Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Safety Selectors...

I bought another new lower to finish out my 6 ARC build. It's been a while since I built out a lower so apparently some changes have happened with certain products.

Honestly I really like the Battle Arms ambi safety selectors that are on all my rifles. The problem is apparently they have been discontinued (I guess). I went through several sets until I found one that I like. The one thing I absolutely hated about all of the selectors I tried (including Battle Arms) was the off side selector would constantly jab me in the hand. That being said at least at that time they offered a short scalloped selector which fixed everything while still giving me ambi controls.

Now though apparently that option is gone. At very least I wish they would offer a short scalloped selector lever for their newer models. If they do I can't find it online anywhere. The old style levers are not compatible with the new designs.

Now what are my options? I can go with a non Ambi selector. I could buy another Battle Arms (newer version) and take a dremel tool to it but that would probably look like crap and I have no way to add a new finish to it. Or I can find someone else making a good product that fits what I want.

Any ideas? Any leads?

Downloads
    Uploads
    One other option that I didn't think of (at first) was to get a 45 degree safety and hope that it would keep things out of the way. I have no experience with that so I don't really know much other than they exist.

If you are familiar with this option please chime in.

Downloads
    Uploads

Safety Selectors...

I just picked up a Radian Talon 45/90 degree selector. I have a lot of BAD levers, but since acquiring one with my Radian lower, I’ve grown to like the Talon. It uses spring-loaded detent pins to hold the levers in place, eliminating screws that can work loose, and keeping loctite from gumming up the works. They offer an array of accessory levers and it comes with one regular and one short lever. Worth a look.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've moved over to Fortis and Radian selectors. The Battle Arms design was groundbreaking at the time, but the screws are the weak point. There are better designs out there now.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I understand why they changed. People that are really hard on their selectors during training/use probably break the heads off the screws. I get that. I am glad it was improved. People in the above mentioned category tend to set the pace on things.

Of all the things I am particular about safety selectors are something I am admittedly not using like a lot of other people do in public/team settings. 99% of the time I am shooting at home or at a ranch with no one within 3 miles of me. That being the case I have not trained on, nor have I ever broken a safety selector. I use it when I need it but I am not (at least yet) in a situation where it's a part of my regiment.

What bugs me is it's kind of like having someone intentionally putting a pebble in your shoe and telling you to go run a mile. That's what it's kind of like to me when I have those levers jabbing me in the hand. That has absolutely nothing to do with the design of how the levers attach to the cross bolt (I don't know the technical name) but rather the lever itself.

At very least one would think they could make a replacement lever and sell it to people like me for $20 or something. It seems like an easy enough solution but apparently it's not happening.

On another note, I did find a company out of California that says they have the older levers in stock still so I will try and order them. If I ever break a lever off I will switch the selector design on all my rifles. I wouldn't care one way or another if it's the new design or not other than the physical shape of the weak side lever irritating me to death.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Nothing but Talons for me, they are rock solid. I have them on all my rifles... I do medium levers for both sides, on my last order with them I called and they put together 5 sets of just mediums, otherwise most of their kits consist of a long and short lever.
    The best way to survive a violent encounter is to be the one inflicting the most violence.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Still like the Noveske ambi's the best.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I heard back from Battle Arms. Apparently they still make the old ones but if you want a set you have to piece it together from their replacement parts section.

Anyway I found some new old stock that should be on the way already.

I would love to switch to the newer design from them or from Radian but as far as I know they don't offer scalloped levers for those selectors.

The 45 degree (ish) ones are really interesting.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    I heard back from Battle Arms. Apparently they still make the old ones but if you want a set you have to piece it together from their replacement parts section.

Anyway I found some new old stock that should be on the way already.

I would love to switch to the newer design from them or from Radian but as far as I know they don't offer scalloped levers for those selectors.

The 45 degree (ish) ones are really interesting.
    Name:  624C6827-92DD-4FC2-9C60-511C57D45405.jpeg
Views: 314
Size:  996.7 KB

I like the 60/90* Rainier/BAD selector I’ve got but haven’t ventured too deep into the selector world. I found I prefer a 90* Ambi throw for DMR/Precision rifle shooting

I’ve got KAC ambis in my others. Have installed Radian Talons in other rifles for friends but that’s as far as I’ve gotten with them

Downloads
    Uploads
    Could look at Geissele. I’ve never touched one of their safeties but their configurable one has an interesting dog leg option.

Pic jacked from google images.

Name:  A75F5249-B997-4D35-B854-69FADDDAEBE5.jpeg
Views: 296
Size:  275.9 KB
    -One Nation, Under God

-"The bad news is time flies. The good news is you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Aragorn View Post
    Could look at Geissele. I’ve never touched one of their safeties but their configurable one has an interesting dog leg option.

Pic jacked from google images.

Name:  A75F5249-B997-4D35-B854-69FADDDAEBE5.jpeg
Views: 296
Size:  275.9 KB
    That looks kind of weird! LOL!

I am pretty sure I got it sorted out already. I bought a new (old stock) like the ones I use now and in a pinch (at least for now) I can piece one together from the replacement parts section at Battle Arms.

The one I bought already has a shipping notification so hopefully I will get it in the next few days.

I definitely would not mind upgrading and/or trying out the 45 degree switches. 45 degrees with a short lever possibly could alleviate my singular complaint about any of the options but I won't know until I handle a rifle set up like that.

I definitely like ambi controls but the analogy about running with a rock in my shoe is definitely true. Yes, those products might be awesome but if they jab me in the hand all day that's a big fat no go. I would rather not have ambi than have to live with that.

