I am strongly considering filing all the proper forms for a trust and starting to save for a suppressor. Given I have a very long want list so I have to decide where along the line a suppressor really fits in. That being said part of my process that I take before making any kind of 'major' purchase is to first learn about whatever it is I am thinking about buying.

After that I think it over, then I oogle over it, then I make a calculated choice. In other words I don't do much impulse buying. I would just assume learn and save and then buy the 'best' choice for me from the get go.

I know there are numerous types of suppressor designs. Here is just a sample of what I am talking about.

Stacked Baffles

The One Piece

And there are probably many other types. I have even seen some types that go over the barrel and others that have springs in them.

Just like with everything else I dive into the sheer numbers of styles and types are daunting. Initially I am attracted to the one piece type. To me they seem like they are less prone to fail. There are not multiple parts and to me more simple is better. Of course I want effective but I am not sure of the complex designs.

What are the pros and cons to one type or the other? I personally would like one that I can take apart and clean if I want to. But what I am really asking is for a basic discussion on pros and cons of these sometimes funky designs you can find by searching google.

A second question that might be a bit more straight forward is what kind of effects does running a suppressor have on the gun itself? By nature a suppressor captures the muzzle blast and contains it... and by default you wind up with much more back pressure.

If you did nothing else how much would it increase pressure on say a 5.56? (but feel free to enlighten me about others if you want). Would running a suppressor cause a more violent slam of the Bolt on an AR? I also assume it does make your gun run dirty because simply put you are trapping a lot of those gases. Is an adjustable gas block really a 'must' or is that more of a nicety? Is any consideration given to the buffer spring?

I've shot with a suppressor on a number of times, but not a lot. I recall once I shot a suppressed pistol and the whole time I was getting peppered in the face. I guess it was just blow back.

Basically what are the things to look for if I were to purchase something?

As a side note to this I am no where near buying or owning a suppressor (for now) but within the next 6 months or so I realistically could get set up and have the money to file the papers and all that stuff. It could be sooner than that but I am being general. Also please note I am not really talking or asking about the pros and cons of buying direct or setting up a trust or any of the legal part... I am talking technical here for right now. Later on once I learn more about what I am in for technically speaking then we can get more into the nuts and bolts of the legalese.

But for now which kind of suppressor works better? Which style do you like better and why? Are stacked baffles easier to get baffle strikes vs say the one piece design?

Does barrel length effect anything significant in relation the performance of the suppressor?

Of course the mount does matter too... Some fit over a muzzle device, others slide a few inches over the barrel, others screw right on the barrel. Some have a quick detach function and others do not. I understand to some degree but over time I will have to develop a preference for one or the other.

Anyway you guys get the picture here... so please share some knowledge and/or experience so that I can (eventually) make a wise choice.