropping more coin on another rifle.
    Last edited by Stone; 31 May 2016 at 12:38.
    The best way to survive a violent encounter is to be the one inflicting the most violence.

Downloads
    Uploads
    There are rumors that Colt was supposed to announce a new factory rifle with mid-length gas system and Centurion Free-float handguard at the NRA show. Anyone know if that came to pass?

I always find the "factory rifle" discussion interesting. I wish there was a perfect plug-n-play option as I think most "builds" go full-retard real quick.

of your list, I'd probably opt for the DD. Something like this might interest me
    https://danieldefense.com/firearms/m...e-v7tm-lw.html

Although I'm still a lover of Picatinny, so this is probably the way I'd go. I'm just sort of assuming street price would be ~$1500
    https://danieldefense.com/firearms/m...ine-v5-lw.html

I'm starting to feel old though. I hadn't a clue that a SR15 was a $2k+ rifle these days. It was my first thought when I read the thread title, only to discover they were way more expensive than I remembered.

Regardless, it seems a shame that one can't name a functional factory AR that's <$1500 with modern accessories. I think it should be

16" LW or medcon barrel
    midlength gas
    12" handguard with QD sockets at nut and muzzle end, both sides, pick your attachment system (probably MLOK to keep down cost and weight)
    Magpul stock & grip (I'd personally like to see MOE-SL for stock and MOE for grip)

Barring that, I'd probably buy a Colt OEM and find a drop-on MLOK handguard and use the Magpul furniture. I'd do everything the snowflake guns will do with zero issue.
    WWW.TACTICALYELLOWVISOR.NET

Downloads
    Uploads
    On second thought, I'd probably just get this
    http://galleryofguns.com/genie/Defau...LE6920MPS-FDE&

Downloads
    Uploads
    FWIW, Primary Arms right now has all in stock Daniel Defense rifles for $300 off. Pretty good deal...
    Graphic Designer
    Instagram: @EO3actual

Downloads
    Uploads
    Man this is such a loaded question, so many options out there and prices at about there best in years..for the moment..

Never had a colt but it seems like the std reply.. I like others enjoy building them more and then you can do it how you want..I say that and I've not quite built the "ONE" yet just usually came across a good deal and a few others and a rifle or upper appeared..

Again so many options..DD ,COLT, KAC are all solid and have great reps, spend it wisely

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by EO3 View Post
    FWIW, Primary Arms right now has all in stock Daniel Defense rifles for $300 off. Pretty good deal...
    I just saw this...I thought my LGS had a good deal on it for $1369...PA has them for $1299...

Downloads
    Uploads
    If I weren't in NY I would give the new LWRC DI platform a go. I think they come in at $1500-1600 MSRP

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrannosaur View Post
    If I weren't in NY I would give the new LWRC DI platform a go. I think they come in at $1500-1600 MSRP
    Any particular reason or experience with them, or just something you're interested in trying out?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for the info. I have something more to look in to now. I can pick one of these up at my LGS for around $1400.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Any particular reason or experience with them, or just something you're interested in trying out?
    I've ran their piston upper and never had an issue. 5000+ rounds, solid and we'll built. The Di came out and would love to try it out... as I said I live in NY so most likely will not ever get one. But as far as I know they're within the price range he's looking for.
    Their ambi lower is forged I believe and in itself worth getting. The barrels are nitride and the BCG looks nice too

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've ran their piston upper and never had an issue. 5000+ rounds, solid and we'll built. The Di came out and would love to try it out... as I said I live in NY so most likely will not ever get one. But as far as I know they're within the price range he's looking for.
    Their ambi lower is forged I believe and in itself worth getting. The barrels are nitride and the BCG looks nice too
    Looks... sort of interesting. Not sure if you know these answers or not but,
    1) is the lower true-ambi (bolt catch & release and mag release on both sides) or partial ambi (like the KAC)?
    2) dimensions of hte handguard? Subjectively, the diameter looks... large.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The hand guards are not as large as they look in pictures. Somewhat between the size of a KAC URX rail and a Troy rail. maybe 1.6" - 1.7" outer diameter if I had to guess.

The lowers on their piston guns I've tried from them are true ambi. I believe the DI guns are the same

1) is the lower true-ambi (bolt catch & release and mag release on both sides) or partial ambi (like the KAC)?

For the OP: I could swear that someone asked this exact question a few months ago... or maybe this is the same thread and it just popped up again... or maybe I'm just getting a weird sense of deja vu

Anyways, Hodge Defense makes a very good rifle for the general price range your looking at.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes the lower is full ambi, both the mag catch and the bolt release are proprietary. But it is full ambi. I had the billet version (which was outfitted with the Norgon mag release) and the bolt catch is machined into the lower.

The handguard on their SPR upper (piston) was about the width of a Geissele MK3 handguard, but solid. The upper receiver is monoforged and has a proprietary barrel nut. As far as the dimensions of the DI handguard I'm not sure. Most likely wide like their other hand guard. I don't work for them and I have no real world experience I just know I ran the upper I had and wasn't nice to it and it always functioned and was machined beautifully. Damn you Cuomo

Downloads
    Uploads
    So after all that...I went with option #3.

I don't need a factory rifle.

I had a 13.5" Noveske NSR rail hanging around from my "other" "Noveske" build and I decided to go all in. I called Noveske directly and ordered a Gen 3 matched upper and lower set. I then was able to get a 14.5" chrome lined Noveske barrel with a trifecta FH to pin on it. Though not listed on their website, they did have the standard phosphate BCGs which I added to my order. Since I got the barrel and BCG direct from the manufacturer they are going to make sure my bolt is properly headspaced to the barrel. I also picked up a gunfighter Noveske marked CH.

I then went to Primary arms and got the things I needed to complete my lower. I got an ALG lower parts kit with an ALG ACT trigger as well as an ALG mil spec buffer tube assembly with H buffer. I also picked up an H2 just because I don't have one. I finished it off with a Noveske QD enplate. I am going to take all this stuff to my local gunsmith, "Lanco Tactical" for final assembly.