Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I would strongly recommend against the KX3 and the 14.5" barrel. Realize that the KX3 is about a half a pound, then imagine it hung out at the end of that barrel. Clearance will be tight with the Lite rail because the threaded portion of the barrel sits within the rail. See my picture of the Phantom flash hider and 14" rail for reference, that is an LMT 14.5" barrel. I found that combination a little too front heavy for my liking unless I had a heavy stock. In my opinion, a pig on the end of that gun will be even worse. Lastly, the KX3 is intended for barrels around 12.5" and lower. It has been rumored that Noveske himself recommends against using it with anything above a 12.5" barrel. I've seen it used with a 13.7" barrel but that combination is basically just to get the gun to legal length so it is not an NFA item.

I just realized that you're intending to use the CTR. That is a horrible match for the 14.5" barrel and 14" rail in my experience. The reason why I went with a 12" rail was I wanted to run MOEs and CTRs on my light guns.
    Last edited by spamsammich; 15 June 2009 at 13:53.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    With the DD M4 series rails a Novekse KX3 will fit inside.

What's the barrel length in this pic? 10.5?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by spamsammich View Post
    I would strongly recommend against the KX3 and the 14.5" barrel. Realize that the KX3 is about a half a pound, then imagine it hung out at the end of that barrel. Clearance will be tight with the Lite rail because the threaded portion of the barrel sits within the rail. See my picture of the Phantom flash hider and 14" rail for reference, that is an LMT 14.5" barrel. I found that combination a little too front heavy for my liking unless I had a heavy stock. In my opinion, a pig on the end of that gun will be even worse. Lastly, the KX3 is intended for barrels around 12.5" and lower. It has been rumored that Noveske himself recommends against using it with anything above a 12.5" barrel. I've seen it used with a 13.7" barrel but that combination is basically just to get the gun to legal length so it is not an NFA item.

I just realized that you're intending to use the CTR. That is a horrible match for the 14.5" barrel and 14" rail in my experience. The reason why I went with a 12" rail was I wanted to run MOEs and CTRs on my light guns.
    Thank you very much for the detailed explanation. I guess I should stay with the DD Lite 12" and 14.5" barrel + Smith Vortex then. Will this be okay with my CTR?

Downloads
    Uploads
    That's pretty much what I'm running. I'm a small guy and the rifle in this configuration causes me no troubles. A Vltor EMOD balances it out a little better once I have lights/vfg and xtm's in place, but not enough to make me want to run with it. I'm actually running this with a MOE stock and grip and like it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Keebsley View Post
    What's the barrel length in this pic? 10.5?

11.5 IIRC.

Downloads
    Uploads
    @spamsammich - thanks for explaining. If this is going to be my final configuration, we would have very similar builds :) If you were to choose, what stock balances best with this set-up? As I understand, I can't use the Magpul UBR because it has a different tube than CTR/MOE (unless I buy another set. ouch!!!) and Vltor looks too busy for me

Downloads
    Uploads
    A Vltor modstock or LMT SOPMOD (expensive!) would also work pretty well. A lot of people are turned off by the EMOD's looks but they just hold so much stuff. Have a look at complete Noveske low profile N4 rifles to get an idea of how the modstocks look. I've been considering getting one of them because I like the cheek weld so much. If you have no need for carrying things like extra batteries, weapon lube, spare parts, etc on the gun, the MOE or CTR should do just fine.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I really like the SOPMOD also but I'm staying away because of the price :) Will just try the CTR first and see how it goes. Thanks.