Quote Originally Posted by Former11B View Post
I also think if the OP only has a 5.56 and doesn't plan on any other (larger) calibers for the forseeable future, he should stick with a 5.56 can due to length and weight savings. Just my .02 in that regard.

In a perfect world, once I get out and about more I will build more rifles. I definitely have my eyes on a .308 build. For now it's 5.56. I also have several pistols that I would like to suppress too but I am trying to keep it simple.

As for that mount....or how the suppressor will mount to the rifle.... Personally I think I will be happier with a very tight fitting mount like the one pictured. I don't like having exposed threads and to be honest over time I am not sure of hanging (even some) weight off the end of a barrel would lead to wobble or messing up threads. For me, I like beefy. Beefy mounts that don't move. Within reason I am not that concerned with weight.

Even if I could have a suppressor on everything (lots of $$$) I still would opt for the beefier sturdier mount. In my personal hierarchy of wants I value accuracy. I don't want to give up accuracy for suppression. I am not running courses or doing any kind of operational military or LEO stuff so weight is lesser of an issue for me.

Right now I am in a 'decent' financial situation so long as I don't blow everything on guns and ammo LOL. I am hoping that going forward things will be good enough to where I can drop a few more grand on 'options' and not worry too much. I would rather drive an old car and have some awesome other stuff... I am not really that into cars...they don't provide near the enjoyment as other things do (for me)...

But that all said, I like quality stuff. I am sure there are probably 20 different ones that I could buy and be fine with any of them. But for right now my scope is limited but looking forward... I am 'starting' with the AR...depending... who knows...

The whole thing about registering and all that bothers me though. (Being honest). I think those laws are stupid. There is no logic in forcing people to pay $200 and to keep a file on them for these. It's not even really the $200. I will still follow the laws as they are and once I am ready I will jump on it. One of my reasons for having or wanting a suppressor is more or less to be polite to the neighbors. I will be able to participate in shooting a lot more frequently if I can tone it down some volume wise. Even though I do live in the country I still have neighbors. To me it's just being considerate... aside from that I just like it.

So I will learn my options and come up with something that I like...and then go for it.