Anyway (at least for now) it's a moot point because I seemingly found what I was after.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Alamo, I know you've found your solution for now, so this isn't meant to "answer" your question, just additional discussion...

When I was stationed in CA and had to configure some lowers to be compliant, I started to learn how to work the safety with my strong side middle finger on an ambi safety. It was weird at first, but then it became normal. When I moved back to FL, I started putting ambi safeties on all my lowers (run 'n gun and precision...precision for different reasons) and when shooting, I kept the middle finger technique. As a result, I'm much "faster" (however that's defined) with an ambi than having to reach for the normal safety with my strong side thumb.

For me, having a full-sized MILSPEC-type safety lever hitting my strong side hand wasn't an issue, but I can understand why it can be for those with fuller hands. To me, it seems like the KAC reduced or short throw strong side lever is a decent option. Unfortunately it still relies on an antiquated attachment method (screw into barrel). That said, while I only have a couple of KAC safeties, none of them have broken, but one of my BAD safeties has.

Anywho, it's an interesting discussion, as both ergonomics and basic fit can do a lot for productivity, or hinder it, in any discipline.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Absolutely a great conversation to have, and not just about the gear side of things. There is an entire safety discussion to be had in regards to safeties. If someone was on a team (military/swat/etc) when and where to engage and not engage the safety is a huge deal.

As for me I am merely a for fun shooter. If I didn't have a safety at all on the rifle it's ok for what I do. Don't load a round if you are not pointed downrange or ready to fire and keep your fingers off the trigger.

That said the minute I step out of my back yard I have to be a lot more aware. Not even to mention team environments would make the doctrine and use a real steep learning curve.

Of course I would love to learn all that stuff but I simply don't use it. Just being totally realistic about it.

In all honesty I can see how the BAD levers are frowned on by a lot of people. They rely on the strength of a screw and little more. So on that level a much better design is needed. The newer dove tail types seem to me to be a lot more robust.

I would like to try them out for sure but I definitely don't want to sacrifice my overall shooting pleasure. With that I am totally open to learning new things. In fact I like learning.

If I ever break a lever I will change all of mine out. Honestly I wish they would make a scalloped lever that fits on the dovetail type designs. If they did I would be having a totally different conversation right now. I would probably be debating on changing all of my safeties out to newer designs.

The whole underlying topic about selectors is definitely a good one. If I were conducting a class of brand new people that would probably be on the day 1 agenda as in this is how you don't accidentally shoot someone.

I definitely find it interesting to hear you guys talk shop. I've learned a ton just by seeing how these conversations evolve.

Quote Originally Posted by gatordev View Post
    Alamo, I know you've found your solution for now, so this isn't meant to "answer" your question, just additional discussion...

When I was stationed in CA and had to configure some lowers to be compliant, I started to learn how to work the safety with my strong side middle finger on an ambi safety. It was weird at first, but then it became normal. When I moved back to FL, I started putting ambi safeties on all my lowers (run 'n gun and precision...precision for different reasons) and when shooting, I kept the middle finger technique. As a result, I'm much "faster" (however that's defined) with an ambi than having to reach for the normal safety with my strong side thumb.

For me, having a full-sized MILSPEC-type safety lever hitting my strong side hand wasn't an issue, but I can understand why it can be for those with fuller hands. To me, it seems like the KAC reduced or short throw strong side lever is a decent option. Unfortunately it still relies on an antiquated attachment method (screw into barrel). That said, while I only have a couple of KAC safeties, none of them have broken, but one of my BAD safeties has.

Anywho, it's an interesting discussion, as both ergonomics and basic fit can do a lot for productivity, or hinder it, in any discipline.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    I bought another new lower to finish out my 6 ARC build. It's been a while since I built out a lower so apparently some changes have happened with certain products.

Honestly I really like the Battle Arms ambi safety selectors that are on all my rifles. The problem is apparently they have been discontinued (I guess). I went through several sets until I found one that I like. The one thing I absolutely hated about all of the selectors I tried (including Battle Arms) was the off side selector would constantly jab me in the hand. That being said at least at that time they offered a short scalloped selector which fixed everything while still giving me ambi controls.

Now though apparently that option is gone. At very least I wish they would offer a short scalloped selector lever for their newer models. If they do I can't find it online anywhere. The old style levers are not compatible with the new designs.

Now what are my options? I can go with a non Ambi selector. I could buy another Battle Arms (newer version) and take a dremel tool to it but that would probably look like crap and I have no way to add a new finish to it. Or I can find someone else making a good product that fits what I want.
    Lol...wow..

Just buy what you want and stop bipolaring around...

Edit to add..search on ar15dotcoms EE , tacswap .. wtb ads can find about anything

Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    I've moved over to Fortis and Radian selectors. The Battle Arms design was groundbreaking at the time, but the screws are the weak point. There are better designs out there now.
    This.

Done.
    Last edited by mustangfreek; 16 October 2021 at 02:54.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I was shopping online and needed to add something extra so I could use a discount code. I added a Radian Talon Ambi Safety, which I got installed earlier today on one of my rifles (for testing).

So far I like it a lot. I put it in as a 45 degree and its WAY faster and easier to manipulate. The manual of arms so to speak are a lot more fluid.

I am testing it out more as I go along so this is just first impressions.

The question I have is are there any 'cons' to running a 45 degree safety (at least according to you guys)?

Edit: My previous concerns about the switch jabbing me in the hand was a non issue. From the previously tested Battle Arms assortment of levers (at 90 degrees) is where that came from... but with this one it's not a problem.
    Last edited by alamo5000; 28 February 2023 at 20:47.