Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 25 Yard zeroing

Downloads
    Uploads

25 Yard zeroing

Ok, so I'm going out tomorrow to zero my new AR with iron sights. I'm starting out at 25 meters with a 25 meter zeroing target. My question is should I startoff with my front sight post as is from the factory or should I bring it down level with the front sight base as someone suggested?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Start with a battle sight zero (BSZ). Start with your front sight post flush with the base. Then take your rear sight and turn the windage knob until the aperture is all the way to the left. Now count how many clicks it takes to get all the way to the right. Divide that number in half and go that many clicks back to the left. That will get you as true center as possible without having to relying on the index lines.

Good luck, be safe, and have fun.
    SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM
    Email ||| Webpage ||| Facebook ||| Flickr ||| YouTube Channel ||| Twitter ||| Instagram

Downloads
    Uploads
    So after I do this do I just align my rear sight with the top of the front sight base when I fire my first 3 to 5 shots?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes. Align the top of the front sight post in the middle of the rear aperture. I would suggest that you stick with 5 round sets to ensure you are getting tight groups. Absolutely no less than 5. When you are getting all of your 5 rounds inside about a 2-3 inch circle, you can make your adjustments. Make sure that you shoot 2-3 5 round sets before you start to make adjustments. You first need to confirm that your fundamentals are in place. Note: 2-3 inch groups are just a suggestion. Some prefer tighter groups, while others are willing to settle in something less strict.

Once you determine if you need to make some adjustments remember that if you need to move your rounds down, raise your front sight post up. If you need to move your rounds up, lower your front sight post down. If you need to move your rounds to the right, move your read aperture to the right and vise versa for the left.
    SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM
    Email ||| Webpage ||| Facebook ||| Flickr ||| YouTube Channel ||| Twitter ||| Instagram

Downloads
    Uploads
    Jakeman,

This tutorial might help with zeroing....http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum...USTMENT-BASICS

If you'd like a copy of the Army Marksmanship manual, just drop me an IM with your email address.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by zero7one View Post
    Yes. Align the top of the front sight post in the middle of the rear aperture. .
    Well I guess I am confused. If I lower my front sight post flush with the base, how can I align my rear sight with the post?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by jakeman View Post
    Well I guess I am confused. If I lower my front sight post flush with the base, how can I align my rear sight with the post?
    Check out the link that Quib posted. It is really helpful. You don't turn the front sight all the way down for a Battle Sight Zero. You turn it down or up until the BOTTOM of the front sight post is flush with the front sight base, like in the picture.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Give me a minute to post an illustration.......

ETA:

Downloads
    Uploads
    If that is not clear enough let me know. I'll see what else I can put together.

ETA: That offer still stands if you would like a copy of the Marksmanship FM sent to you.

Downloads
    Uploads

Downloads
    Uploads
    Ahhhhh I see, sorry I didn't have my coffee yet when I first asked this. I was thinking top of post flush with base. Thanks to all you have been very helpful.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Glad to help.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Tell me if this isn't the most informative AR15 site without the drama? Great info as always guys.

Downloads
    Uploads

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hi, first time posting here. I'm new to AR's but not new to shooting (I built my own 1911 from the ground up about 6 months ago). I'm going to be zeroing my first AR in a couple of weeks as soon as the barrel arrives. Can an AR be "bore sighted" in the same way as a bolt action rifle? In other words, separate the upper receiver from the lower with the BCG removed, set the upper on sand bags with the bore perfectly in line with the target and then adjust the sights to be in line with the target? Will this save some ammo or time? Or should I just follow whats posted above?

Thanks.