Quote Originally Posted by Big_Tom View Post
I don't think there are many 308 ARs out there that aren't overgassed. It's almost hereditary. I see and hear about it all the time. Installing adjustable gas systems is best way to take care of it.
That answer is a cop out to me. I understand why manufacturers over-gas their barrels, but it still drives me crazy. Build it to the NATO spec. But then Joe-Bob buys cheap, weak ammo and the upper doesn't run! Well, then many 308 isn't for you...

But this is an argument/discussion that's been had here before. For me, I'm shooting spec or near spec ammo, so I'd prefer a gas port that matches that. I also don't want to have to deal with an adjustable gas block, no matter how good and how well it's supposed to hold the setting. It would just be nice to have manufacturers specify what they've built their product to support. Sadly, this was not the case with my Rainier barrel and it ended up costing me more money to get it to a point where it ran reliably when I could have just gone with another barrel from the beginning.